• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

[Discussion] Does the Internet change our personalities?

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, the internet does change peoples' personalities with contact, but it depends on the person and the interaction.

In my experience, people behave much worse on the internet than they do in real life. It's the Online Disinhibition Effect, where people who are masked by the internet's anonymity will abandon social rules or moral inhibitions based on the fact that the can get away with it online. In a world that shuns being a jerk in real life, it gives closet jerks a place to act like the jerks they truly are.

But I've met trolls, creepers, and flamers IRL, and they behave much more sanely and politely once they are met in an environment with social order, restrictions, and known identities. They're often people you don't expect, and sometimes they're quite similar to you in many ways (save for online interactions). They are unique characters, as unique as we all are, but they are still people. They just behave differently in a different environment than the rest of us; for good or ill, that's another topic.

But at the same time, I believe the internet changes people for the better as well. It might be a series of tubes, but it offers us communities, friends, opportunities, and responsibilities that are no less real than the ones we have in real life; they're a lot nicer when the person they're talking with can punch them in the balls at any time. During my 10 years of community management, I feel that I've honed a number of skills and undertaken several large projects that I would not have in real life, and I've grown because of it. The reason I believe in forgiveness policies on this network for past trouble-makers is because I know that people can change for the better with the right circumstances, and that those people are not likely to squander a second chance.

People act like the internet is somehow a lesser medium than real life for friendships and work. But based on my experience, that is simply not true. The internet is just a different medium, but it is still very real.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The internet is a pretty great place tbh.
In my opinion the internet shows that the world is headed for a very uni-cultural, multi-belief, accepting place. The internet connects us so we can share our thoughts and feelings, and therefore those can reach more people than ever. I predict that in 50 to 60 years, due to the seemingly exponential growth of computer tech described by moore's law, people will be immortal. And that's not biological immortality, but rather you'll have your consciousness inside of a computer. Therefore everyone will have achieved immortality and stuff like drugs and alcohol will not be used as frequently because people aren't like "#Y0l0 time to screw up my lyf!!1". Although I digressed quite frequently in this paragraph overall my opinion is that the internet is one of the best things ever invented and will be read in history books like we read about the dawn of agriculture.

Ayres

Survivor
Reaction score
Definitely!
Some people say they have a 6 pack and act like thugs, but they really have flabs and probs a pack of 24 donuts beside them...

Zetzus

Platinum
Reaction score
Definitely!
Some people say they have a 6 pack and act like thugs, but they really have flabs and probs a pack of 24 donuts beside them...
Absolutely perfect example right there sir.

but y not hav both?

In short: The internet gives many people confidence, and some people a little too much confidence.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I think it does. People are bigger jerks online, and sometimes that can start to bleed over to real life as well. I like to think that I haven't been affected too much in that regard, but things like my sense of humor have certainly been changed.

The internet also tends to skew our world view a bit. Online minority groups and opinions are thrust into public view and seem far more prevalent than they actually are. Even within the internet you can see this effect: opinions of those on the forums here are normally more extreme than those of the masses of random casual players. They may seem to get a lot of support, but then you realize that the 100 people that support the idea make up about .01% of the population relevant to the idea.

P3num6ra

Career
Reaction score
It can change how we speak. (older people influence)
It can change how we believe. (illuminati videos BUSH DID 9/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
It can change how we look. (The spread of culture from others)
It can change how we tackle our enemies. (I personally became less hostile over time imo)
Almost like a disease without feelings and no goal. It just changes.

Ayres

Survivor
Reaction score
Absolutely perfect example right there sir.

but y not hav both?

In short: The internet gives many people confidence, and some people a little too much confidence.
Couldn't of said it any better, fine sir :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci