• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer "Dying"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGBT

Survivor
Reaction score
MCGamer Dying

I have a feeling this post will be deleted as most staff on here don't like opposing opinions and will try invalidate my reasons for my opinions, and therefore will not allow for an open discussion to be made. I ask that staff members please read this thread thoroughly and understand this is my opinion.

Firstly I'd just like to state I mean no disrespect to Chad. I respect what you have tried to do this time around, and respect the bold decision to bring back MCGamer after 3 years and try rebuild the community that was lost.

Another thing I'd like to clear up is my use of the word "Dying". I am not saying the server is dead - (In my definition dead means: 0 players & no community) "dying" in my terms refers the player-count decreasing, the interest decreasing and the server nearing "death" or nearing being "dead".

It's my personal opinion that the server "MCGamer" is dying already.

I believe this is shown by numbers. Now obviously I don't have access to all the data and can therefore not review all the numbers for player counts, peak players at a current time ect. but personally from seeing the player count displayed on the Minecraft server list, It's fairly obvious the player count has seen a decline and that the playerbase is dying. A month or two ago, the server would surpass 100-150 players quite regularly, and I believe someone said the record for current players on at one time was around 250. Reviewing the player count now, it barley surpasses 50 players. This is quite concerning considering the server is basically open (I understand it's still in Alpha, however everyone can access this by registering). Chad is always telling people how impressive the 10,000+ member count on Discord is, yet this has proved to mean nothing as the server has never surpassed anything above 250+ players. This doesn't really make sense and to me shows the interest for this gamemode/server has passed already.

Reasons why I think it's dying:

1. Development is too slow.
I understand you just hired another dev (about time), however we have been in Alpha for months now. I understand things take time, however this has simply taken too long. Chad projected months ago for the server to be released by Halloween and this obviously hasn't been achieved. I know it's Alpha and that you want things to be 100% for release but some more haste would prove beneficial to the server. The slow development has lead to other things which will be mentioned below and have negatively impacted this community.

2. Too many bugs that aren't being fixed quickly enough. (I want to reiterate again, I know it's Alpha and there are meant to be bugs, however that's not what I'm complaining about) There are game breaking bugs that simply aren't being fixed quickly enough, and due to these bugs and the fixes taking weeks/months, people are leaving. A couple examples of the bugs that are currently not fixed or took very long:

• Servers crashing mid game.
  • Game lagging during Pre-Game and kicking people for "Cheating" this affects almost 1/2 of the lobby always.
  • Being stuck on blocks (prevents person from moving)
  • Arrow glitch. You shoot an arrow straight and it will somehow move shoot directly up in the air.
  • Some people don't get teleported to the arena (they stay in the lobby)

These are just a few bugs that took away from the player count and made people not want to play. Now I wouldn't complained if these issues were solved relatively quickly, however these have taken months and some are still not even solved yet.

3. Timing. Chad you didn't release the server at the right time. You should have worked on the server development, website, community and then announced it and aimed for July or even earlier. This would've allowed for full release to be sooner and you would've perfectly hit the mark for maximum players. Due to the length of the Alpha and how long the release is taking, people have lost interest. I understand the counter-argument would be "Well how would Chad know what gamemodes to introduce and how would he have hired staff if he developed the server before announcing it?"

• Chad should've simply introduced the gamemodes that were popular on MCSG in it's peak. Survival Games, Battlegrounds, MCSG Maker. Those 3 were the most popular and worked best and any smart business man would know that these are the obvious choices for the return of this server, and therefore there didn't even need to be a survey or community feedback. I know this would've been a risk, however am I wrong that these gamemodes aren't the most popular?

• The website didn't really need to be changed that much and doesn't rely on community feedback, therefore the website could've been completed before it was announced.

• Staff hiring could've been done much quicker than it has been. It wouldn't have taken long to acquire dedicated, trusting staff after the announcement of the server.

Feel free to disagree with me on this, this is simply how I feel.

4. You missed the resurgence. Minecraft experienced a rapid growth in popularity again. This occurred at the start/middle of this yea, but recently has been decreasing (therefore decreasing the interest in MCGamer). The game is more popular than it was a year or two ago yes, however this popularity is declining again. It would've been better to release the server sooner, and Chads delay of recognising this has cost the server.

5. Chad is very misinformed about this community (once again). An example of this is:

• Solo SG. I understand polls indicated people liked Solo SG, however that didn't necessarily mean it should've been added. I just don't understand why you thought a game-mode that was dead during the original version MCSG would be successful now in 2019, I just don't understand that thought process. This is just more wasted resources/server slots.

• Rules. Rules are outdated. I understand you "reformed" the rules slightly, however they are still pretty horrible and not up-to standard for 2019. I'm referring mostly to the text-chat punishments. Filters are just stupid, and banning people for things that are said in game are just ridiculous to me. This is why most people favoured Badlion rules. They were a competitive server and therefore were pretty flexible on chat. They had flexible chat rules, yet fair punishments. E.g Swearing wasn't a mute. Threatening someone (DDOSS Threats) were a ban. Being excessively toxic was a mute. The mute lengths were much shorter and much more fairer. I've seen people banned on MCSG for 5 days for saying things like "I don't like gay people" which is pretty damn excessive regardless of how rude the comment is. I'm fairly certain the average playerbase age has significantly increased as everyone is most likely 15+, there is no reason to be a G Rated server anymore. Let people say what they want, but if they cross the line punish them.

• Another thing is maps. I understand we have more maps now, however the initial Survival Games 1, Survival Games 2, Survival Games 3 was just ridiculous. These maps were underplayed on MCSG for a reason - they sucked in all honesty. (maybe with the exception of SG 2 <3) Because no one wanted to play these maps, Valley and SG4 were the only maps played and became stale almost instantly. While this isn't a problem now, it just shows that Chad was out of touch again with what people wanted and thought that "old" maps would bring back players or that people would like these maps. I differentiate "old" maps with "classic" maps. For example, SG 1 is an "old or OG map", however Valleyside is a "classic" it was the classic maps that needed to be brought back and not "OG" maps. I understand this has been fixed now. I've heard from staff members in the mapping team that Chad refuses to remove SG1 and SG3 simply because he wants them there. These maps could be replaced with other fan favourites such as Zone 85 or Icarus ect. this just shows some stubbornness on behalf of Chad.

However, I do believe Chad has improved within this regard, and Chad I commend you for it. Back in 2015-2016 you wouldn't listen to anyone, however I'm glad there has been some improvement in this department. Respect.

6. YouTubers not recording & promoting and lack of advertisement. You gave Grapeapplesauce, PrivateFearless, Graser, cscoop ect media rank/VIP, yet so far there has been no promoting for the server. I understand again it is Alpha, however it would be smart to try gain and spread awareness now for the full release (whenever that day is). I don't know if you're against bought advertisements for the server or payed promotions via YouTubers, however it would certainly be a good idea for the server. Not having popular YouTubers promote the server is simply not bringing in any new players.

7. Anti-Cheat. I don't really need to say much about this. It's just plain horrible. You guys have never ever been good at coding Anti-Cheats and this variation of MCSG is no different. It kicks people for doing literally nothing wrong, and doesn't ban the most blatant cheaters ever. You can literally fly on this server and not get banned (I've seen people do it). You guys really need to employ someone externally to code the Anti-Cheat because whatever you're doing and have done in the past hasn't worked. The cheaters have caused people not want to play, and the kicking of legit players has also caused people to not enjoy the game.

Anyway I'm tired, sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, please respect my opinion. No disrespect to any devs, staff members or Chad, you are all amazing workers and I respect what you guys have been doing. <3

<3

Last edited:

SickRoarMc

God-to-be
Reaction score
Well written. Time of mcsg is over, was fun to have a little throwback but thats about it.
Its 2019. People who played back then are now adults and got other things in mind. This also explains the large number of people on discord compared to people actually playing the blockgame. They want to chat with old friends from the past, nothing else.
And don't really see how they want new people to join the server... There are other servers, bigger and more beautiful.

Last edited:

LGBT

Survivor
Reaction score
Well writen. Time of mcsg is over, was fun to have a little throwback but thats about it.
Its 2019. People who played back then are now adults and got other things in mind. This also explains the large number of people on discord compared to people actually playing the blockgame. They want to chat with old friends from the past, nothing else.
And don't really see how they want new people to join the server... There are other servers, bigger and more beautiful.
I completely agree with everything you said.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
1. Development is too slow. I understand you just hired another dev (about time), however we have been in Alpha for months now. I understand things take time, however this has simply taken too long. Chad projected months ago for the server to be released by Halloween and this obviously hasn't been achieved. I know it's Alpha and that you want things to be 100% for release but some more haste would prove beneficial to the server. The slow development has lead to other things which will be mentioned below and have negatively impacted this community.
I'd just like to point out that things are going slowly this time because this isn't anyone's "main priority". Chad, Sub, Ava, and the newest dev, Rusty, all have full time jobs. Chad works in IT for the government, and most recently, has had forest fires burning all around his city causing blackouts and power outages. Sub has just recently moved into a new house, and has his own business to run (CubedHost) where Ava also works. Rusty was literally hired less than a week ago.

I agree that it may seem like things are progressing too slowly, but you have to remember right now people have significantly more important things to do with their lives. Unfortunately, MCGamer takes the back burner.

2. Too many bugs that aren't being fixed quickly enough. (I want to reiterate again, I know it's Alpha and there are meant to be bugs, however that's not what I'm complaining about) There are game breaking bugs that simply aren't being fixed quickly enough, and due to these bugs and the fixes taking weeks/months, people are leaving. A couple examples of the bugs that are currently not fixed or took very long:

• Servers crashing mid game.
  • Game lagging during Pre-Game and kicking people for "Cheating" this affects almost 1/2 of the lobby always.
  • Being stuck on blocks (prevents person from moving)
  • Arrow glitch. You shoot an arrow straight and it will somehow move shoot directly up in the air.
  • Some people don't get teleported to the arena (they stay in the lobby)

These are just a few bugs that took away from the player count and made people not want to play. Now I wouldn't complained if these issues were solved relatively quickly, however these have taken months and some are still not even solved yet.
See above.

3. Timing. Chad you didn't release the server at the right time. You should have worked on the server development, website, community and then announced it and aimed for July or even earlier. This would've allowed for full release to be sooner and you would've perfectly hit the mark for maximum players. Due to the length of the Alpha and how long the release is taking, people have lost interest. I understand the counter-argument would be "Well how would Chad know what gamemodes to introduce and how would he have hired staff if he developed the server before announcing it?"

• Chad should've simply introduced the gamemodes that were popular on MCSG in it's peak. Survival Games, Battlegrounds, MCSG Maker. Those 3 were the most popular and worked best and any smart business man would know that these are the obvious choices for the return of this server, and therefore there didn't even need to be a survey or community feedback. I know this would've been a risk, however am I wrong that these gamemodes aren't the most popular?

• The website didn't really need to be changed that much and doesn't rely on community feedback, therefore the website could've been completed before it was announced.

• Staff hiring could've been done much quicker than it has been. It wouldn't have taken long to acquire dedicated, trusting staff after the announcement of the server.

Feel free to disagree with me on this, this is simply how I feel.
This would have never worked if they developed things "in secret". It would have been leaked to all hell, and hiring staff would have been even trickier. Of course, it's all easy to say now that xxxx should have been done like yyyy.

Chad has specified that they will focus on their strengths this time. MCSG, Battlegrounds, and MCSGMaker will be returning.

XenForo went through a huge upgrade, essentially making just "turning on the website" impossible. That's just how development goes.

Do I think that some of the timing was missed? Yes. Is this going to cause the server to die? No, not at all.

4. You missed the resurgence. Minecraft experienced a rapid growth in popularity again. This occurred at the start/middle of this yea, but recently has been decreasing (therefore decreasing the interest in MCGamer). The game is more popular than it was a year or two ago yes, however this popularity is declining again. It would've been better to release the server sooner, and Chads delay of recognising this has cost the server.
Hindsight is 20/20. There is no reason to believe Minecraft won't have a resurgence again. It would have been great to have it back during the resurgence, but I can just hear all the haters now screaming "Chad is just here for the money!", "Of course he decides to start MCSG when Minecraft is coming back!".

5. Chad is very misinformed about this community (once again). An example of this is:

• Solo SG. I understand polls indicated people liked Solo SG, however that didn't necessarily mean it should've been added. I just don't understand why you thought a game-mode that was dead during the original version MCSG would be successful now in 2019, I just don't understand that thought process. This is just more wasted resources/server slots.
Kind of agree. SoloSG is a bit useless, in my opinion, if it isn't the exact same as MCSG just without teams.

• Rules. Rules are outdated. I understand you "reformed" the rules slightly, however they are still pretty horrible and not up-to standard for 2019. I'm referring mostly to the text-chat punishments. Filters are just stupid, and banning people for things that are said in game are just ridiculous to me. This is why most people favoured Badlion rules. They were a competitive server and therefore were pretty flexible on chat. They had flexible chat rules, yet fair punishments. E.g Swearing wasn't a mute. Threatening someone (DDOSS Threats) were a ban. Being excessively toxic was a mute. The mute lengths were much shorter and much more fairer. I've seen people banned on MCSG for 5 days for saying things like "I don't like gay people" which is pretty damn excessive regardless of how rude the comment is. I'm fairly certain the average playerbase age has significantly increased as everyone is most likely 15+, there is no reason to be a G Rated server anymore. Let people say what they want, but if they cross the line punish them.
I agree here. I have said this numerous times on the discord, but I'd like to see the rules loosened a little bit. Light swearing, some toxicity. That is just how the internet is nowadays. I do see the arguments though, Minecraft is a kids game.

• Another thing is maps. I understand we have more maps now, however the initial Survival Games 1, Survival Games 2, Survival Games 3 was just ridiculous. These maps were underplayed on MCSG for a reason - they sucked in all honesty. (maybe with the exception of SG 2 <3) Because no one wanted to play these maps, Valley and SG4 were the only maps played and became stale almost instantly. While this isn't a problem now, it just shows that Chad was out of touch again with what people wanted and thought that "old" maps would bring back players or that people would like these maps. I differentiate "old" maps with "classic" maps. For example, SG 1 is an "old or OG map", however Valleyside is a "classic" it was the classic maps that needed to be brought back and not "OG" maps. I understand this has been fixed now. I've heard from staff members in the mapping team that Chad refuses to remove SG1 and SG3 simply because he wants them there. These maps could be replaced with other fan favourites such as Zone 85 or Icarus ect. this just shows some stubbornness on behalf of Chad.
This is just some straight ignorance. Originally, yes. Chad wanted the OG maps just for some nostalgia (lets be honest, SG1/2/3/4 + Breeze isn't a bad lineup for a month). New maps are being added biweekly, and these are decided by a vote on twitter.

Chad does have say, obviously, but right now Kraken runs the mapping team and decides which maps should be added. If you are very passionate about this, head onto the discord and mention it in the #mcsg-map-disccussions channel! He is very active there and would always love to talk about maps with people.

6. YouTubers not recording & promoting and lack of advertisement. You gave Grapeapplesauce, PrivateFearless, Graser, cscoop ect media rank/VIP, yet so far there has been no promoting for the server. I understand again it is Alpha, however it would be smart to try gain and spread awareness now for the full release (whenever that day is). I don't know if you're against bought advertisements for the server or payed promotions via YouTubers, however it would certainly be a good idea for the server. Not having popular YouTubers promote the server is simply not bringing in any new players.
I can't stress this enough. THIS IS ON PURPOSE. How is this not obvious? I hear this said all the time as proof the server is dead. Chad does not want big youtubers to record and advertise a server with bugs on it. This is common sense. You said it yourself, people are being kicked/games crashing. This would be very bad if youtubers started playing and bringing in new players (who haven't played MCSG) and just see a bug ridden server.

Huawhi released a video, and joined the discord in the same day. This is purely conjecture, but I believe that it wasn't a coincidence. Huawhi likely recorded and uploaded w/o contacting Chad, and Chad has since got in contact with him. We probably won't see another video from him until the server comes out.

7. Anti-Cheat. I don't really need to say much about this. It's just plain horrible. You guys have never ever been good at coding Anti-Cheats and this variation of MCSG is no different. It kicks people for doing literally nothing wrong, and doesn't ban the most blatant cheaters ever. You can literally fly on this server and not get banned (I've seen people do it). You guys really need to employ someone externally to code the Anti-Cheat because whatever you're doing and have done in the past hasn't worked. The cheaters have caused people not want to play, and the kicking of legit players has also caused people to not enjoy the game.
Unfortunately, anti-cheats are extremely hard things to get right. Neither Sub nor Ava are anti cheat developers. Sub has come out and say it that the anti-cheat (as it stands) is poo poo. It would not make fiscal sense to employ someone right now to develop one plugin. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. They need an anticheat to do well, but to get an anticheat they need to do well. The current solution is a bandaid, and I don't doubt we will see much improvement given the time.

Macobeast

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Well written. Time of mcsg is over, was fun to have a little throwback but thats about it.
Any truers in the chat for this one

subtato

District 13
Reaction score
As long as the thread stays positive or neutral, rather than negative/hate-based, it's all fair game, IMHO. I do disagree with some of your points, and likewise I believe Chad would as well, but that's that.

Pixelatorx2 covered a fair bit of what I'd have mentioned, but I'll put my two-cents in here as well.
It's my personal opinion that the server "MCGamer" is dying already.

I believe this is shown by numbers.
Frankly, completely disagreed here for a number of reasons, but I'll list the top reasons that come off the top of my head.

Discord - if the community were dying, we'd see people leaving the Discord or decreased activity in general in the Discord. Instead, it has continued to grow at a rather steady rate. Sure, it could be better, but we're not making the big push for advertisement right now, tying into your point #6 (and will talk about this further on).

Discord #2 - there are 9,000 some odd linked users, but there are 17,000+ members. I believe, wholeheartedly, that this is some miscommunication, language barriers, etc. with regards to how to link accounts and that the server is effectively in an open alpha.

In-Game - a lot of the players are effectively the same people battling each other, constantly. On top of that, there are people who are soloing and are encountering teams and being turned away for the time being. I, for one, would stop playing until it's no longer a registration-based system to join the server so that I could play against a larger variety of members. As a developer, I don't have much of a choice, but if I weren't...

1. Development is too slow.
Agreed. I've been dedicating my time, mostly, to development here at MCGamer to speed things along and get us to a beta state, but as Pixelatorx2 stated on my behalf, there are extraneous events that took place throughout these past few months. I've been moving for the past 2 weeks, as well as for the first month of the community being open, I had been advocating some troubles between us (being CubedHost) and our Chicago datacenter (or MCGamer's NA location) that we were transitioning our infrastructure over to. Following that, I am the lead systems administrator, as well as owner, at CubedHost, thus the following week was my migration of Chicago infrastructure once everything was running smoothly.

Once Beta is out, my time will probably be more split, but I've easily put in towards 40-50h every two weeks on top of my various events. But, obviously, it's not on just me to fix things, and unfortunately, Ava's had some time restraints as well, due to health reasons.

Leading into #2 -

2. Too many bugs that aren't being fixed quickly enough.
This is why we had drilled it into Chad that we need more developers. It sucks right now because the shop isn't open, primarily because Chad is trying to be the good guy who doesn't sell ranks when the product is incomplete. For that, I commend him, but that restricts our budget and restricts what is a priority and what can be placed on the back burner.

Non-critical, non-game-breaking bugs are on the back burner. Simple as that. Crashes, anti-cheat, and overall playability are the priorities right now; lobby games aren't that bad but we are still trying to fix them before beta. Other than that, it's more polishing than it is overall bug fixes for everything reported.

3. Timing.
I wholeheartedly agree: timing wasn't what it could be with some of the choices made, and frankly, it probably would've saved Chad some money with deployment if we had gotten the vast majority of things running before going public. Unfortunately, there was only a limited window from the public tweet from the Hunger Games movie clip to the public "launch" (Discord launch), which is where the development team joined in. I don't blame Chad on this, but I do agree that it could've been done in a smoother fashion. This also leads into #4 -

4. You missed the resurgence.
I believe there's some traffic that was lost due to the social blasting from the start versus where we stand now, yes. However, I don't think it's at such a critical point where we aren't able to recover, but we do have to play the cards right within the next couple of weeks.

5. Chad is very misinformed about this community
Bear in mind that Chad, overall, doesn't really partake in the day-to-day, it's mostly the team making decisions and Chad giving the green light. If you think there should be changes, then suggest it! We're here to make the community a better place and, honestly, we can't do that without your feedback. Some of your comments though, leading into #6...

6. YouTubers not recording & promoting and lack of advertisement.
I do believe there are some talks in the background, but I'd wholeheartedly say this is not the time to have larger content creators making a public effort on the server until we've worked out some of the visual (lobbies) and major backend issues (anticheat). Once done, which I really hope to have finished this or next week, that's when creators should be good to go.

7. Anti-Cheat.
Trust me, we know. We're not anti-cheat developers, but we can reverse the roles and work on making sure legitimate players can play well and have limited triggers from the anticheat to ensure that worse cases (hackers) aren't able to bypass. The trick is that we need players to test, and unfortunately, we're limited for our reach as to who we can grab for testing.

Every time we test, I do post in #network-status, in-game broadcasts in local region first, followed by global broadcasts, and now we'll be doing mods first.

The problem is we don't have enough reliable people to test and make sure our changes are good to go. Patch 3.1.2 was a major overhaul of the anti-cheat, which we also anticipate fixing a number of other backend issues (server crashes, etc.), as well as some larger parts of the backend of our plugin. There are going to be issues, and at this point, we just need to adjust based on what is broken/too strict for generic and competitive gameplay.

Hopefully, this kind of gives some insight as to what's going on in the background, as well as outline my opinions about things that could've been done better. Chad's been doing what he can, but think of him as more of a general manager over the community and everyone else is the moving parts. His full time job is IT, as Pixelatorx2 said, and he only has so much time he can dedicate. We, being the entire moderation and development teams, are the frontline and have to make the right decisions for the community. We can only do that with your feedback and suggestions, and we can only hope that everything goes well for the beta launch.

6block

Gold
Reaction score
Chad does have say, obviously, but right now Kraken runs the mapping team and decides which maps should be added. If you are very passionate about this, head onto the discord and mention it in the #mcsg-map-disccussions channel! He is very active there and would always love to talk about maps with people.
I do hope Kraken reads this, quite a few members of the AU community (myself included) have been arguing with Kraken on the mentioned discord server for the last month or so about map tiering and which maps need to be included. Yet it seems nothing has been done in this regard (obviously TSG2, Alaskan Village and Demon's Breeze were nice additions to the map pool), the only main change has been the re-tiering of Alaskan Village. Although it is good to see staff act on these issues, the fact is that they shouldn't be issues in the first place! All anyone has said since the release of Alpha is to keep everything as it was, not go and change the tiering because you think it is more "balanced". The problem with Kraken and the map team is that they do not have experience with the actual PvP aspect of SG, chest routes and clan battles etc. More map team members need to be added that aren't completely out of the loop when it comes to the SG gamemode itself. As LGBT said above, the REAL classic maps that people enjoyed need to be added (Zone 85, Intertia, Adrenaline and Highway), or the current map pool will get stale.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
I do hope Kraken reads this, quite a few members of the AU community (myself included) have been arguing with Kraken on the mentioned discord server for the last month or so about map tiering and which maps need to be included. Yet it seems nothing has been done in this regard (obviously TSG2, Alaskan Village and Demon's Breeze were nice additions to the map pool), the only main change has been the re-tiering of Alaskan Village. Although it is good to see staff act on these issues, the fact is that they shouldn't be issues in the first place! All anyone has said since the release of Alpha is to keep everything as it was, not go and change the tiering because you think it is more "balanced". The problem with Kraken and the map team is that they do not have experience with the actual PvP aspect of SG, chest routes and clan battles etc. More map team members need to be added that aren't completely out of the loop when it comes to the SG gamemode itself. As LGBT said above, the REAL classic maps that people enjoyed need to be added (Zone 85, Intertia, Adrenaline and Highway), or the current map pool will get stale.
I'd like to direct you to this thread about staleness. Col_StaR's response is encouraging in terms of mapping. I do believe we will see a map rotation type situation created once the mission critical stuff has been been taken care of, as subtato mentioned above.

Unfortunately, map tiers were lost. There is simply no way to get the map tiers 100% as they were originally. Kraken has already stated that maps that are currently NOT on the server will be re-tiered entirely. They will of course listen and make changes where required, but it will be different and that's something that people will just have to get used to.

6block

Gold
Reaction score
Kraken has already stated that maps that are currently NOT on the server will be re-tiered entirely. They will of course listen and make changes where required, but it will be different and that's something that people will just have to get used to.
I am fully aware of this, hence why I said that this SHOULD NOT be the case. I am disagreeing with the fact that this is the case, not asking for information on the topic.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
I am fully aware of this, hence why I said that this SHOULD NOT be the case. I am disagreeing with the fact that this is the case, not asking for information on the topic.
What do you expect them to do?

If you can find video proof of every chest on the map, go ahead and send it in. They try their best to match the original while still keeping balance.

LGBT

Survivor
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that things are going slowly this time because this isn't anyone's "main priority". Chad, Sub, Ava, and the newest dev, Rusty, all have full time jobs. Chad works in IT for the government, and most recently, has had forest fires burning all around his city causing blackouts and power outages. Sub has just recently moved into a new house, and has his own business to run (CubedHost) where Ava also works. Rusty was literally hired less than a week ago.

I agree that it may seem like things are progressing too slowly, but you have to remember right now people have significantly more important things to do with their lives. Unfortunately, MCGamer takes the back burner.
I understand they have lives and full time jobs. I just think MCGamer should have had or should have full attention and someone fully dedicated in order to speed up the process. I believe for this server to work, full attention was/is required. I'm sure they had tons of developer applications from people with free schedules, and I don't know if it's Chad's stubbornness or unwillingness to trust other people again is WHY he is not hiring developers.

See above.
Once again, in order for this server to have worked, they needed someone full time to be working on it.

This would have never worked if they developed things "in secret". It would have been leaked to all hell, and hiring staff would have been even trickier. Of course, it's all easy to say now that xxxx should have been done like yyyy.
I disagree. I think if Chad sought out Col. Star, Sub, Ava the server wouldn't had been leaked at all. As for hiring staff, I don't think it would've been trickier, would've been the same difficulty as has been already.

Chad has specified that they will focus on their strengths this time. MCSG, Battlegrounds, and MCSGMaker will be returning.
I understand, however I think you've missed my point. I'm saying theoretically if Chad wanted to work on the server in secret and then announce it, he could've just implemented these gamemodes without the public knowing as they were very popular on MCSG/

XenForo went through a huge upgrade, essentially making just "turning on the website" impossible. That's just how development goes.
I never once said all they had to do was "turn on the website" my point was and still stands that: The community didn't have much impact on the new forums e.g how it operated, how it looks, therefore the developers and Chad could've worked on the website in secret also.

Do I think that some of the timing was missed? Yes. Is this going to cause the server to die? No, not at all.
I'm glad we somewhat agree. I think timing was everything, and I believe this to be a main factor why the playercount has decreased already.

Hindsight is 20/20. There is no reason to believe Minecraft won't have a resurgence again. It would have been great to have it back during the resurgence, but I can just hear all the haters now screaming "Chad is just here for the money!", "Of course he decides to start MCSG when Minecraft is coming back!".
I personally don't see Minecraft going through another resurgence again - at least until a couple more years. Obviously no one can predict this, but this is my opinion.

Kind of agree. SoloSG is a bit useless, in my opinion, if it isn't the exact same as MCSG just without teams .
It's just wasted money/resources at this point. I've seen one game going of Solo SG and that's it. No one played it on MCSG V1, so I don't know why anyone would play it on this iteration.

I agree here. I have said this numerous times on the discord, but I'd like to see the rules loosened a little bit. Light swearing, some toxicity. That is just how the internet is nowadays. I do see the arguments though, Minecraft is a kids game.
Yeah I agree.

This is just some straight ignorance. Originally, yes. Chad wanted the OG maps just for some nostalgia (lets be honest, SG1/2/3/4 + Breeze isn't a bad lineup for a month). New maps are being added biweekly, and these are decided by a vote on twitter.

I don't think my opinion was ignorant. Infact I based that statement of what the majority of people in-game the first couple weeks of Alpha were complaining about. SG1/2/3 were all underplayed on MCSG, and don't fit the current meta of how SG is played. I think it's ignorant that the thought process was purely "nostalgia" based. (Btw, I wasn't complaining about SG4 or Valley being on the map pool, they were the only two maps being played though) As for Breeze, it disappeared and didn't get fixed til about 2 months later. I can support the new maps being biweekly and I think that's a good system. My point though wasn't complaining about how new maps were being implemented or complaining about how the current map pool is, I was just trying to prove how stubborn Chad is and how out of touch he is with the community again, because trust me, I don't think SG1/2/3 we're on peoples lists of which maps they wanted back on MCSG.

As for Kraken running the mapping team, this isn't a good thing. lol. That guy can take no criticism and everything negatively said about his map tiering or decisions he cries about it and plays the victim. Infact I recall one time Kraken saying "If you guys keep saying negative things, I'm just not going to read it at all" to me that isn't a great person to be in position of a mapping team, and he needs to be replaced with someone competent and someone who is happy to take criticism and listen to the majority of the community.

His mapping decisions so far have been atrocious. Most of the community didn't/does not like the re-tiering of "classic" maps and it's kinda ruined some of the maps as there are literally no good routes at all. Countless people sent in videos to help them achieve the original tiering, plenty of community members offered and extended their hand to help identify in-game which chests were Tier 1's & Tier 2's, however these were all declined/overlooked. I'm glad Par has basically been reverted to original tiering, yet Holiday resort is still not perfect and some routes just don't exist anymore.

I can't stress this enough. THIS IS ON PURPOSE. How is this not obvious? I hear this said all the time as proof the server is dead. Chad does not want big youtubers to record and advertise a server with bugs on it. This is common sense. You said it yourself, people are being kicked/games crashing. This would be very bad if youtubers started playing and bringing in new players (who haven't played MCSG) and just see a bug ridden server.

Huawhi released a video, and joined the discord in the same day. This is purely conjecture, but I believe that it wasn't a coincidence. Huawhi likely recorded and uploaded w/o contacting Chad, and Chad has since got in contact with him. We probably won't see another video from him until the server comes out.
I think recording with bugs is fine, as long as it is made clear that the server is in ALPHA testing. Obviously YouTubers for MCGamer wouldn't be uploading content of them being kicked from lobbies/games or uploading content of games crashing, that would just be stupid. I think Chad could've done something like a YouTuber event or tournament though to spread awareness.

Unfortunately, anti-cheats are extremely hard things to get right. Neither Sub nor Ava are anti cheat developers. Sub has come out and say it that the anti-cheat (as it stands) is poo poo. It would not make fiscal sense to employ someone right now to develop one plugin. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. They need an anticheat to do well, but to get an anticheat they need to do well. The current solution is a bandaid, and I don't doubt we will see much improvement given the time.
You said it yourself, Sub nor Ava are AC developers. I don't see how the issue is going to get solved if someone isn't externally sourced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci