• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

You can help bring a Minecraft Con to your city!

emichaels

Spectator
Reaction score
My son is a minecraft nut and I think the community is great. There should not just be one huge global MineCon per year because many thousands of people can't attend. I am starting a smaller, regional Minecraft Con that will be in several towns. I have the money to get this done but need people who want to help plan and organize.

So if you want to bring a Minecraft Con to your city or are interested in helping, let me know. I am starting in Chicago but will expand to other cities quickly. Email me from my sig or PM me.

Thanks

TomahawkGoesChop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
so you have money for this? So basically u have a few hundreds of thousands dollars for this? And ur convention will deffinately get approved by mojang

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
(i think he has the utube moneys! and/or hes work at microsoft who bought mojang so he has connection!))))

Edit;:: Ares you billv gates!?

emichaels

Spectator
Reaction score
I have money but nothing to do with Mojang or Microsoft. I'll leave the huge global Con to them. It does not take hundreds of thousands to do a smaller Con for a few thousand local people in a city. Takes only about $50K. No problem.
Mojang or Microsoft don't need to approve groups of fans getting together to talk about Minecraft, play games and have fun.

TomahawkGoesChop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I have money but nothing to do with Mojang or Microsoft. I'll leave the huge global Con to them. It does not take hundreds of thousands to do a smaller Con for a few thousand local people in a city. Takes only about $50K. No problem.
Mojang or Microsoft don't need to approve groups of fans getting together to talk about Minecraft, play games and have fun.
Im sorry, but "only 50k"?

emichaels

Spectator
Reaction score
Yes, that is top end. What do you think the costs are?? Specifically.
Have you ever held an event for 1000 people. I have.

Reaction score
Yes, that is top end. What do you think the costs are?? Specifically.
Have you ever held an event for 1000 people. I have.
Sir, it's not that simple. You have to find a place, you have to rent a website, and if it's not approved by Mojang/Microsoft probably no one is going to trust this.
I guess I am the only one here who has manners to adults. K, no big deal.

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
You seem to be serious about this, and it's a great idea in concept, but if you had done research into these kind of third party hosted Minecraft conventions, you'd know that they've been known to be fraudulent, extorting schemes more than fun, community hosted events. This has given a bad rap for events such as these, and might put a damper on things if you decide to go through with it.

Another issue is endorsement and permission from Microsoft. Mojang used to be pretty lenient with this as they encouraged the community to do as many exciting, fun things, but now Mojang is merely a subsidiary of Microsoft- and we all know Microsoft is a pretty money hungry organisation. It will be both a pain in the behind to get in contact with the needed Microsoft personalities to get approval and also a pain to get approval at all.

You'll also need websites, publicity and *if you intend to permit entry via sales of tickets* a way of selling tickets online (if tickets aren't being sold at the door). Seeing as money is no problem for you, this stuff shouldn't be so hard- you'd just need to pay for a website domain and get someone experienced in web design to do your website.

TL;DR this is a great idea, but previous events and Microsoft's takeover of Mojang make hosting the event pretty hard.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Community event organizers exist, and it's actually a professional position to have. Setting up big conventions that will host thousands of people requires someone dedicated to oversee everything. I don't have any reason to doubt that emichaels ('s father? The relationship connection to the account owner is assumed) is a legitimate Event Organizer, but at the same time I don't have a reason to believe him either.

It should be said that Minecraft community has been rocked by a number of scam Minecraft conventions, the worst of which being Mine-o-Rama. While the official MineCon will always be awesome based on its legitimacy, people are beginning to be wary of fan-lead conventions, especially those of a larger scale. I don't want to disrespect you, emichaels ('s father?), but having someone come out of the blue, offering to make smaller Minecraft conventions despite having to piggy-back on his son's account and lacking any credible evidence behind their abilities? That strikes me as a little more than suspicious.

...It does not take hundreds of thousands to do a smaller Con for a few thousand local people in a city. Takes only about $50K. No problem.
For player reference, both of these things are true.

$50,000 won't be rending out any convention halls for multi-day events like MineCon, but it will host a ballroom, pay for speakers (probably some lower-rent ones. Speaker prices are notoriously overvalued), and offer space for vendors. It won't get you far, but it'll get you something.
Mojang and Microsoft can't really stop a convention from occurring, since it's all fan-lead. However, attempting to claim that your event is part of MineCon, Mojang's/Microsoft's official convention series that has legal trademarks and copywrite, is something they can put a stop to. You can't be MineCon, but you can be a Minecraft fan convention with another name. I highly doubt they will allow you to lease the MineCon property.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I truly appreciate this motive and the fact that you're thinking of other people but I feel that it will be very hard to accumulate a solid amount of people willing to trust this, unless you can get it approved by Mojang. Best of luck to you however!

Also, to reply to someone directly, use the 'reply' button which is in the bottom right corner of their posts.

emichaels

Spectator
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses. First of all, there is no piggy backing my sons account. He has no account here. This is mine. Eric Michaels is my name.
I understand the distrust based on the 1 problem that was MineORama. That was one event and it was really trying to be a replacement for MineCon 2014, which is a very large, global, slickly produced event.
That is not what I am trying to do. I am going to do small, regional events which means they draw from the local area. I expect 1-3000 people over 2 days. This isn't the type of thing people will fly in from around the world like MineCon. The cost per person will be well under $100 for both days. If anything, this is the anti-MineCon. It is precisely for people who WOULDN'T fly somewhere for a weekend convention ....but they still like and would like to attend if it were near them. That is why I plan to do lots of small, local ones. Not one big one. Entirely different vibe and market than you guys are thinking.
Couple clarifications. Microsoft does not own Mojang yet. The deal is not closed. And you guys are all so petrified about what MS might do, it is hilarious. That said, no "Approval" is needed from either of them to hold a Fan Convention for people who like Minecraft. These small gaming conventions are held all the time. Again, I am not trying or claiming to be an "Official", big deal for the big wigs of the Minecraft world. Mojang or MS couldn't care less about a get together of fans like I am planning. If they even knew about it, they would love it because it promotes their game. There is a big difference between a "licensed" event and a non licensed event. Probably 2/3 of my visitors will be 12 year old kids. They don't care about whether Mojang endorses it or not, they just want to hang out with other kids who love MC and talk about it and to play a bit and maybe meet Graser or Sky or someone. None of them have probably even heard of MineORama. If people distrust, that is fine. It isn't like I am asking for anything from you. Not trying to sell you anything here. My customers don't have to trust on the level of MineCon because they are spending thousands on airfare, hotel and tickets. They are spending $50 to drive there for the afternoon. Even if they do distrust, all I have to do is put one event on, then people will see and then I can proceed to duplicate that in other cities. People can come to the one closest to them.

And the way you guys talk about the big deal of getting a domain name and "buying a website" makes you guys sound like technology noobs. Woooo 10 minutes on Go Daddy and it is done. Websites are easy and cheap. Hotel conference spaces are not always cheap but not a problem to arrange. Online ticket sales are easy too. Done it before many times. There is planning to be done, but it isn't that big of a deal. I have owned lots of businesses more complicated than this one. How many successful businesses have you guys started?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci