• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Death of Minecraft Servers?

Mojang - Crazy or Smart?

• Crazy

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
R

roguehh

R

roguehh

Wow. Just wow.
Money hungry much?
The funny thing is that Mojang is saying the same thing about servers that charge money for perks.
[3/06/2014 11:39:53 PM] Erik Broes: anything that changes gamebalance in any way or temps by either peerpresure or simple greed to extract money from people is a huge no-no for me
[4:21:38 AM] Erik Broes: it's just nice food for thought, so you can already consider less lame ways to squeeze money from people :p

R

roguehh

IT DOESN'T CHANGE GAME-BALANCE.
I'm not defending them. Just quoting the guy. On the MCGamer servers it doesn't change the game balance. But he was speaking generally. And the reason for quoting him was the second part of the sentence where he said: "or temps by either peerpresure or simple greed to extract money from people"

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
First of all, Mojang is against servers that phrase purchases as 'donations'. When you donate something, you don't get anything in return. At MCGamer, you pay money, and you receive perks. That's why it's called a premium upgrade.

Second of all, Mojang is not getting rid of servers that allow you to purchase ranks. What they're cutting down on is servers which limit parts of the game, unless you have purchased a rank. I'm going to use two examples here.
  • If you purchase a rank on Server A, you get the ability to join full servers, and you get double the amount of points a regular player gets. Mojang is okay with that.
  • If you purchase a rank on Server B, you get access to unique premium member kits in-game, and special items in the server hub. Mojang is not okay with that.
The only premium-only feature that MCGamer offers is hub items, such as hats, armor and pets. That's easily solvable, regular members would just need to be given permission to buy them in-game with points.

People are blowing this situation way out of proportion. Calm down, take a look at what is actually happening, and use common sense before you begin raising your pitchforks.

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
First of all, Mojang is against servers that phrase purchases as 'donations'. When you donate something, you don't get anything in return. At MCGamer, you pay money, and you receive perks. That's why it's called a premium upgrade.

Second of all, Mojang is not getting rid of servers that allow you to purchase ranks. What they're cutting down on is servers which limit parts of the game, unless you have purchased a rank. I'm going to use two examples here.
  • If you purchase a rank on Server A, you get the ability to join full servers, and you get double the amount of points a regular player gets. Mojang is okay with that.
  • If you purchase a rank on Server B, you get access to unique premium member kits in-game, and special items in the server hub. Mojang is not okay with that.
The only premium-only feature that MCGamer offers is hub items, such as hats, armor and pets. That's easily solvable, regular members would just need to be given permission to buy them in-game with points.

People are blowing this situation way out of proportion. Calm down, take a look at what is actually happening, and use common sense before you begin raising your pitchforks.
I love you Diar.

R

roguehh

Mojang is not getting rid of servers that allow you to purchase ranks.
According to this Mojang Developer, they are.
[12:20:19 AM] Erik Broes: You can have ranks obviously, you just cannot buy them with hard cash :)
But he seems to contradict himself.
[6:16:45 AM] ileetgamerx: So we cannot sell items from Minecraft, but we can sell a rank that contains perks from our own plugins that we made? Example: Join full game servers for a game plugin I made but NOT selling a diamond sword?
[6:17:15 AM] Erik Broes: Leet: er on phone now so rather not. But I short anything that doesn't change gameplay would be fine from my perspective.
As far as I've read, he hasn't clarified this. So I'm not really sure what the policy will be.

JoshuaPlays

Diamond
Reaction score

Seems Notch disagrees?

edit: Link - https://twitter.com/notch/status/474869769301409792

Reactions: Toe

Nephilim

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Please. Watch. This. It explains the situation from both point of views, from both Mojang and the community in general. I know it may be a long video to watch, but please do since it clarifies the 'chaos' that is going on. You will understand why Mojang wants to change their EULA. I'm not on Mojang's side, I still want these servers to stay alive as well as everybody else.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Wow! - I wasn't getting alerts, I assumed the thread was dead, boy was I wrong!

This would indeed be a loophole, but then people will want a way to purchase coins etc ect. Regardless I think this should be a feature already even if the new EULA hasn't been released.

While others are saying "This wont happen! Mojang isn't that stupid" I think they're going to actually follow through with this. Personally, I think Mojang should rethink this, over HALF of the Minecraft community plays Multiplayer just imagine the amount of money generated.

How can we fix this? One way is there to be a tax of some sort, say 13% or something? For a server that generates money, monthly they must pay 13% of income or something, while this most likely would be a huge hassle for Mojang its one way of fixing it. Another way, which they may end up doing, is completely cut out anything that is non-donation as KRaidium said.

Look at it from both sides. Mojang has their reasons of doing this. They are doing this because people are complaining about scams and because servers are "squeezing money from people :p". We have our reasons, it isn't ruining gameplay or game balance, its just fair and purchasing perks rarely has a bad influence on anything.

Both sides have their pros and cons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci