• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Editing something in your option files is technically a modified client? Then Changing my render distance or FOV in my options file would be modifying my client as well.
The ability to change your gamma is built into vanilla Minecraft.

Considering the Admins have deemed it acceptable to have bright textures its apparent that having increased gamma should also be allowed considering they do the exact same thing.

Default MC on Moonbase9:

Now look at the following two images. One of which has increased gamma (editing through the options text file) And the other being a custom Redcraft texture pack.

It's impossible to ban someone for increasing their gamma now unless you see them in their video settings and see 1000% brightness.
It's modifying something that isn't supposed to be modifiable, it's modifying a client. That doesn't mean that I disagree with the main point. Changing FoV and Render Distance past the normal options would be modifying your client too, but for some reason it's allowed. You don't need to post the same pictures and say the same thing over, I get it. The rules are just rather vague and double standardized, so maybe we should work to get the rules changed a bit.

Assasinator25

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
  1. Any texture pack worth its weight in salt will come with a tutorial.
  2. brightness and gamma are 2 different things where as brightness is general light intensity gamma is alot more complicated and involves a fair amount of maths, long and complicated explanation Short and simple is that gamma basically boosts light in shadowed areas.
  1. I don't watch the yogscast and i'm willing to bet alot of players on mcgamers servers don't either.
  2. A texture pack that increases the brightness of the color used in some/all the blocks is nothing to do with gamma like i said gamma basically boosts light in shaded areas a texture pack changes the texture of the blocks they are completely different.
  3. A Full bright mod effects the gamma unlike a texture pack.
  4. x-ray texture pack is taking it to far and we cross the line well before it.
For future reference just because 2 things do similar thing doesn't mean there the same other wise we would say Hydrochloric acid and boiling hot water are the same because they both burn you (not the best example but you see my point).

My first post was not meant to cause arguments it was ment to tell you why one is ban-able but the other is not.

P.S - gamma is not as simple as that it is alot more complicated but to keep it brief i (for lack of a better word) dumed it down alot .
Brightness is the same thing as gamma -_- Gamma increases brightness.lmao

Otto

Diamond
Reaction score
I agree. I was banned for 'gamma' in one of my vids. :(

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Please do not post on threads that have been inactive for over 30 days and are no longer relevant

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci