• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mac or Windows?

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I have the option to give my brother my windows, and get the mac, or I can keep the windows and my brother gets the mac. My windows can run at max 80 Fps. Not sure about the mac. Please leave suggestions!

H

Holiday

It all really depends on the computer! Which Mac are you planning on getting? I know that people generally say, "Windows is much better for gaming, blah blah" but, it all depends on the computer's specs. My MacBook Pro generally gets an average of 100 FPS while my friend's Windows laptop only gets around 40 FPS. It's about the specs, not the operating system. :D

Tuatara

District 13
Reaction score
Even if it gets less fps?
Well, mac drives me crazy!! I guess it matters what you start with. If you were brought up with windows you would prefer it. Same goes with mac.

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It all really depends on the computer! Which Mac are you planning on getting? I know that people generally say, "Windows is much better for gaming, blah blah" but, it all depends on the computer's specs. My MacBook Pro generally gets an average of 100 FPS while my friend's Windows laptop only gets around 40 FPS. It's about the specs, not the operating system. :D
Well my mom just got a new MacBook Air, but she just got a new job, so she got a new computer. I will check the specs.

Giggums

District 13
Reaction score
I've used both. There is a major misconception that Macs are terrible for gaming, but they're really not. If you get a modern day Mac, then it will run just fine. Now, you can probably get a Windows for a little bit cheaper, but if you're looking for a full on, best gaming experience then you'll probably want to go with Windows. Macs are a lot more accessible in different ways, branching outside of gaming like photo/video editing. They also can't get viruses or bugs and rarely over heat. If you're going for safety, reliability, sleek design and smooth performance I would chose Mac. If you want gaming then go with Windows.

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
Well my mom just got a new MacBook Air, but she just got a new job, so she got a new computer. I will check the specs.
The Macbook Air isn't really that great for gaming.

OGLad_

Career
Reaction score
on imac I have 150-250 fps on all maps except Icarus. on my mom MacBook Pro I get 90-150 fps on every map and can get around 90 when rec on macbook

iMac : 12gb of ram and I ply on 4 chunk
MacBook: 4gb of ram an 8 chunk

Last edited:

Gunzo

Tribute
Reaction score
WINDOWS... mac gave me 30 fps and wen rec like 5 my windows gives me 700 fps and rec 100 - 150 fps... the human eye can only see 60fps anyway so KEEP THE WINDOWS

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Ok. Tomorrow I'm going to check the specs, and run minecraft to see if it gets decent fps. And HolidayResort do you record on your mac?
Don't bother checking the specs.
All current Macbook Airs have:
1.4 Ghz Intel i5
4 GB of Ram
SSD (the only thing that changes is the SSD per model)

Pricing isn't even making sense on the current Macbook Air generation.

You can confirm the information here
Macbook Air is not made for gaming, at least not this generation. Prior generations have had better processors. My Macbook Air has 1.8 Ghz I5, whereas the new ones have 1.4 for some reason... I do suppose the new models have "better" graphics.

I will put it simple: No Mac laptop under 1,500 dollars will be good for gaming. I would recommend you buy the $1,799 bucks Macbook Pro Retina Display 13 inches, however it only has Intel Iris Graphics. The minimum you're looking for is Intel Graphics Pro (Unlike the Intel Iris Graphics, Intel Iris Pro Graphics is half integrated and half dedicated GPU, obviously there will be a whole better performance).

I recommend you buy a Macbook Pro Retina Display 15 inches as far as laptops go. The stock retina 15 inches is $1,999 bucks. If you have the money, buy the higher-end Retina which is $2,499 bucks.

If you think the price is crazy, Razer laptops' price isn't nowhere far from these. Additionally, Razer laptops have the same or lower specs compared to the highest-end Macbook Pro Retina display.

As far as desktop Macs go, they're fairly packed! If you're striving money-wise, I would buy the 21 inch iMac priced at $1,499. However, if possible, I would either get the 27 inch iMac priced at $1,999 or the 5k Retina Display iMac priced at $2,499.

I recommend you stay away from the following models if you plan on using any Macintosh for gaming:
  • Macbook Air's (these are school focused)
  • Stock Model iMac (the cheapest one).
  • Mac Mini's (these are for handling servers, not games. Perhaps the highest-end Mac Mini could run MC decently).
  • Stock Macbook Pro (the cheapest one)
  • Any of the 13 inches Retina Display (perhaps the highest-end 13 inches Retina Display wouldn't be a bad idea).
  • Mac Pro's (Too expensive, unneeded).

References:
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-mini
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members