• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is a gaming mouse/keyboard any different from using an ordinary one?

T

Tellib98

When playing survival games, I usually use just my keyboard on my MacBook Pro because it's easy to push the keys down rather than some bulky gaming keyboard. Same thing with the mouse; I got an Apple magic mouse and this thing doesn't have a scroll wheel or anything besides a right and left click, but it helps me a lot, especially since I use the right click as the sprint button.

Sure, a gaming mouse would have more buttons, a scroll wheel, etc. but is it really worth it rather than using some mouse not used for gaming? Is it easier to move or are you able to click/type faster? What would be the positives of having a gaming rather than an ordinary? Have you ever switched and noticed any improvements (or down sides)? :confused:

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
When playing survival games, I usually use just my keyboard on my MacBook Pro because it's easy to push the keys down rather than some bulky gaming keyboard. Same thing with the mouse; I got an Apple magic mouse and this thing doesn't have a scroll wheel or anything besides a right and left click, but it helps me a lot, especially since I use the right click as the sprint button.

Sure, a gaming mouse would have more buttons, a scroll wheel, etc. but is it really worth it rather than using some mouse not used for gaming? Is it easier to move or are you able to click/type faster? What would be the positives of having a gaming rather than an ordinary? Have you ever switched and noticed any improvements (or down sides)? :confused:
In my opinion the mouse is more important than the keyboard, as every mouse has different hand feel to it, you have macros and everything + I haven't heard anything good about using Magic Mouse for gaming, so you might wanna switch out :3

for the keyboards, some have macros too, but it's up to you for the typing stuff and how you feel about the typings and stuff.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
Gaming mice and keyboards feel different on your hands that normal keyboards and mice. It's hard to explain.

Mayra

Platinum
Reaction score
That is such an odd set up... omg.
I have a macbook, and I've actually purchased a separate keyboard and mouse. I think it's a lot better..... but maybe it's just my mind making me think that way.

average_name

Career
Reaction score
Mechanical keyboards feel much better to use IMO. Also "gaming" keyboards have anti ghosting, which is also good, since it kinda sucks when you press a key and it doesn't register. Mechanical keyboards tend to last much longer as well.

The mouse helps a bit with accuracy and having the buttons on the side help as well.

While they do cost a lot more, you also have to consider how much longer they last.

WhiteJade

Spectator
Reaction score
Sure, people talk about ''Cherry Browns'' and ''Anti-Ghosting''. Fancy words, they really are. I went from a crappy Acer keyboard that came with my PC, to a Logitech G19, a keyboard that costs €150,-
I did not buy it though, but to be honest, it's not as good as I wanted it to be. It has macros on the left side, which I rarely use because they are too far away. If I would actually use them, I need my pinky finger, which I have on Shift, so that doesn't really work. Anti-Ghosting? No difference, in Minecraft then.
The Cherry MS Brown Switches, well, this is where you have me. They feel amazing, but to be honest, spending that much money on a keyboard for something that just feels nicer to type on (for gaming it isn't much), I wouldn't bother to spend that much money. The cheapest keyboard with those switches costs €70, if you really want it, go ahead.

And that was my rant on fancy keyboards.

D

Damien // Teepwn

The main reason, is pretty much that they're built for gaming instead of everyday use.

The mice tend to be shaped differently to fit more comfortably into your hand and give you more control. They can also contain macros (configurable buttons) of the side of them. These help to do simple tasks of using the rod and FnS however is completely unnecessary. Most of them physically let you click faster aswell as register them faster.

As for how it plays in Minecraft, I'd say it's not that bad. The shape of gaming moice can be weird to some at first and you might actually find a normal one easier. Macros aren't really necessary if you know how to accurately scroll. The only real let down is a slower clicking speed. It isn't major, but it is definitely noticeable. In MCSG, this can sometimes be a problem due to the fact that your hits aren't registering as fast as his giving him the upper hand.

Keyboards, I do not know much about as I do not own a gaming/mechanical keyboard. From what I am aware, they last a lot longer than regular keyboards, make AMAZING sounds, and have 'anti-ghosting'. I suppose this somewhat helps you so that you keystrokes always register but I don't think it's that bad. I remember in <1.6 when everyone would blame their death on: 'ugh, my sprint didn't register/start! gaonpobovfghtnoirbsa.'

TL;DR: Slower clicking speed with regular mouse and mechanical keyboards make heavenly sounds.

LovinMcBitz

Platinum
Reaction score
A gaming mouse will make a difference, like a big difference. Now a mechanical/Gaming keyboard will make a slight difference and they have a better response rate the normal membrane keyboards (I know this because i have both) :p

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
Keyboards really don't matter.

Mice matter a tad bit more, but still they barely make a difference, at least to me, but then again I don't play anything competitively.

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
To be honest neither really matter. What is more important is tactics and affective use of your secondaries. Some people play on laptops, so keyboard doesn't really matter. PracticeCactus proves that you don't need a gaming mouse either to be good. Neither are important though have a gaming mouse is better because as Damien // Teepwn said, "one is Built for gaming while the other is for everyday use".

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
Keyboards really don't matter.

Mice matter a tad bit more, but still they barely make a difference, at least to me, but then again I don't play anything competitively.
I love your signature... I liked your post because of it. Feel free to PM me sometime :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci