• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
Hey Y'all

So tomorrow at school I have to read a paragraph of a prayer thought of thing in front of A LOT of people, I have done this before, and let's just say, after that I needed showers multiple times. But now I have to read even MORE and my stomach is just panicking and I'm having a nervous break down, it's a way of gaining confidence, however I'm so frightened, the judgement that fills up the air, I can feel it!

So, does anyone have ANY advice on speaking to a large audience, I'm terrified! Anything is much appreciated!

Reactions: Wyz

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
Hey MC,
I remember my first time speaking to a large crowd, I was crapping myself. But I went up there did it and thought. "Well that was easy." I kinda forgot I was speaking to a crowd and just read it like I was speaking to a friend. It is hard not to be scared first time, but all it is is reading? Easy Peesy, right?

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
Hey there :)
I for one, am quite a fan of public speaking. I think it's mainly because I am a staff member, and I usually have to have discussions with people all the time. While they are not scripted, whenever I have to have a serious chat with someone, or relay some information, I can usually just let the words flow in a professional way.

So my main advice would be to talk with your friends first. Hop onto the Teamspeak and practice reciting the text around people that you trust. Get advice on how to project, pronounce, etc. It's always a lot easier for me to talk professionally if I'm around people that I trust.

Chobski

Diamond
Reaction score
Hey Y'all

So tomorrow at school I have to read a paragraph of a prayer thought of thing in front of A LOT of people, I have done this before, and let's just say, after that I needed showers multiple times. But now I have to read even MORE and my stomach is just panicking and I'm having a nervous break down, it's a way of gaining confidence, however I'm so frightened, the judgement that fills up the air, I can feel it!

So, does anyone have ANY advice on speaking to a large audience, I'm terrified! Anything is much appreciated!
Just two tips:
  • Project your voice to the back of the room you are speaking in.
  • Engage with your audience e.g. Look them in the eye and make sure you give everyone a glance.

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score
Dont worry. This is exactly what happens to me all the time when I have to read something infront of people in school. The more you do it the more comfortable you will become with public speaking. Dont panic just take deep breaths and relax. Its not a big deal and you have to tell yourself its going to be ok. No one will judge you, they probably dont care if you mess up. I know from experience. Before you know it , it will be all over and will be just fine. Stay strong and good luck. :)

Writer

Career
Reaction score
Hey! So, first thing is try not to just read straight from the paragraph, try and look up and make eye contact with a few members of the audience and they will be engaged. Perhaps a few hand gestures won't hurt, but it's not for everyone! :) Also, pretend they're all rainbow unicorns, right? You'll be smiling the whole time and do amazingly! Good luck, I hope it goes fabulously! :)

iDufferz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Most of the fear is before you even begin speaking, you build up tension and fear. When you start reading you will realise its not that bad. Just dont think about it, do it.

Redwash11

Platinum
Reaction score
I perform a lot for crowds of people, it's naturally easy for me. Just take a big breath and pretend the people are just Muppets.

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
I too do a lot of public speaking and performances as I am a flight sergeant in the ATC. As ex staff I also had to public speak too. The way I see it is I am the one who truly decides how well it goes and being nervous about it just ruins it for myself. If you relax you will do a better job as well as enjoy it more.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Picture your ideal "You". The person you want to be when you're public speaking, like Morgan Freeman or something. And then close your eyes. (Or just zone out and look only at the paper). And then pretend you're on TeamSpeak or something. Maybe try to get some practice using Open Mic Night?

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
Hey MC,
I remember my first time speaking to a large crowd, I was crapping myself. But I went up there did it and thought. "Well that was easy." I kinda forgot I was speaking to a crowd and just read it like I was speaking to a friend. It is hard not to be scared first time, but all it is is reading? Easy Peesy, right?
Hey there :)
I for one, am quite a fan of public speaking. I think it's mainly because I am a staff member, and I usually have to have discussions with people all the time. While they are not scripted, whenever I have to have a serious chat with someone, or relay some information, I can usually just let the words flow in a professional way.

So my main advice would be to talk with your friends first. Hop onto the Teamspeak and practice reciting the text around people that you trust. Get advice on how to project, pronounce, etc. It's always a lot easier for me to talk professionally if I'm around people that I trust.
Dont worry. This is exactly what happens to me all the time when I have to read something infront of people in school. The more you do it the more comfortable you will become with public speaking. Dont panic just take deep breaths and relax. Its not a big deal and you have to tell yourself its going to be ok. No one will judge you, they probably dont care if you mess up. I know from experience. Before you know it , it will be all over and will be just fine. Stay strong and good luck. :)
Most of the fear is before you even begin speaking, you build up tension and fear. When you start reading you will realise its not that bad. Just dont think about it, do it.
I too do a lot of public speaking and performances as I am a flight sergeant in the ATC. As ex staff I also had to public speak too. The way I see it is I am the one who truly decides how well it goes and being nervous about it just ruins it for myself. If you relax you will do a better job as well as enjoy it more.
Thank You Everyone! I am feeling much better, I'm not sure about looking up and making eye contact, but definetly imagining them as unicorns and stuff and saying to myself it will be alright will definety help! I agree, it's the tension of walking up to the tabernacle that scared me the most! I wish to use your advice tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci