• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Best mod to have installed while playing MCSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucidictive

Diamond
Reaction score
But unlike Nodus Optifine gives you an 'advantage' which actually allows you to play the game. Some people with terrible computers can't play at all, hence needing optifine.

Also, how is optifine an advantage for people with computers that can run minecraft? Optifine is just generally for worse computers to increase FPS.
I wasn't talking about the lag-free advantage. I was focusing on the 'Zoom'. That's a definite advantage.

WitheredGold

Platinum
Reaction score
There's that word. Advantage. I've pondered about this quite a bit. They say that you should download Optifine because it gives you an advantage. The irony in this, is that mods like BSM and clients we deem as 'hack clients' (such as Nodus) give us an advantage. An advantage, that not every player has access to because either
1). They don't understand the installation process
2). They don't want it, they want to play legit.
Here's the problem. Lets say your in a game, you're trying to shoot someone at corn on SG4 from the top of the apartments/large building with lava trap in it. With OptiFine, you will have a much clearer shot on the enemy. Without this mod, you are put at quite the disadvantage. The same goes with ForceField. If you use it, your going to kill a lot of people, if you don't your put at a disadvantage. It's a simple comparison. They both give you advantages that weren't in the actual vanilla game.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
I do see where you're getting at, however the difference of optifine to forcefield or BSM is massively different. This is because forcefield give you a Massive advantage during fights, able to hit multiple people, you're like god. However this is not the case with optfiine, optifine won't give you those powers to hit multiple people, this still does require some skill to actually beat someone in combat. Instead of having the computer do it for you, you still need to think of some strategies. This has the same affect being compared to BSM, because BSM creates such a significant advantage in combat, being able to sprint while hitting. Because you don't get these advantages with optifine you can't really compare it to BSM or forcefield, because it gives you such a greater advantage over other players.

Optifine also is there for people that aren't lucky enough to get a really good computer, so they cant actually play minecraft at a stable FPS as other people with better computers. This means that people that have bad computers are still able to play with a chance.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about the lag-free advantage. I was focusing on the 'Zoom'. That's a definite advantage.
Seeing impaired people might want to play too. :c

But on a serious note the zoom isn't a game breaking advantage. If optifine didn't help computers and only had zoom my guess would be that it'd be banned. I believe MCSG decided that optifine has more pros than cons and allowed it.

Moving on the zoom doesn't aid you in combat to a huge extent you'll almost never die unlike hacks such as force field, aimbot, sprint hacks etc.

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
Exactly as Darkrai said.
Optifine is needed by too many people, myself included, to even play Minecraft. without it I run at about 15FPS, other players are worse than that. Yes, the zoom as well as other aspects of it do give a slight advantage, but less than that of BSM (lists of advantages have been given in other threads). And not allowing players to use it would not work, probably around 50% of players would use it.

Lucidictive

Diamond
Reaction score
I do see where you're getting at, however the difference of optifine to forcefield or BSM is massively different. This is because forcefield give you a Massive advantage during fights, able to hit multiple people, you're like god. However this is not the case with optfiine, optifine won't give you those powers to hit multiple people, this still does require some skill to actually beat someone in combat. Instead of having the computer do it for you, you still need to think of some strategies. This has the same affect being compared to BSM, because BSM creates such a significant advantage in combat, being able to sprint while hitting. Because you don't get these advantages with optifine you can't really compare it to BSM or forcefield, because it gives you such a greater advantage over other players.

Optifine also is there for people that aren't lucky enough to get a really good computer, so they cant actually play minecraft at a stable FPS as other people with better computers. This means that people that have bad computers are still able to play with a chance.
You say that the advantage is massively different. So? It shouldn't matter how big the advantage. FullBright and ForceField. You can definitely argue that ForceField has a massive advantage over FullBright, does this mean that you should just let people use FullBright?

Exactly as Darkrai said.
Optifine is needed by too many people, myself included, to even play Minecraft. without it I run at about 15FPS, other players are worse than that. Yes, the zoom as well as other aspects of it do give a slight advantage, but less than that of BSM (lists of advantages have been given in other threads). And not allowing players to use it would not work, probably around 50% of players would use it.
Oh and I realize, I would not like OptiFine to be illegal on this server, I use it and wouldn't ever stop (addiction to pressing control ever 3 secs). I'm just trying to see the logic behind allowing it.

Pokeking15

Spectator
Reaction score
well away from all of this um Damage Indicators is a good mod since it let's you see a player's health and tells you if you should to run the hell away or if your opponent is low enough that you can fight him/her!!

Tyco

Career
Reaction score
well away from all of this um Damage Indicators is a good mod since it let's you see a player's health and tells you if you should to run the hell away or if your opponent is low enough that you can fight him/her!!
That is an illegal mod, you will be banned if you are caught using it. Also, please do not necro (posting on a thread when it has been inactive for a month) threads. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci