• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How did MCSG even start?

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
In regards to some of the posts above - Vareide, contrary to popular belief, was not the first to create the idea of automated Survival Games servers. Although he and his build team created the first SG map, Survival Games 1, ChadTheDJ was the first to create the idea of the first automated Minecraft Survival Games servers... or what we now know as MCSG.
Also, kpwn243 did not create the original plugin, he was simply the first of us to use Git, a method of source code control that we still use today. Even though MCSG was started in mid-April 2012, the first commit to the Git repository dates from around May 9, 2012, if I remember correctly. nossr50 created the original MCSGv1 plugin; MCSGv2 development began in early January 2013 from an idea sparked between me, mooman219, and subv3rsion, and was released the night of February 17, 2013.

ChadTheDJ

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vareide, who lives in Norway, saw the movie and became the first one to organize an actual Hunger Games server. He got some friends together, and on April 5, 2012 they started building SG 1, which was done a few days later. They installed a few plugins and made a lobby, then opened the servers for testing a few days later. For some reason I don't know how ChadTheDJ got involved, along with his close admins and developers, maybe they were part of that original build team/code team with Vareide?
Correcting a lot of errors with this paragraph. Forairan went into detail but my short version is that TV made SG1 and was a map where the server owner (the game master) needed to pretty much do everything. Reset the map, teleport people in the holes and start the game all manually which took forever to start new games after completing. Back in April 2012, there was no Survival Games plugins, so I took in the liberty on hiring some coders I know to create the first working beta back in the end of April. Variede and Team Variede had really no involvement in these servers besides making the first community maps and advertising their YouTube channels. This was how this community was spawned and obviously my automation idea worked as we are still growing almost 2 years later!

Fun taking a trip down memory lane!

Vanicle | Vanessa

District 13
Reaction score
Correcting a lot of errors with this paragraph. Forairan went into detail but my short version is that TV made SG1 and was a map where the server owner (the game master) needed to pretty much do everything. Reset the map, teleport people in the holes and start the game all manually which took forever to start new games after completing. Back in April 2012, there was no Survival Games plugins, so I took in the liberty on hiring some coders I know to create the first working beta back in the end of April. Variede and Team Variede had really no involvement in these servers besides making the first community maps and advertising their YouTube channels. This was how this community was spawned and obviously my automation idea worked as we are still growing almost 2 years later!

Fun taking a trip down memory lane!
How this community was "spawned"... spoken like a true gamer

JustFreeky

Survivor
Reaction score
Yes members may add comments, BUT WHAT! Clankstart Helped??!?!?

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
I'm sorry I was so innacurate in my first paragraph on the first page, maybe I should have researched some more, haha. Oh well, at least someone knew what they were talking about and could correct me.

KingFlight

Experienced
Reaction score
BETA was full of memories and will be the glitchiest..but funnest time on the servers I will ever experience.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
We could potentially say MCSG wouldn't be here if Vareide didn't build Survival Games 1. There, even though Vareide is banned maybe to the date, mcsg would exist.

But then, again, Chad was the one who started the project of an automated plugin. Its a controversial topic..

JWingWangWong

Experienced
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was because of the Hunger Games movie. It was so popular people thought it was a good idea to make it into a bukkit plugin and thus Survival Games servers came to life.

MiCr2

District 13
Reaction score
Clackstar helped but left when the whole bajan thing happened and the hive exploded In popularity cause bajan went there after MCSG
Have to correct you a bit.

1. Its Clankstar
2. It wasn't because of BajanCanadian. Clankstar left after what happened between TV and Chad. Vareide teamed up with Jolly O' Brits to make his own Hunger Games/Survival Games, some arguments happened and Clankstar went to join Jolly O' Brits and Vareide to help make their plugins. A few weeks or months later, long after Clankstar had left, BajanCanadian was banned for using Better Sprint mod and went to the Hive.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
We could potentially say MCSG wouldn't be here if Vareide didn't build Survival Games 1.
Somebody would have eventually come out with a high-quality Survival Games map, Team Vareide was simply the first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci