• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The God Debate v2

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 58 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warriorss

Career
Reaction score
There is absolute no reason to post this. WE already know that a lot of people are going to have mixed thoughts. Honestly if a mod would be smart about this they would lock it.

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score
There is absolute no reason to post this. WE already know that a lot of people are going to have mixed thoughts. Honestly if a mod would be smart about this they would lock it.
A mod already said this thread isn't going to be locked. We are allowed to debate in a non flame manner. Mods are monitoring this thread highly and delete flame comments. We are doing fine debating.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Okay. I had made a reply to a thread similar to this one a few months ago, but I couldn't find it... So, lets start explaining again c:

You know, the concept of God, is just beyond me. I can't understand what being a God means, or just some concepts of religion. For example, excuse me if I sound ignorant because of not knowing the terminology, but I know that in Catholic religion you eat this so called Eucharistic, an allegoric for Christs' body, accompanied by wine signifying his blood. What I understand is that Catholic and Cristian believers become god himself after eating the said food from the Last Supper, and have responsibilities — I am unknown to those.
So, basically, all that is saying that we're god, however I don't understand why would our godliness have to come off eating something everyone can also eat; even others who practice other religions, through deceive they could eat any of these and become a 'God' himself, which is why it is so redundant.

Life is really filled with ignorance, and I would feel as if the ignorance each as a person has is the reason for no self-improvement and recreation to nurture ourselves as a person.
I think that as humans we can't be selfish nor selfless, and to devote ourselves for no reason but for "It is tradition", "You are a sinner if you don't..." is inhumane, miserable, despondent.
Regardless, without bashing any religion, which is not the case, for any who thought the wrong connotation I will explain what I do believe in.

I believe in humanity. I am not atheist, it would be narcissistic that there isn't someone better than us, however I wouldn't think they aren't Gods either. I believe that we as humans can all be gods, through eloquence and the power of mind control we can become so mischievous and deceptive that anyone can become a God with those characteristics—and if not a god, someone who can control a Monarchy(one-manned Kingdom), like Hitler.
Yes, I believe in us as humans and I believe that who wins in the game of thrones is truly God.
I also believe in faith. I think faith is the least human thing we can have, to have something as a policy that if we fail as a human we will always be loved and understood and that we will have a place in whatever happens after life. Myself sometimes asks to God when in problem, because I think believing in anything, whether inanimate or not gives us faith, and faith makes us continue. However, this is pure deception for the welfare of one; sometimes accepting reality isn't easy.
But, as I believe in faith, I believe that if the human mind created Religions, and emotions, I believe that for someone who is truly down-to-earth and will accept destiny regardless is God. For someone to acknowledge his emotions and believe in them, to believe in equanimity, happiness, sadness, and all the emotions we created is truly God; to have the ability to have complete control of oneself.

Since forever we are told that we start at the same start of the road, however some have more opportunities than other, some walk faster than others, although we can all be gods, because us humans created our gods, our folklore, our story and discovered science. To be capable of being able to do that much, to be capable of becoming gods, we can too.

Whatever your concept of God is, we all want to be under the arms of someone and to believe in something for the security of us and to not go through insanity that we are but lonely in this universe. We like to believe because we want to know that there is anything beyond us.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay. I had made a reply to a thread similar to this one a few months ago, but I couldn't find it... So, lets start explaining again c:

You know, the concept of God, is just beyond me. I can't understand what being a God means, or just some concepts of religion. For example, excuse me if I sound ignorant because of not knowing the terminology, but I know that in Catholic religion you eat this so called Eucharistic, an allegoric for Christs' body, accompanied by wine signifying his blood. What I understand is that Catholic and Cristian believers become god himself after eating the said food from the Last Supper, and have responsibilities — I am unknown to those.
So, basically, all that is saying that we're god, however I don't understand why would our godliness have to come off eating something everyone can also eat; even others who practice other religions, through deceive they could eat any of these and become a 'God' himself, which is why it is so redundant.

Life is really filled with ignorance, and I would feel as if the ignorance each as a person has is the reason for no self-improvement and recreation to nurture ourselves as a person.
I think that as humans we can't be selfish nor selfless, and to devote ourselves for no reason but for "It is tradition", "You are a sinner if you don't..." is inhumane, miserable, despondent.
Regardless, without bashing any religion, which is not the case, for any who thought the wrong connotation I will explain what I do believe in.

I believe in humanity. I am not atheist, it would be narcissistic that there isn't someone better than us, however I wouldn't think they aren't Gods either. I believe that we as humans can all be gods, through eloquence and the power of mind control we can become so mischievous and deceptive that anyone can become a God with those characteristics—and if not a god, someone who can control a Monarchy(one-manned Kingdom), like Hitler.
Yes, I believe in us as humans and I believe that who wins in the game of thrones is truly God.
I also believe in faith. I think faith is the least human thing we can have, to have something as a policy that if we fail as a human we will always be loved and understood and that we will have a place in whatever happens after life. Myself sometimes asks to God when in problem, because I think believing in anything, whether inanimate or not gives us faith, and faith makes us continue. However, this is pure deception for the welfare of one; sometimes accepting reality isn't easy.
But, as I believe in faith, I believe that if the human mind created Religions, and emotions, I believe that for someone who is truly down-to-earth and will accept destiny regardless is God. For someone to acknowledge his emotions and believe in them, to believe in equanimity, happiness, sadness, and all the emotions we created is truly God; to have the ability to have complete control of oneself.

Since forever we are told that we start at the same start of the road, however some have more opportunities than other, some walk faster than others, although we can all be gods, because us humans created our gods, our folklore, our story and discovered science. To be capable of being able to do that much, to be capable of becoming gods, we can too.

Whatever your concept of God is, we all want to be under the arms of someone and to believe in something for the security of us and to not go through insanity that we are but lonely in this universe. We like to believe because we want to know that there is anything beyond us.
That was amazing.

Tbh rn on a 10 point scale 10 being you know there's no god vs 1 you know there is I'm an 8.5. However as soon as we find life on other planets (perhaps in the oceans of Europa or the hundred fifty or so planets about the size of earth in the right zone for water) I will jump easily to a 9.9 and with every passing day this seems to be becoming more and more likely.

Within a decade I will know when TESS and JWST are launched to study the atmospheres of exoplanets.

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
You obviously don't know anything about the big bang or evolution. They are not faith based so I have no idea where you came up with that nonsense comment. Faith requires and has no evidence. The big bang and evolution has a very large amount of evidence and it a fact.
Also do you believe in the absurd idea that the earth is 6,000 years old even though every single scientist prove that it is 4.5 billion years old. Do you believe in dinosaurs? Are you saying God has more evidence for evolution? What do you have to say about all the evidence for evolution? What real evidence do you have for God? Apparently having no evidence is the same as have an overwhelming amount of evidence. Do you even care to look at any evidence or do you blindly believe in the bible and God?

God giving us free will has nothing to do with cancer and many diseases. We can have free will without those things. All you religious people say is "free will" and have no other rational answer to why God would create so many unnecessary bad thing in this world. God is clearly crazy if he is going to create pain and suffering because someone ate from a tree. Please give me a real reason why God would do such a thing.

If we all have free will then how does God have a plan for us? If either has planned everything out for us then how do we have free will? Either he doesn't control everything or he doesn't have free will. Tell me, why is there a need for sin?

You said that "in the face of a deadly disease outbreak, perhaps it leads to a cure being developed. Why would God create the disease and have people die so we can try to figure out a cure. Why not just not create the disease in the first place? God is torturing all of humanity for eternity because of one person who ate from an apple tree? What sense is that. our suffering a game to him so he could be entertained?

If God has planned out everything then prayer doesn't work. God isn't going to change his plan so why would he answer your prayer. Prayer isn't comforting since there is no proof it works. Its like talking to yourself. People say "God doesn't always answer prayers because he has a plan". We would someone pray if he isn't going to answer you because he has a plan. Its going to happen anyway because its part of his plan. So why pray?

If not everything in the bible is suppose to be taken literally how do we know anything is true? How do we know what is suppose to be take literally? Was Jesus really God and born from the virgin Mary or is that not real? How do you know Jesus was really God. What if there is no God and the whole Christian religion is not suppose to be take literally and is taught just for the morals.

If I can't take things from the old testament, here is something from the new testament.

The New Testament says that homosexuality is a “shameful lust” (Romans 1:26), a “shameful act,” an abandonment of “natural relations” (Romans 1:27), a “wrongdoing” (1 Corinthians 6:9), and “sexual immorality and perversion” (Jude 1:7). Homosexuality carries a “due penalty” (Romans 1:27), “is contrary to the sound doctrine” (1 Timothy 1:10), and is listed among the sins that bar people from the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9).

Do you think homosexuality is bad? It says so in the new testament.

In the new testament Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. What do you have to say to that? hmm? Of corse you guys always love to ignore all the bad stuff in the bible. Jesus approved of it!

1/3 Americans believe the bible is literally true. Where in the world are you getting your information from? Where did you get the information that the old testament is no longer followed? What!?!

Wow. You say God loved everyone? I bet he loves all the children with cancer that did nothing to deserve it. Also, all the kids born with deformities, remember God loves you. No sin is worse than another and all our sins will be forgiven if we repent? In that case why should anyone be good at all? We can be the worse person ever and we could repent on your death bed. God seems to care more about you worshiping him than you being a good person.

Killing a man is the same as stealing. What kind of morality is that? God doesn't care what you do, as long as you worship him. Would a good Atheist go to hell or heaven. If we are going to hell, that proves god cares more about us worshiping him than being good. If we are going to heaven, than what is the point if believing in God? We atheists have nothing to worry about.
I would love to see what you have to say about the above ^
Also free will doesn't make sense as an argument.
I recommend you watch this video. duckluv321
Honestly, both of you have good points, and very well thought out arguments that I quite honestly can't counter. I don't have proof I can point you to, all I have is my faith.

I didn't come here to start a fight or even an argument. I highly respect both of you, and I respect your opinions, too. I wrote my message just to share what I was thinking and I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to debate this.

I've read through both of your messages, and all I can really say is that I have faith. That's it. There's nothing else I can tell you in response, because I don't even know where to start. This is a discussion I've never involved myself in, and this is exactly why. It's impossible to defend something based entirely on my belief and the limited factual knowledge I have. I hope neither of you think any less of me because of this, because I never meant to insult any of you, and tried to make the original post as passive as possible.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Honestly, both of you have good points, and very well thought out arguments that I quite honestly can't counter. I don't have proof I can point you to, all I have is my faith.

I didn't come here to start a fight or even an argument. I highly respect both of you, and I respect your opinions, too. I wrote my message just to share what I was thinking and I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to debate this.

I've read through both of your messages, and all I can really say is that I have faith. That's it. There's nothing else I can tell you in response, because I don't even know where to start. This is a discussion I've never involved myself in, and this is exactly why. It's impossible to defend something based entirely on my belief and the limited factual knowledge I have. I hope neither of you think any less of me because of this, because I never meant to insult any of you, and tried to make the original post as passive as possible.
Okay this is going to probably come out the wrong way but

Instead of hiding behind a wall of faith why not just admit that you were wrong?

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score
When it comes to religion I've been there and back. Those who see my username in game will believe that "ServerOfTheAltar" refers to the Catholic Altar Servers that assist with a mass that is in procession. When you get to know me though, you find out how much I hate extremism. I believe that all religions, atheism is included are extremist beliefs.

When I was a kid I was never taught anything about religion, no religion was expressed to me by my parents, and the only religious person in my life was my Aunt Teresa. I enjoyed her as a person, and her family was very kind, but she was an Orthodox Christian, and it honestly annoyed me. If there is a God, he doesn't want you to worship him, he doesn't want you to bring him up every other sentence, he gave you life to live it. I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees, worshiping someone isn't natural. It's hard to imagine what life would be without yourself in it. You literally are the center of the universe. Everything you see, hear, smell, touch is a part of the observable universe, your observable universe. Everyone you meet and every animal you see is in their own universe, it is how we experience life. Just like how it's difficult to imagine the end of the universe now is the same as imagining your own personal universe ending when you die. It's impossible to imagine death because it is the end of everything you've ever known. The fact of the matter is that we can't know what death is, even those who have died for a brief period still had a tiny bit of life left in them. It's the reason we seek religion, it only makes sense to you that when you die, your conscious lives on. You are your conscious, so everything you have experienced is life itself, you simply don't know what death is.

At the age of eight my father made me to go to a Catholic church once a week and learn what death is. Church itself, was a good experience. The priest would come up, read a quote from the bible, and then gave it meaning to our lives. Everyone would shake hands, greet each other with friendly faces, and then leave feeling much better about themselves. Religion is a good thing, no atheist can deny that the act of going to church and improving your moral and ethical values while being surrounded by friendly people is very healthy. My problem with it is the blind faith people put in, not their faith in God, but the faith in the people that try to represent him. The religious figures that will stand there reading specific quotes from the bible, telling you that homosexuality is a sin, or tell you that you'll burn in Hell without faith.

If you're a Christian, I really want you to take this to heart and forge your own beliefs and not follow those made for you. The bible itself was written by humans, it then played a giant game of ancient telephone until it was translated thirteen times into the book you know and love today. After that these religious figureheads take specific quotes from a book that looks nothing like the original, and tell you that what they are saying is absolute. Blind faith is referring to these people, the people that try to represent God in their own way, the way they see it from their universe.

I listened to these people, and at the time I would overthink what they said, I would be afraid to do anything that the bible disproves. This was the time when I converted myself to an atheist, death without meaning was far greater than an eternal life of worship. The nationalism that I grew up with in America raised me to see myself as an individual, not someone that worships someone I've never even met.

But after all of that time I learned to value knowledge and logic over faith and worship. It wasn't until the big debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham that I was able to see both sides of the coin. As an atheist I could read up on the theories of The Big Bang and Evolution, but as a Christian I could read up on Apparitions and OBEs.

It was then that I abandoned religion altogether. We're all expected to have a "religion". We're all expected to have our beliefs in death, but what is the point? If there is no feasible way for us to comprehend death then why should we spend our whole life thinking about it? All philosophy has its purpose, it helps us innovate technologies to help with cancer, and it helps us hypothesize great things like the multiverse or string theory. That is the purpose as a society, it is to continue, it is to grow, it is to learn. The purpose to life is as simple as the name itself. There is one purpose to life, given to us by a God or otherwise, and that purpose is to live. No matter how far we progress or how much we learn we will never fully comprehend what it is to die, so why think about it? I'll know what death is when I die, and you know what I'm going to do until then?

I'm going to live.

NovaKaine

Career
Reaction score
actually surprised this thread is going strong, seeing as one of the rules is to not mention controversial topics.

my opinion: science all the way bby

Warriorss

Career
Reaction score
Maybe if people would go to church they would understand more and might just believe! :)

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
[
Maybe if people would go to church they would understand more and might just believe! :)
This is the problem I have, believing something does not make it true. I don't need to go to church to understand the world.

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score

I respect your belief and what you have to say. My question to you is, why do you believe in religion or God if you clearly see there is no evidence or compelling argument in a debate like this. Why can't religious people admit they are wrong and not hold on to their belief.
You only believe in the Christian God because your parents told you to. If you were born in india you would believe in the hindu Gods. You only believe in what you do because of your parents. If you were told about evolution and science by your parents when you were young, you would most likely be an atheist. Why do you hold on to faith when a countless amount of things prove it wrong time and time again.
I respect you and I don't think any less of you, Im just curious on why you even think this is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci