• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How To Check Your Ping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnishone

Platinum
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So today I'm going to show you how to do a ping test to check your connection to MCSG. For those of you who don't know; A ping test determines the latency (communication delay) between your computer and another computer on a network, in this thread we will be testing the latency between your computer and your prefered MCSG server.

These instructions are going to be for Windows, but I assume it's quite similar on a Mac.

First you have to open up cmd. To do so go to your start menu and type "cmd", select the program displayed below:

Once you have opened cmd, you want to type the following (not including quotation marks): "ping au1.mcsg.in" and hit enter, as shown below:

I chose AU because I live in Australia and that is my preferred server to play on; you can choose au1.mcsg.in, us1.mcsg.in, eu1.mcsg.in, ca1.mcsg.in or as1.mcsg.in.

After you press enter, a bunch of things should pop-up. The thing you're interested in is your average ping, which is highlighted in red below:

So as you can see above, my average was 41ms. That means it takes 41 milliseconds for the signal to make a round trip from my computer to the server and back. So the lower that number, the better your connection.

So my connection is 41ms to AU, tell me what yours is below! (Don't need to post screenshots).

Be sure to correct me if I've made any mistakes in this thread. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this method, but it seems to work fairly well.

Thanks for reading!

Gunnishone

Platinum
Reaction score
Or add the server on your server list and hover over the bars...
As jonnysurvives already pointed out, the reading given when hovering over the bars is fairly inaccurate. This method is just as easy and it gives you a more accurate result.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Or add the server on your server list and hover over the bars...
That's an extremely inaccurate measurement of your actual ping to the server...at least most of the time. Minecraft seems to have this brilliant idea that it will try pinging every server in your server list at the same time, as well as prioritizing the top ones over the bottom ones. If the server isn't the only one in your whole list, the numbers are usually off, because they are based on how long it took while pinging other things or with lower priority than is realistic while actually connected.
And even still...Minecraft is just Minecraft. Though the ping measurements are better than they used to be, (1.3...omg that was so bad.) I wouldn't trust them. It's far more reliable to do it this way, and it's as simple as opening up your command prompt and typing a command. :/

As a note: It's also possible to ping the website and the hubs. I haven't actually tried this yet, but I'm pretty sure you can also ping the TS. (I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, unless you need the direct number IP for some odd reason.)

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
That's an extremely inaccurate measurement of your actual ping to the server...at least most of the time. Minecraft seems to have this brilliant idea that it will try pinging every server in your server list at the same time, as well as prioritizing the top ones over the bottom ones. If the server isn't the only one in your whole list, the numbers are usually off, because they are based on how long it took while pinging other things or with lower priority than is realistic while actually connected.
And even still...Minecraft is just Minecraft. Though the ping measurements are better than they used to be, (1.3...omg that was so bad.) I wouldn't trust them. It's far more reliable to do it this way, and it's as simple as opening up your command prompt and typing a command. :/

As a note: It's also possible to ping the website and the hubs. I haven't actually tried this yet, but I'm pretty sure you can also ping the TS. (I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, unless you need the direct number IP for some odd reason.)
Although pinging the TS is possible, a much more efficient way to do so is to glance down at the bottom right of your teamspeak window.
There, you will see an actively updated ping.
http://puu.sh/5JL9B.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci