• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Where's Asia?

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It is approximately 10 inch wide. The circumference is 21 inch

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Asia severs are very similar to Canada servers, with a similarly sized playerbase and number of dedicated users. However, the major difference between them is price. While Canada servers are roughly equal in price to US (and thus affordable), AS servers cost (I believe) roughly 12 times more than US servers. For this to be economically feasible, AS servers would have to have at least a 10 time larger playerbase than Canada.

While Chad would love to provide AS servers if at all possible, it really isn't. They simply don't have the interest to warrant the costs that would be required to keep them running.

I have heard that he is considering bring them back though, so who knows, maybe costs went down? Anyways, good luck on getting those servers!

Tartanian

Experienced
Reaction score
Cause CA servers cost less then AS servers....
Please stop arguing as someone said in other thread it would be embarrassing for MCGamer to stop it again,
Also we don't need AS because AS is in the middle so it has EU And AU in the region, Also they stopped it because there were less donations coming in and no one was playing.
I request people stop making threads like this,
-Nirmit
As was shutdown by accident actually...

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
As was shutdown by accident actually...
Only once for 2 minutes, when Devin accidentally reset the wrong proxy server.
The decision to shut down all of AS? That was far from an accident. Chad pondered that decision for three whole months before giving the order.

The continued re-emergence of these threads show the growing number of players from AS, South America, and Africa. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the economic reality of those regions' impracticality.
I don't want to repeat myself, so I'll just post a link to the last time I had to said no to this idea: LINK.

Let me take A look in this, the pros of this are: An increase of income, more players and a larger community which is global.
Cons: A bit more money to host the server and thats all :)
If CA is still around why isnt AS still around?
On paper, that pro-con table sounds good: more pros than cons, so it must be good!
The reality we faced when running the AS servers a year ago was quite different. AS players weren't buying into the server as much as it cost to fund them month to month, and the playerbase seemed to stagnate at a point before withdrawing altogether. The AS population base just wasn't large enough to support a dedicated region. Furthermore, "a bit more money to host a server" is an understatement. Not only is there a substantial initial investment needed for installation, AS servers are relatively expensive to host month to month. Top that off with the developers we'd need to pay to do the installation, and the first three months (i.e. the minimum amount of time we'd give a region to be economically self-sustaining) would cost a few thousand dollars; even for a community as large as us, that's a good chunk of change. And with how expensive AS servers were month to month along with how small the community base was, it just wasn't financially viable for us to do.

Regarding CA and AS, CA servers are super cheap compared to AS as people have stated. To give a rough estimate, we can run the entire CA region for nearly the same price as a single AS server.

Well, let me see. The donations were very low due to the decrease of players playing on MCSG as a whole. Now that there the AVN is merging with MCSG im sure there will be atleast 70 players on.
Actually, while AS was suffering from a player decline, the rest of the world was continuing to pick up MCSG. Even with AS's downturn, MCG's total numbers were always climbing.

That being said, we have no idea if the AVN and return of MCSG would make the AS region any more financially viable. 70 players might seem like a lot, but we'll drop AS again if those 70 players can't sustain their own region financially.

I thought MCSG's goal is to satisfy all players, no matter where they live. Doesn't matter if it cost hundreds of dollars because if they were to fulfill their goal money would not be a large issue.
Our goal is definitely to satisfy players and give them games to play, but MCGamer is not a charity (which, fun fact, is why we can't use the term Donor for those who purchase Premium Ranks). While we would love to give everything away for free forever and make everyone's wishes come true, the law of scarcity prevents anyone from doing that; if we were to try and do that, MCGamer would go bankrupt in a matter of hours, and then no one will be happy (except our competitors and people with economic sense). We can't pay our server bills with happy thoughts, and our server bills are a power or two higher than "hundreds of dollars".

The Aussie servers are some of the worst I know of, it's not MCSG's fault, it's just Australia has such crud internet.
This. AU gets the excuse that they're an island, but so is the UK, and even their decently-good internet is above Australia's. How you guys live with broadband datacaps is beyond me...

Reaction score
This. AU gets the excuse that they're an island, but so is the UK, and even their decently-good internet is above Australia's. How you guys live with broadband datacaps is beyond me...
The thing with au is that it is a really recent country as soon as it became one WW1 started then Ww2 started so because of that 12 years Aus has only been a country for 99 years in those 99 years AUS still doesn't have nuclear power or decent internet but it is developing NBN still isn't everywhere.
Because australia is young other countries like US that have decently good internet have been a country for 400 years? But US has had time to develop the other stuff but trust me India has the worst internet

MattZeeX

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The thing with au is that it is a really recent country as soon as it became one WW1 started then Ww2 started so because of that 12 years Aus has only been a country for 99 years in those 99 years AUS still doesn't have nuclear power or decent internet but it is developing NBN still isn't everywhere.
Because australia is young other countries like US that have decently good internet have been a country for 400 years? But US has had time to develop the other stuff but trust me India has the worst internet
Australia was formed in 1901, so they've been around for 114 years, however, if we go with your 12 years lost idea, they've been around for 102 years, not 99. However, this is irrelevant. The internet has only really been public available for the last 20 to 30 years, and in the last 20 to 30 years, Australia has not been involved in full scale wars so really I don't see how that would hinder their growth of internet.

Now, I have no idea how the internet and computing works, but I think that the reason the internet in Australia is so bad is that it is an island, but unlike the UK, they are very far away from others. I don't know how come the internet in Australia isn't nearly as good as anyone else in a first world country, but it cannot be related that they are a "new" country. Besides, Singapore was created in 1965 and our internet is in the top 3. Eh, I wish Australia would have good internet so I wouldn't get banned for League.

Reaction score
Australia was formed in 1901, so they've been around for 114 years, however, if we go with your 12 years lost idea, they've been around for 102 years, not 99. However, this is irrelevant. The internet has only really been public available for the last 20 to 30 years, and in the last 20 to 30 years, Australia has not been involved in full scale wars so really I don't see how that would hinder their growth of internet.

Now, I have no idea how the internet and computing works, but I think that the reason the internet in Australia is so bad is that it is an island, but unlike the UK, they are very far away from others. I don't know how come the internet in Australia isn't nearly as good as anyone else in a first world country, but it cannot be related that they are a "new" country. Besides, Singapore was created in 1965 and our internet is in the top 3. Eh, I wish Australia would have good internet so I wouldn't get banned for League.
But Singapore is also a island right? Yeah australia is a isolated country while Singapore is in the middle

nmets55

Survivor
Reaction score
Only once for 2 minutes, when Devin accidentally reset the wrong proxy server.
The decision to shut down all of AS? That was far from an accident. Chad pondered that decision for three whole months before giving the order.

The continued re-emergence of these threads show the growing number of players from AS, South America, and Africa. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the economic reality of those regions' impracticality.
I don't want to repeat myself, so I'll just post a link to the last time I had to said no to this idea: LINK.

On paper, that pro-con table sounds good: more pros than cons, so it must be good!
The reality we faced when running the AS servers a year ago was quite different. AS players weren't buying into the server as much as it cost to fund them month to month, and the playerbase seemed to stagnate at a point before withdrawing altogether. The AS population base just wasn't large enough to support a dedicated region. Furthermore, "a bit more money to host a server" is an understatement. Not only is there a substantial initial investment needed for installation, AS servers are relatively expensive to host month to month. Top that off with the developers we'd need to pay to do the installation, and the first three months (i.e. the minimum amount of time we'd give a region to be economically self-sustaining) would cost a few thousand dollars; even for a community as large as us, that's a good chunk of change. And with how expensive AS servers were month to month along with how small the community base was, it just wasn't financially viable for us to do.

Regarding CA and AS, CA servers are super cheap compared to AS as people have stated. To give a rough estimate, we can run the entire CA region for nearly the same price as a single AS server.

Actually, while AS was suffering from a player decline, the rest of the world was continuing to pick up MCSG. Even with AS's downturn, MCG's total numbers were always climbing.

That being said, we have no idea if the AVN and return of MCSG would make the AS region any more financially viable. 70 players might seem like a lot, but we'll drop AS again if those 70 players can't sustain their own region financially.

Our goal is definitely to satisfy players and give them games to play, but MCGamer is not a charity (which, fun fact, is why we can't use the term Donor for those who purchase Premium Ranks). While we would love to give everything away for free forever and make everyone's wishes come true, the law of scarcity prevents anyone from doing that; if we were to try and do that, MCGamer would go bankrupt in a matter of hours, and then no one will be happy (except our competitors and people with economic sense). We can't pay our server bills with happy thoughts, and our server bills are a power or two higher than "hundreds of dollars".

As you said the MC Gamer community has had a drastic increase of players and donations coming in from places like the US and Europe. I'm pretty sure looking at the financial perspective of this very scenario MC Gamer has enough money to start hosting the AS Servers. I also feel that with a fresh server (v2) people would like to see some enhancements such as the one I suggested, bringing back the AS servers.

Kind regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci