• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Flint n Steel: The great equalizer

nate252

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Let me just explain how amazing (and possibly OP) flint and steel (or FnS) is.
First I will share an example of a situation I used it in (just 5 minuets ago).

Story:
I went to corn (map 4), chain and gold armor besides a leather chest plate, iron sword, FnS, and assorted items. I was met by a team of two with full iron, 1 or 2 pieces of chain or gold, one had iron sword the other had a diamond sword. I am screwed right? Well I drew them to a choke point where it was 1 block thick, along the upper part of corn, and lit a fire with the FnS in their path as they went through this choke point. They both caught aflame. Both panicked and one fell off into the lower part of corn and the other was jumping around. I jumped down after the lower guy (because he had the diamond sword) chased and killed him, and without even equipping his D sword, chased after his friend (who was now not on fire) and killed him in corn.
Wow.. I mean wow. I was clearly outmatched in weapons and armor AND number of players but still won with over half my hearts!

This is not the first time I have pulled off something amazing like this while using my little friend, the flint and steel.

Because I only play solo, I use it best against teams or overpowered players. It really is the great equalizer as it can even make an OP team of two run with their burning tails between their legs.

Why is it so good?
It not only damages players extra while they are in the actual fire, but it continues to damage them after passing through. Along with this it takes away their ability to sprint, making chasing the victim or escaping even easier. Also it distorts their vision and jolts their character with every damage taken. Getting lit on fire is an scary experience and most players panic and dont know what to do!

Crafting:
This amazing tool only takes 1 flint and 1 iron and can be crafted without a table. You may think, its a waste of an iron. To put it simply, its not. It is probably the best thing you can use your iron for in the game. Iron swords are overrated, I can kill someone just as easily with a stone sword. If you have the choice between and iron sword and the FnS, take the FnS and kill a guy with and iron sword with it :)

Uses:
FnS has many uses. Here are a few.
-Kill people! Offence.
-Run away! Defense.
-Burn items you dont want and dont want other players to have.
-Keep yourself warm at night :3
-Light up a super dark area.
-Create a choke point.
-Block off entrances/exits, trap them or yourself!

Ouch that burns!
Hey not everything is perfect, here are some things to look out for when it comes to FnS.
-You can catch yourself on fire (Ive done it).
-You can miss, which sucks.
-Water, not friends of the FnS.
-Not 100% success. Its still possible to be killed by someone that is on fire, its just unlikely. If you do die, you may even get an afterlife kill!
-It really sucks when you are on the receiving end! If you catch on fire stop drop and roll! If that dosnt work jump into any close by water. If there is no water, eat a golden apple, attempt to run, or try and continue attacking the other player like a boss.
-And it does take an iron which could be used for other crafting, and uses flint which could be used for arrows.
-Dosnt burn on certain blocks! Like half slabs, maybe more.

The bow and arrow was my favorite weapon in the game because of the crazy kills it helped me get. And it still is! But I strongly believe FnS is even more powerful and can topple the most OP player or large team if used correctly.
Now just dont use it on me ;)

Elisha

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
FnS totally helped me out against a guy with a D-sword when I have like a stone sword. Armour was about the same.

Toa-Rex

Career
Reaction score
i like this thread it's helpful even tho i can't play now 'cause i have crazy lag but still helpful!

Reaction score
I have to agree, FnS is awesome, but if i have 1 iron and 1 flint i will usually save it for a sword, but any other circumstance, and I will craft a FnS!

toby22

District 13
Reaction score
FnS helped me when there was a team of two iron and iron sword vs me iron and dia sword killed them both :)

Porkstorm

District 13
Reaction score
You didn't wern meh. I throuded mi pertato in ter fir and it tileperturd D:

Benergy09

Spectator
Reaction score
Yeah, flint and steels are definitely one of the most useful weapons to craft. It's helped me out of plenty of sticky situations in the past. I almost always craft one the first opportunity I get.

sirxman

Spectator
Reaction score
when ever i get a fns in a match everone is gonna die undefined

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
All I can say is I lag (I often average 7-15 fps), and when lagging, it is really hard to light someone on fire without yourself catching on fire as well. :p So many times I have done this! Just be careful if you're a lagger! And if someone lights you on fire, just keep attacking, don't run because they will catch you anyway!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci