• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Discussion: Should Ex-Hackers be Considered for Mod?

Mango

Mega Nonce.
Reaction score
For people like Mooclan I'd say it's different. I've been a moderator on a big server before and have banned many hackers. From my point of view the evidence that got him banned wasn't really sufficient to warrant a sanction. I assume there was a little confusion with some client side lag which made him look slightly suspicious. However that's just my opinion. :c

EDIT: Just posting my personal opinion here. I'd like to think nothing bad can come of it. Just to clarify I'm not saying he should be pardoned of his ban, I'd just like to say that I don't think the evidence best represents what he was banned for. I am also not attempting to cause flame or arguments. Danke!

Last edited:

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
It's only been a few days, but I am thoroughly impressed by what I've read thus far. I too am surprised how forgiving and accepting everyone is thus far; the initial belief was that a modest minority of people would cautiously suggest forgiveness, while a staunch majority of people would oppose it.

In addition, the discussion going on is fantastic and thoughtful, and I'm glad to see both sides of the argument coming out and discussing things fairly. To everyone who contributed, thank you.

roguehh: Seeing those graphs made me a bit nostalgic for the Hacker Census. I'm proud to see you are still willing to work hard to show the larger truth of the matter. Also, dem graphs.

Ava: Does this thread mean I win?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I think that any player who has been banned in the past should have the right to apply for mod and not be declined immediately (not necessarily just hacks :p). I know that there are many great members of the community who have been banned for various reasons but could easily be better mods than many staff members we've had over the years.

The way I see it, it's similar to an age exception. You're considering someone who doesn't necessarily meet the requirements because he deserves the chance at the very least, even if the application process is harder than average. I think the same idea can be applied to previously banned players. They should be considered, but make the application process more thorough to make sure this this ex-rule breaker is no longer a rule breaker.

I myself have downloaded and used hacks before on a server (not this one, and I know for a fact that many other people have too), and I can definitely say it's really not that great of an experience. I'm sure that there are other hackers who feel the same way, especially if they got in trouble for what they did.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
It's only been a few days, but I am thoroughly impressed by what I've read thus far. I too am surprised how forgiving and accepting everyone is thus far; the initial belief was that a modest minority of people would cautiously suggest forgiveness, while a staunch majority of people would oppose it.

In addition, the discussion going on is fantastic and thoughtful, and I'm glad to see both sides of the argument coming out and discussing things fairly. To everyone who contributed, thank you.

roguehh: Seeing those graphs made me a bit nostalgic for the Hacker Census. I'm proud to see you are still willing to work hard to show the larger truth of the matter. Also, dem graphs.

Ava: Does this thread mean I win?
We can chalk this one up as a win. I too am proud of the fact that our users can have a civilized debate about such a controversial topic such as this. Whether or not we do decide to go ahead and come up with some kind of 'second chance program' for past hackers, I do believe this thread was a tremendous success.

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score
I'd agree to this to a certain extent. I haven't read other's comments as it's pretty long and well, it's late right now and I just want to post my view on this.

I mean, does your post just mean hackers, or anyone with any past ban. For example I had gained many bans, yes fairly I guess, for abuse and stuff, however I've changed a lot since them bans so yeah, that proves people change. Why just involve hackers, they're not the only ones who can change. I mean I'd never be able to be mod because of my past actions but any second chances would be nice to most people. Currently that's not possible, however I do agree that it should be possible and second chances should be issued.

When people get more into the community, they will want more out of the servers and the community. Basically when people first join a new server involving a community they've never been a part of then they may not care much about the community or the server and basically get a careless ban. However, when they realise they will be playing this server for a long time they will genuinely start to care more for the server/community and may like to become a mod to help out the community because they've noticed the amount of hackers or whatever reason. They'll instantly be rejected for having a past ban.

Just because they was banned before, doesn't mean they haven't changed/can't change, or can't do a good job because if anyone puts their mind to it, and genuinely wants to help the community by becoming a mod and reporting/banning hackers then I feel they should get given their second chance. If they fail that chance then I do believe they should get no more chances.

Overall;
I would like to see the policies changed to consider members who have previous bans who evidently has changed for the better and genuinely wants to help out the servers as this will help out the server overall by removing hackers which may encourage new members to stay here longer. Then for the current community, more moderators would mean a lot less hackers keeping all current and new members of the community happy and providing them with a good experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci