• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Punishing for "like boosting"? - Community opinion

Do you agree on the current situation of people getting banned and likes removed for that?

• Total voters

6block

Gold
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls of the MCGamer!

So recently it has been coming to my attention that a lot of people have been punished for liking or achieving likes here on the forums. The MCGamer staff justifies it by calling it "like boosting". People have been banned and some forumers lost up to 3000 likes.
__
Such thing is nowhere to be found on the official rules thread. When I asked staff about it, they called it an "Unspoken rule made clear by Freshly". That's interesting, isn't it?
If you punish for something, the people must be made aware that they are breaking a rule first. How is a community member able to know that liking posts is against the rules? I personally didn't have a Freshly informing me about this "Unspoken rule". Did you guys?
To sum it up: Staff is punishing people for a "rule", noone is able to know about.
__
Then we got the question: Can you actually punish for liking one's post?? Isn't that the act of showing appreciation to someone? Isn't that the way to show you like the content someone posts? Isn't that the goal of many forumers to get a good like/post ratio to show that they are great forumers and people can follow them to receive their great content??
__
Yes some people try to "boost" themselves up by using alt accounts. I think I don't have to tell you that this is not the right thing to do and this actually is stated in the rules. I think we all here agree on that.

To stress my point, I want to give you a quote from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the UN:

Doesn't that mean I can show everyone my opinion of liking someone's content or showing that I agree on what he said?
Is MCGamer staff ignoring Human Rights? Yes some Mods and even some Sr. Mods are still young, but you cannot punish someone for the simple act of liking someone else's content.

MCGamer staff: Stop punishing people for being liked and posting good content. Stop punishing for liking posts of others and showing appreciation to others.
Would also be great to state your own opinion on this here, or to explain this "Unspoken rule" to the public.

Community: What is your opinion on this topic? (Feel free to discuss, but keep it appropriate please.)

Thank you for your attention! :) Let's hope we are able to discuss this and they won't ignore another human right, the freedom of speech, by deleting this.

The real problem is when people make, say, 3 accounts to like 1 account's posts. Because it's the same person on all 4 accounts, liking one accounts posts, wouldn't that be boosting? Good points though.

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
like spamming is good :^)

It's so easy to manipulate your forum stats. Most of my posts are from forum games, and most of my likes are from people liking my statuses. It shouldn't be punished though, people who complain about this are just butthurt.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
People are only banned for like boosting when the intentionally use alternate forum accounts of their own, or ask multiple people to go through on multiple accounts to boost their like count, which is not fair. Likes determine one's credibility amongst the forums, and intentionally and maliciously having people boost your likes, is the same as boosting wins in game, they're the same concept. If one person really like someone's content, sure they can give them a few likes but what is not acceptable is doing it over multiple accounts for personal benefit.

TheMangoTiger

Platinum
Reaction score
Like Boosting is when you get one or multiple people, or even yourself to like your posts. The reason why its punishable is because there is a leaderboard (sort of) on the forums where it shows players with the most likes and it gives pride to a lot of players knowing they may be one of the most popular players on the forums/server. When people like boost its taking positions of some/multiple people on that leaderboard bringing them down while in reality that person may not have too many likes
The Leaderboard: http://www.mcgamer.net/members/?type=likes
or
yeah but every single person on that leaderboard has been like spammed to get up there in the first place :3
People are only banned for like boosting when the intentionally use alternate forum accounts of their own, or ask multiple people to go through on multiple accounts to boost their like count, which is not fair.
how come I got a warning from a mod then when I was casually like spamming my friend a couple of weeks ago tho:(

J

District 13
Reaction score
*likes everyone's posts on this thread*

*gets banned*

In all seriousness, great thread, and I definitely do believe that forumers need a more 'clearer' explanation on the rules of like boosting.

Like boosting is generally aimed more towards community members, well at least the punishment of it is. I've seen multiple staff members getting like boosted once in a while, because, they're staff of course. I'd say to ban a person for like boosting, it's when they go on alternate accounts that they themselves own using to like their own posts (very sad)

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Wow, people are taking foruming a little too seriously? I thought this place was about just having a good time while discussing topics and meeting people. Let me just say, likes shouldn't be used as a way to measure someone's intelligence or credibility. From my experience, people who get a lot of likes on their posts are either lazy, blunt, sarcastic, or making some inside reference. They aren't usually the well thought out posts.

If it's just two friends doing it, who cares? I would say only ban them if you can prove that the person is using their own alternate accounts to do it, in which case that person has no class whatsoever and probably deserves it.

Renoilj

Career
Reaction score
People are only banned for like boosting when the intentionally use alternate forum accounts of their own, or ask multiple people to go through on multiple accounts to boost their like count, which is not fair. Likes determine one's credibility amongst the forums, and intentionally and maliciously having people boost your likes, is the same as boosting wins in game, they're the same concept. If one person really like someone's content, sure they can give them a few likes but what is not acceptable is doing it over multiple accounts for personal benefit.
I totally agree with what you said Ceroria, but you described how it should be, not how it is. I know about active and great forumers that did not boost their likes with alt accounts and still now have 50 instead of 3000+ likes. This is unacceptable. You cannot just delete likes! I'm sure even only myself liked more than 50 of her posts. This is just unfair and wrong! And this is what is currently happening on here. I tried to ask Sr. Staff for explanation but that got ignored. Why does staff behave like that towards the community, the people they are working for and should care about?
Tbh I really don't get it.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
how come I got a warning from a mod then when I was casually like spamming my friend a couple of weeks ago tho:(
How many likes did you give them?
I totally agree with what you said Ceroria, but you described how it should be, not how it is. I know about active and great forumers that did not boost their likes with alt accounts and still now have 50 instead of 3000+ likes. This is unacceptable. You cannot just delete likes! I'm sure even only myself liked more than 50 of her posts. This is just unfair and wrong! And this is what is currently happening on here. I tried to ask Sr. Staff for explanation but that got ignored. Why does staff behave like that towards the community, the people they are working for and should care about?
Tbh I really don't get it.
Who was it that was like spammed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci