- Oct 20, 2019
- Reaction score
I have a feeling this post will be deleted as most staff on here don't like opposing opinions and will try invalidate my reasons for my opinions, and therefore will not allow for an open discussion to be made. I ask that staff members please read this thread thoroughly and understand this is my opinion.
Firstly I'd just like to state I mean no disrespect to Chad. I respect what you have tried to do this time around, and respect the bold decision to bring back MCGamer after 3 years and try rebuild the community that was lost.
Another thing I'd like to clear up is my use of the word "Dying". I am not saying the server is dead - (In my definition dead means: 0 players & no community) "dying" in my terms refers the player-count decreasing, the interest decreasing and the server nearing "death" or nearing being "dead".
It's my personal opinion that the server "MCGamer" is dying already.
I believe this is shown by numbers. Now obviously I don't have access to all the data and can therefore not review all the numbers for player counts, peak players at a current time ect. but personally from seeing the player count displayed on the Minecraft server list, It's fairly obvious the player count has seen a decline and that the playerbase is dying. A month or two ago, the server would surpass 100-150 players quite regularly, and I believe someone said the record for current players on at one time was around 250. Reviewing the player count now, it barley surpasses 50 players. This is quite concerning considering the server is basically open (I understand it's still in Alpha, however everyone can access this by registering). Chad is always telling people how impressive the 10,000+ member count on Discord is, yet this has proved to mean nothing as the server has never surpassed anything above 250+ players. This doesn't really make sense and to me shows the interest for this gamemode/server has passed already.
Reasons why I think it's dying:
1. Development is too slow. I understand you just hired another dev (about time), however we have been in Alpha for months now. I understand things take time, however this has simply taken too long. Chad projected months ago for the server to be released by Halloween and this obviously hasn't been achieved. I know it's Alpha and that you want things to be 100% for release but some more haste would prove beneficial to the server. The slow development has lead to other things which will be mentioned below and have negatively impacted this community.
2. Too many bugs that aren't being fixed quickly enough. (I want to reiterate again, I know it's Alpha and there are meant to be bugs, however that's not what I'm complaining about) There are game breaking bugs that simply aren't being fixed quickly enough, and due to these bugs and the fixes taking weeks/months, people are leaving. A couple examples of the bugs that are currently not fixed or took very long:
- Servers crashing mid game.
- Game lagging during Pre-Game and kicking people for "Cheating" this affects almost 1/2 of the lobby always.
- Being stuck on blocks (prevents person from moving)
- Arrow glitch. You shoot an arrow straight and it will somehow move shoot directly up in the air.
- Some people don't get teleported to the arena (they stay in the lobby)
These are just a few bugs that took away from the player count and made people not want to play. Now I wouldn't complained if these issues were solved relatively quickly, however these have taken months and some are still not even solved yet.
3. Timing. Chad you didn't release the server at the right time. You should have worked on the server development, website, community and then announced it and aimed for July or even earlier. This would've allowed for full release to be sooner and you would've perfectly hit the mark for maximum players. Due to the length of the Alpha and how long the release is taking, people have lost interest. I understand the counter-argument would be "Well how would Chad know what gamemodes to introduce and how would he have hired staff if he developed the server before announcing it?"
- Chad should've simply introduced the gamemodes that were popular on MCSG in it's peak. Survival Games, Battlegrounds, MCSG Maker. Those 3 were the most popular and worked best and any smart business man would know that these are the obvious choices for the return of this server, and therefore there didn't even need to be a survey or community feedback. I know this would've been a risk, however am I wrong that these gamemodes aren't the most popular?
- The website didn't really need to be changed that much and doesn't rely on community feedback, therefore the website could've been completed before it was announced.
- Staff hiring could've been done much quicker than it has been. It wouldn't have taken long to acquire dedicated, trusting staff after the announcement of the server.
Feel free to disagree with me on this, this is simply how I feel.
4. You missed the resurgence. Minecraft experienced a rapid growth in popularity again. This occurred at the start/middle of this yea, but recently has been decreasing (therefore decreasing the interest in MCGamer). The game is more popular than it was a year or two ago yes, however this popularity is declining again. It would've been better to release the server sooner, and Chads delay of recognising this has cost the server.
5. Chad is very misinformed about this community (once again). An example of this is:
- Solo SG. I understand polls indicated people liked Solo SG, however that didn't necessarily mean it should've been added. I just don't understand why you thought a game-mode that was dead during the original version MCSG would be successful now in 2019, I just don't understand that thought process. This is just more wasted resources/server slots.
- Rules. Rules are outdated. I understand you "reformed" the rules slightly, however they are still pretty horrible and not up-to standard for 2019. I'm referring mostly to the text-chat punishments. Filters are just stupid, and banning people for things that are said in game are just ridiculous to me. This is why most people favoured Badlion rules. They were a competitive server and therefore were pretty flexible on chat. They had flexible chat rules, yet fair punishments. E.g Swearing wasn't a mute. Threatening someone (DDOSS Threats) were a ban. Being excessively toxic was a mute. The mute lengths were much shorter and much more fairer. I've seen people banned on MCSG for 5 days for saying things like "I don't like gay people" which is pretty damn excessive regardless of how rude the comment is. I'm fairly certain the average playerbase age has significantly increased as everyone is most likely 15+, there is no reason to be a G Rated server anymore. Let people say what they want, but if they cross the line punish them.
- Another thing is maps. I understand we have more maps now, however the initial Survival Games 1, Survival Games 2, Survival Games 3 was just ridiculous. These maps were underplayed on MCSG for a reason - they sucked in all honesty. (maybe with the exception of SG 2 <3) Because no one wanted to play these maps, Valley and SG4 were the only maps played and became stale almost instantly. While this isn't a problem now, it just shows that Chad was out of touch again with what people wanted and thought that "old" maps would bring back players or that people would like these maps. I differentiate "old" maps with "classic" maps. For example, SG 1 is an "old or OG map", however Valleyside is a "classic" it was the classic maps that needed to be brought back and not "OG" maps. I understand this has been fixed now. I've heard from staff members in the mapping team that Chad refuses to remove SG1 and SG3 simply because he wants them there. These maps could be replaced with other fan favourites such as Zone 85 or Icarus ect. this just shows some stubbornness on behalf of Chad.
However, I do believe Chad has improved within this regard, and Chad I commend you for it. Back in 2015-2016 you wouldn't listen to anyone, however I'm glad there has been some improvement in this department. Respect.
6. YouTubers not recording & promoting and lack of advertisement. You gave Grapeapplesauce, PrivateFearless, Graser, cscoop ect media rank/VIP, yet so far there has been no promoting for the server. I understand again it is Alpha, however it would be smart to try gain and spread awareness now for the full release (whenever that day is). I don't know if you're against bought advertisements for the server or payed promotions via YouTubers, however it would certainly be a good idea for the server. Not having popular YouTubers promote the server is simply not bringing in any new players.
7. Anti-Cheat. I don't really need to say much about this. It's just plain horrible. You guys have never ever been good at coding Anti-Cheats and this variation of MCSG is no different. It kicks people for doing literally nothing wrong, and doesn't ban the most blatant cheaters ever. You can literally fly on this server and not get banned (I've seen people do it). You guys really need to employ someone externally to code the Anti-Cheat because whatever you're doing and have done in the past hasn't worked. The cheaters have caused people not want to play, and the kicking of legit players has also caused people to not enjoy the game.
Anyway I'm tired, sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, please respect my opinion. No disrespect to any devs, staff members or Chad, you are all amazing workers and I respect what you guys have been doing. <3