• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to Play Defensive

Caidanse

Spectator
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Caidanse and for my first message on the forums I decided to do a guide on how to play defensive on MCSG. In the community, there are many misconceptions on the defensive play style and how to actually play defensive and I'm here to clear all that up, and show you how to properly play defensive.

The Defensive Play Style

The most common misconception with playing defensive is that the first thing you do is to run. If you run without gauging your foe's skill or weapon, you most likely will be killed. When approaching your opponent your goal is to be able to see what sword he has. In order to do this without sustaining any damage is to approach him while keeping your distance with your fishing rod. To clarify, what I mean is that you approach him, and as he rushes you with his sword, rod him back then run. This is also a very good indicator of skill level, depending how they react to your "rush". Once you have determined what sword your opponent has then you can plan accordingly. If he has better gear than you or completely out skills you, I recommend baiting him to chase you and move swiftly along the map to gain advantages. For example, climbing a hill or a mountain to get crits + fall damage, or shooting arrows behind corners of buildings, or even having him run into another player so then you can clean up the victor. While some of you may believe this to be "cheap" it is surprisingly effective and you do not need as much pvp skill as offensive players.

Secondaries

The best defensive players have mastery over their secondaries and are able to create scenarios with them as the victor. A defensive player's favorite weapon most likely will be the bow, so if you want to commit to be a defensive player, learning the bow is the first thing you should do. Don't worry about shots 20 blocks + however from shots 4-16 blocks away from the other player is where you should be able to land most of your shots. The most famous tactic with the bow is to drain your opponents health with the arrows then go in for the sword once they are low. This is very effective in death match as the other player has no place to run. An unpopular way to use the bow is to hide behind a corner, and once they come around shoot them and then start swinging your sword. This will give you a combo akin to a fishing combo however with much more hearts given as the arrow acts as the fishing rod. The FnS isn't as popular with defensive players as offensive players, but the main use for FnS is to allow yourself to retreat from other players or give you time to run away. Clever uses for the FnS is to use invisible fire on the walls to create a trap for the players, or using it to light up an unsuspecting foe who is looking in a chest or crafting table.

Rod Hitting

I'm giving rod their own separate category because of one tactic. Rod Hitting. Rod hitting essentially allows you to do twice the damage of a sword hit using the aid of a rod. For example, if I used a rod hit, I would double the damage of my wood sword effectively making it an iron sword if all my hits were rod hits. To preform a rod hit is very simple. First you hit them with a fishing rod bobber, then right after hit them with your sword. The sword hit has to come almost immediately after the bobber or else it will not register as two hits. This is very important for defensive players as it allows us to "buff" our sword even if it is something like a wooden sword. If you don't understand my explanation, watch this video from EdTheG who explains it quite well. Skip To 0:32 in the video if you want to see it.

Misplacement

Misplacement is a way to get insane combos with nothing but the use of your sword. This means if you are under stacked you still will be able to kill your opponent. When you misplace correctly, you can get anywhere from 4-6 hit combos and it will appear you have some sort of reach hacks. Misplacement is actually very simple in theory, as the key lies in reseting your sprint before you hit another player. This can be done by W tapping, blocking, shifting, or even jumping. Everyone misplaces differently, but for me, I like to reset my sprint with blocking combined with shifting. I'm a noob at W tapping, however I'm still able to reset my sprint by blocking and shifting. To start off, get a nice easy two hit combo on them, then start to misplace. When you get a hit, block your sword to reset your sprint, and then that will most likely give you a double hit, after that double hit or triple hit, block your sword again, then start swinging again. This same method can be done by shifting instead of blocking if blocking is uncomfortable for you.

Thank you for reading this thread, and I hope I was able to teach you a few things on this thread. Please correct me if there is anything wrong with any tactics and I will try to correct myself if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

T0M

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Defensive players are bow gods ;O
I like to bait myself to gauge their weapon etc

Also, Dejay Thank God for you changing your playstyle ;)

ThaLichBD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Nice thread <3 but Im so impatient so Im not Defensive at all xD

GoontherMC

Career
Reaction score
Nice thread :thumbsup: (y)

Also, watching BiboyQG playing on MCSG and copying his play style helps, he is very defensive.

Ranger_zZ

Diamond
Reaction score
This is a very helpful tip to offensive players like me! Good Job!

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Rod Hitting

1. I'm giving rod their own separate category because of one tactic. Rod Hitting. Rod hitting essentially allows you to do twice the damage of a sword hit using the aid of a rod.

2. For example, if I used a rod hit, I would double the damage of my wood sword effectively making it an iron sword if all my hits were rod hits.

3. To preform a rod hit is very simple. First you hit them with a fishing rod bobber, then right after hit them with your sword. The sword hit has to come almost immediately after the bobber or else it will not register as two hits. This is very important for defensive players as it allows us to "buff" our sword even if it is something like a wooden sword. If you don't understand my explanation, watch this video from EdTheG who explains it quite well. Skip To 0:32 in the video if you want to see it.

8 Blocking

4. Eight blocking is a way to get insane combos with nothing but the use of your sword.

5. 8 Blocking is actually very simple in theory, as the key lies in reseting your sprint before you hit another player. This can be done by W tapping, blocking, shifting, or even jumping. Everyone 8 blocks differently, but for me, I like to reset my sprint with blocking combined with shifting. I'm a noob at W tapping, however I'm still able to reset my sprint by blocking and shifting. To start off, get a nice easy two hit combo on them, then start to 8 block. When you get a hit, block your sword to reset your sprint, and then that will most likely give you a double hit, after that double hit or triple hit, block your sword again, then start swinging again. This same method can be done by shifting instead of blocking if blocking is uncomfortable for you
1. I've heard this around and actually tested it, guess what? It's not true. There is however, a way to register multiple hits in the same tick but no one knows it except hacked client developers and a few randoms (like me).

2. Wooden Swords x2 don't equate to an iron sword but this is irrelevant

3. Once again this doesn't work

4. 8 Blocking is 100% impossible. You simply cannot hit someone from eight blocks away unless a special case is granted (modifications of the game, lag, etc).

5. No no no you got this wrong too. The act of resetting your sprint is what leads to misplacement. Misplacement is what causes combos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci