• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Teaming is unfair and anti-competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
The topics of teams has been brought up so many times before that each thread about it has started to meld together in the same arguments.

I won't waste my time reiterating my points as I've done as I have in the past. But as one of the head policy makers for this community, I must state that there is no feasible nor easy way for us to implement any sort of ban on teaming. We can't remove teaming any more than we can remove users using gaming keyboards and mice. Coding a script for it would be nearly impossible to establish a criteria for. Having our mods look for it would require a lot of visual interpretation and would ultimately be a waste of their time. And having an established rule on bans for teams would instill a series of counter-arguments opposing the ban; everyone is okay with rules against hacking and abuse, but teaming lies in a grey area that people will fight for and against. It's too much of a headache for such a minor thing.

If you want to see just how well having a rule against teaming goes, a certain other community has it in their rules that teams of 3 or more are not allowed. Yet teams of seven still occur over there, and not a single effective punishment is to be found.

I think that the question of trash talk, e.g. "eZ" or "get rekt" is another discussion entirely. You can have a team who is polite, and you can have a solo who's a jerk. We can discuss the two issues separately.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The topics of teams has been brought up so many times before that each thread about it has started to meld together in the same arguments.

I won't waste my time reiterating my points as I've done as I have in the past. But as one of the head policy makers for this community, I must state that there is no feasible nor easy way for us to implement any sort of ban on teaming. We can't remove teaming any more than we can remove users using gaming keyboards and mice. Coding a script for it would be nearly impossible to establish a criteria for. Having our mods look for it would require a lot of visual interpretation and would ultimately be a waste of their time. And having an established rule on bans for teams would instill a series of counter-arguments opposing the ban; everyone is okay with rules against hacking and abuse, but teaming lies in a grey area that people will fight for and against. It's too much of a headache for such a minor thing.

If you want to see just how well having a rule against teaming goes, a certain other community has it in their rules that teams of 3 or more are not allowed. Yet teams of seven still occur over there, and not a single effective punishment is to be found.

I think that the question of trash talk, e.g. "eZ" or "get rekt" is another discussion entirely. You can have a team who is polite, and you can have a solo who's a jerk. We can discuss the two issues separately.
I respect all that you've said here except for calling teaming a 'minor thing'. With all due respect, this could not be further from the truth. I think you do a fantastic job and do not intend this as a criticism, but you have to play the game (specifically EU) in order to understand that teaming there is a cancer to the servers. If nothing is done about it I'm leaving (not intended as a threat), because due to teams and hackers the EU servers simply aren't fun anymore- many players would agree with me on this; lots of players have been taking leaves of absence. I would stay if I were able to become mod, but I can't because of some bull**** reasons so there really is nothing here for me anymore.

Last edited:

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
Yes, teams are a pain in the rear. They're cheap, unfair, and put a serious hurdle in the way of players who just want to casually play solo.

But...

Anybody can team. At this point, if you're not teaming, you might as well join them. Now, I know that "pro" players probably can wipe an entire team out using only their arse to move the mouse and their nose to push WASD, but let's refer to the casual player. A normal player going up against two normal players = death, and that's at the fault of the person who didn't team since they also had the ability to get together with somebody else and wreck stuff.

Teaming is as easy as can be, unless your social skills suck eggs. Yes, dying by them when all you want to do is play solo does suck, but it's unfortunately how the game has to be played since enforcing it would, well, be silly.

Basically, my point is, is that while teams are unfair to the solo player, they can be taken advantage of by any player. If you chose to solo, you'll know the hurdles that you'll have to face in-game, and that's how it has to be.

E

Ephiza

I respect all that you've said here except for calling teaming a 'minor thing'. With all due respect, this could not be further from the truth. I think you do a fantastic job and do not intend this as a criticism, but you have to play the game (specifically EU) in order to understand that teaming there is a cancer to the servers. If nothing is done about it I'm leaving (not intended as a threat), because due to teams and hackers the EU servers simply aren't fun anymore- many players would agree with me on this; lots of players have been taking leaves of absence. I would stay if I were able to become mod, but I can't because of some bull**** reasons so there really is nothing here for me anymore.
I was playing on EU with a friend the other day and won 2 games. Both of them had teams of 3 with players with over 600 wins. And I have 120 ping to US. And my friend died off of spawn, so I had to solo them.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Yes, teams are a pain in the rear. They're cheap, unfair, and put a serious hurdle in the way of players who just want to casually play solo.

But...

Anybody can team. At this point, if you're not teaming, you might as well join them. Now, I know that "pro" players probably can wipe an entire team out using only their arse to move the mouse and their nose to push WASD, but let's refer to the casual player. A normal player going up against two normal players = death, and that's at the fault of the person who didn't team since they also had the ability to get together with somebody else and wreck stuff.

Teaming is as easy as can be, unless your social skills suck eggs. Yes, dying by them when all you want to do is play solo does suck, but it's unfortunately how the game has to be played since enforcing it would, well, be silly.

Basically, my point is, is that while teams are unfair to the solo player, they can be taken advantage of by any player. If you chose to solo, you'll know the hurdles that you'll have to face in-game, and that's how it has to be.
NOOOOOOO

This post is half the reason why I'm finding this game so unplayable right now. SG should be played primarily solo. I'm not saying teaming should be against the rules, but most people actually play the game because they enjoy it, and to enjoy it, YOU DON'T NEED A TEAMMATE.

There are a ton of teams. You play 5 games, you get killed by teams every time. So what do most people do? After getting annoyed at the teams, they team themselves because they know that's the only way that they can win. Now they team someone else. That person decides it's impossible to win without teaming, so what does he do? He teams. It's a never ending cycle and it means that there are just more and more teams to the point where I can't play a game without running into 3+ teams. If it continues on like this every lobby will just be 6 4-teams hacking who say "ez" to each other as soon as they kill each other.

And as for this: ", and that's at the fault of the person who didn't team since they also had the ability to get together with somebody else and wreck stuff."

Are you kidding? Is that actually serious? Someone playing solo deserves to be teamed on because they should have teamed themselves? I mean ffs... what has this community come to...

E

Ephiza

NOOOOOOO

This post is half the reason why I'm finding this game so unplayable right now. SG should be played primarily solo. I'm not saying teaming should be against the rules, but most people actually play the game because they enjoy it, and to enjoy it, YOU DON'T NEED A TEAMMATE.

There are a ton of teams. You play 5 games, you get killed by teams every time. So what do most people do? After getting annoyed at the teams, they team themselves because they know that's the only way that they can win. Now they team someone else. That person decides it's impossible to win without teaming, so what does he do? He teams. It's a never ending cycle and it means that there are just more and more teams to the point where I can't play a game without running into 3+ teams. If it continues on like this every lobby will just be 6 4-teams hacking who say "ez" to each other as soon as they kill each other.

And as for this: ", and that's at the fault of the person who didn't team since they also had the ability to get together with somebody else and wreck stuff."

Are you kidding? Is that actually serious? Someone playing solo deserves to be teamed on because they should have teamed themselves? I mean ffs... what has this community come to...
Or ya know..you could take teams out with some luck :D. There are mostly teams in the summer, during school days I hardly find teams, and if I do, most of the time it isn't really a challenge.

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, but really... using cancer in that context is taking it a bit too far.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said, but really... using cancer in that context is taking it a bit too far.
I apologise if you feel I've used the term too lightly, but I think the comparison is apt- like desk said, teams are a phenomenon that in my view damage the servers and grow gradually over time.

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
I apologise if you feel I've used the term too lightly, but I think the comparison is apt- like desk said, teams are a phenomenon that in my view damage the servers and grow gradually over time.
Nah it's fine, someone that I know is suffering from cancer so I'm a bit sensitive about it.

AGFire2013

District 13
Reaction score
As annoying as some teams can be, you have to remember that some of them are just people who want to have fun and play MCSG with their friends.

Competitive teams are irritating too, but as Dave said, it's too hard to deal with and the best thing is to just take the game more lightly and don't let yourself get frustrated over it. If they're impolite to you, you can always report them.

Anyway, you can always team yourself (I know it makes you look bad) if there's nothing else you can do and get killed by them all the time. Really, there's all kinds of solutions to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci