• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Buckets!

Buckets good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't think he means to place lava and water, just to remove it (that's what it should be) because there are some traps you might be able to get out of if you have a bucket to grab some lava/water.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I don't think he means to place lava and water, just to remove it (that's what it should be) because there are some traps you might be able to get out of if you have a bucket to grab some lava/water.
Yeah, but if there is that option, it will be abused. Remember, water is infinite. Someone could literally fill anything the wanted with water. Not only that, people would be able to make cobblestone in places where cobblestone usually can't be. Grievers and trollers would definitely abuse this so buckets should only be used for milk, that's what I think

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
If you can't place the lava or water it will be perfectly fine to have them. You might also use lava to cook some food, it's really good.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If you can't place the lava or water it will be perfectly fine to have them. You might also use lava to cook some food, it's really good.
Once you use the bucket to pick it up, you can't get rid of it? That seems like a waste of three ingots to remove a lava block from a trap that might have more than one lava block.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Once you use the bucket to pick it up, you can't get rid of it? That seems like a waste of three ingots to remove a lava block from a trap that might have more than one lava block.
I JUST said that lava is used to cook things... It can cook 100 items before it runs out. Maybe water would be useless and only for troll purposes, but you could always keep the lava for a useful purpose. You just have to know what to do with your bucket.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to have the game let you pick up lava and water, but not place them. If someone's good with that stuff could they let me know?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Could you PLEASE read what I JUST said TWICE!!!!! Lava is really useful! Maybe water isn't, but you have to be smart enough not to pick that up!

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Could you PLEASE read what I JUST said TWICE!!!!! Lava is really useful! Maybe water isn't, but you have to be smart enough not to pick that up!
Listen HalfSquirrel, I understand that you can cook with lava. You are very active in the forums, so I don't want to get on your bad side. My last comment was not about the usefulness of buckets. I was seeing if anybody who was good with coding could let me know how hard it would be to implement picking up the clock, but not being able to place it into the plugin.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't think it would be very difficult (from my very basic knowledge of coding).

GhostWolf2

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm actually fully in favor of allowing buckets for water, milk, and lava - both picking up and placing. I've actually manage to craft a bucket in the first map, and pulled some lava from the open lava pit on the island. Unfortunately, the lava vanishes immediately when placed (I've only had enough spare iron to do this once, so I'm not sure if you do get damage/burning if you place it directly on a player before it disappears).

It would add a very interesting twist to combat allowing a fleeing player to suddenly drop lava behind them, or do some area-denial strategy during a deathmatch. Since lava burning damage ignores armor, it would be a bit of a balancing factor in a fight. Plus, it is quite difficult to get enough iron generally for just the sword, so burning a bit on a bucket and then having to collect lava or water would add to the risk.

Other fun ideas for traps/uses include setting up a waterfall on a tall vineless building, then fleeing up it after sighting a player. When you get to the top, remove the water block, and escape. It would also make some large building descents safer. One thing I tend to do is trap people in the pink house on map 2, if they reach it before me. A lava block at the top of the ladder would be an interesting kill method (even though ladders do block lava progression, so it wouldn't fill the room). The slowdown/pushback of water bucket uses could also be used for escape or essentially a combat movement debuff by obstructing paths.

But, even though there are many fun new strategies the buckets would add, there are some serious issues for the server. (1) Large areas of burnable material (wool, wood planks, etc) that might uncover areas not designed to be explored. (2) If the ghosting/server reset issue is resolved with a map that just changes teleport locations back to lobby and doesn't do a full reset, burned areas would be still burned, potentially causing issues. (3) Large scale fire lags servers quite badly. The forests in map 1 are sufficiently sparse to limit spread of fire, but in map 2, the large forest to the south, and the forest near the gas station to the northwest would carry fire completely across them, and thus the burning would be a massive griefing tool (I believe this is also an issue with getting flint/steel to be used in the game). It would still take some effort to gather the materials to do the griefing, but there are bound to be a few griefers dedicated enough to try it. (4) The infinite water generation trick. This would be a bit trickier to manage without being able to dig a 3x1 water generator, though I guess you could find natural pits to do it in. I don't think this would create terribly much lag (I've covered parts of maps on my own servers with water in this way, and not much difference in performance was observed), and the water does have a limited horizontal spread, so it would take some dedication to make any large scale map changes with infinite water.

The milk use for food would be interesting, and I am frequently getting sick from raw chicken (I generally give it all to any partner I end up with just to save the hassle of losing hunger).

[Edit] I completely forgot about the cooking use and addressing that. I'm not sure how useful it would be for lava cooking, as you lose the bucket, and I've never had more than like 10 items of raw food at any given time (and when I get enough loot to have that much, I generally end up with like 30-40 sticks or saplings anyway, so it seems like a bit of a waste to cook like 3-4 pieces of food and lose 3 iron. You are free to do as you like, and you actually can cook with lava buckets at the moment anyway (since it doesn't involve placing blocks), so have at it. [/Edit]

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents. Definitely something for the devs to consider in the future, but with the griefing potential, it might make their jobs harder than they need to be.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I just think the potential griefing uses outway the benefits Ghost Wolf

nobody1313

Tribute
Reaction score
I think that I kinda agree with both of you. I think you should be able to pick up and place water, but only pick up lava. The lava placing would be too unfair, and you could burn things that weren't supposed to be burned. With water, it's not really that bad.

Ninja'd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci