• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Games: The SoloSG Winter Cup Tournament

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Community Games!
Hello Tributes! I am excited to announce MCGamer's first official Community Games event, the SoloSG Winter Cup. We hope to start the year with a blast from the past, This event marks the first official event hosted by MCGamer's Community Engagement Team and is the first event to be held in 2020. We hope to ring in the new year with an exciting tournament in a game type that people have been clamoring for: SoloSG.

As we go forward, we hope to continue with regular Community Games events in the months to come. If all goes well with this event, we hope to follow it up with yet more special and exclusively hosted games!

The Winter Cup Tournament
No Teams, No Bounties, All Skill: prove you are among the best amongst your fellow Beta players as you test your mettle in single-handed competition. The Winter Cup will test your abilities to survive when all you can rely on is your wits, your luck, and your PvP ability. Players will be playing four consecutive matches across four different maps, each vying to place higher in the leaderboards than their competition. Players will earn points based on their placement at the end of each game. The player with the most points after all four games is deemed the winner of the SoloSG Winter Cup!

Hosting this event will be members of our very own Community Engagement Team, SixZoSeven and G33ke.
Additional Moderation duties will be handled by a small selection of trusted and capable Moderators who have volunteered to help arrange and assist with the event.

Everyone who is eligible to play is encouraged to participate. Competitive players, casual players, staff members, and streamers can all try their luck in the tournament for a chance at the prize.

Current Prizes:
  1. $25 Grand Prize*1
  2. Custom Forum Theme
  3. Custom Discord Tag
  4. Bragging rights that you're the very best, like no one ever was.
*1: cash prize must be payable via Paypal. It's the only payment method I have.

The Map Selection
For the tournament, we are looking for a selection of maps that provide the best combination of familiar routes, fun gameplay, and winter aesthetics to fit the tournament's theme. The Mapping Team is hard at work to determine which maps fit those criteria, and we'll have our selection decided in short order; I will update this thread as soon as we have a decision made.
We will have the map line-up finalized hopefully by next week, but definitely by the time sign-ups close.

Current Map Line-Up:
  1. Alaskan Village
  2. Winter Haven
  3. Par72 (Holiday Edition)
  4. Solar Frost
  5. (Overtime Map) Survival Games 5
Guidelines and Rules
In order to participate in the SoloSG Winter Cup, all participants must abide by the following rules:
  • All participants must abide by all of MCGamer's rules and staff rulings.
    • That obviously includes no teaming in-game, since this is SoloSG.
    • Rules violations will incur immediate punishment appropriate to the offense, followed by ejection from the event and a ban on participating in future events.
  • All participants must refrain from toxic behavior, including trash talk, abuse, or poor sportsmanship in public channels. We're all here to have fun, so we won't accept people being jerks.
  • All participants must be signed up to participate using the forum link below.
  • All participants must be present and in the lobby at the beginning of each game in order to play. Players who wish to quit the tournament early may do so, but they will be unable to participate in future games in this event.
    • Players who are not present at the beginning of a match will forfeit their position in the games thereafter, and another player who is on the wait-list and is present may be substituted to take their place.
  • In the event of a first place tie at the end of the fourth game, a fifth overtime game will be played with the remaining participants. Whoever has the most points after the conclusion of the fifth game is deemed the winner. In the event of an additional first place tie at the end of the fifth game, the player with the highest placement average per game is deemed the winner.

Event Calendar (and When the Games Begin)
There are four dates to note going forward if you wish to participate in the SoloSG Winter Cup:
  1. Participant Sign Ups Close: January 8th at midnight PST. Be sure to sign up before then, or you will not be eligible to attend!
  2. Participant Roster Created: January 9th. To those who have signed up and are selected to participate, we will be informing you of your participation via Forum Message, so be sure to check your inbox!
  3. (Optional) Participant Discord Check-In: January 10th at 6 PM PST. For the players who are selected to participate either on the initial roster or on the wait-list, we will be hosting an optional meeting on the MCGamer Discord to discuss rules, expectations, guidelines, order of events, and miscellaneous information. This is also where we'll double-check to make sure that your account information is correct so that you can successfully participate, so be sure to attend if you can!
  4. The Winter Cup games officially begin: Saturday, January 11th at 11 AM PST.
    1. Use this link to convert that time and date into your local time zone: Event Time Converter

How to Participate
If you'd like to participate in this Community Games event, sign up using the Google Form here:

After the sign-ups close, we will be picking at most 24 players to participate, along with 24 other players on the wait-list in case some of the first wave of participants decide to quit early. We will be picking a variety of players, but we aim to have approximately 20% staff, 20% highly competitive players, and 60% random players selected by random lottery.

Note that due to current restrictions with the MCSG Maker system, we may not have enough space for spectators or streamers who do not wish to play in the games. We will make room for spectators or streamers if we can. But if you would like to stream the games, your best bet would be to sign up as a participant and play the games yourself!

Questions? Ask them Here!
I'm sure that there is a lot of questions to be asked, just as I'm sure that there is plenty of information I likely forgot to share.
If you have any questions, please feel free to place write them here. Myself or any of the hosts will do our best to answer them ahead of time.

Alternate title was, "The Winter Tournament Solo Cup ", but that just made me think of those red Solo cups.

Last edited:

Alyssa

Fabulous
Reaction score
I assume it’ll be an NA based event? Or how will the region decision work? Haha

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
Really hope there's a hitreg hotfix coming before this happens because if not, it'll be a game determined by awful triggerbot and reach checks.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about the forum being inaccessible; I thought it was already public.

It should now be viewable for all users, so sign up now!

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
We already have over 70 players signed up on the form in under a day of this announcement. That is way more than we had originally anticipated, and we're excited to see so many eager players willing to partake. We hope the odds are in your favor to be picked to participate!

Which server is this being held on?
I assume it’ll be an NA based event? Or how will the region decision work? Haha
Hope it won’t be on au servers
The event is planned for the North American servers, since a majority of our playerbase and event management staff are based in NA. However, non-NA players are invited to attend if they can, and we've already had some EU players voice their interest in attending.

If this event model is successful, we plan to run events in other regions as well. We'll go where there is a sufficient amount of player interest in participating. But given our current community demographics, it only makes sense to start things in NA.

Originally I intended for this competition to have a $100k prize pool, but Col. Star only had $25.00 in his PayPal account, so we had to settle a little lower.
You never told me what you did with the extra $99,975 we got, though.

Last edited:

Hiku

Spectator
Reaction score
So excited to take part in this sound's like so much fun! >3</!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci