• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Block Hitting 101

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
Blockhitting has been around MCSG since the beginning. People know that block hitting reduces the damage given, but still attacks with full damage so it is used very popularly. But, thats not all the advantages from block hitting. When you block hit, your knock back is reduced greatly. Try it. Block with your sword and get hit. You will get little to no knock back from the damage given. The hack "No Knockback" is very effective because obviously you receive no knockback allowing you to strafe and attack much easier. Its the same concept with block hitting. You are taking little to no knock back and still attacking with full force!

This is why some people get crazy combos while block hitting! If you block hit, you have probably have gotten amazing combos with just the sword! Now, when you block hit, sneak as well. This will ensure that you will take very minimal knockback and still attack with full force! But this reduces your mobility drastically so thats why there is even more to add.

What I've told you so far makes block hitting like a tank. Moving slow, but has amazing defense. You are very prone to strafing and flint and steel, so this is why I will show you something to add to the block hitting sneak. While block hitting and sneaking, employ your fishing rod. Your fingers are already clicking the right click furiously so just hot keying to your fishing rod takes less than a second. This gives your opponent the fishing rod stun creating insane combos. I have gotten a 4 hit combo using this tactic so I decided to share with you.

Thank you for reading! Remember, I'm always open to constructive criticism, so tell me if you think this is stupid or cool!

Tietan
The Adorable Fox

Last edited:

Cimmy

Diamond
Reaction score
Sorry to smack ya face, but block hitting doesn't work anymore. At least, not in 1.8. Soz m9

GoldenWave

Career
Reaction score
Sorry to smack ya face, but block hitting doesn't work anymore. At least, not in 1.8. Soz m9
Lol it does, it's just a different (and ugly) animation, but it still works. Still i don't approve this thread because blockhitting is kinda cheap.

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
This was where I stopped reading. Please do some more research next time you post a thread like this :)
Thank you for your feedback! Though it may seem I don't know what I'm talking about, many people did use block hitting as opposed to strafing. Back in 1.6, strafing was a tad bit more difficult because we did not have a sprint key. Now we have a sprint key, strafing is a lot more easier. Before the sprint key, every time we time we hit someone, we stopped sprinting! This is why many people resorted to block hitting.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Blockhitting has another function as well, to act as a RSKH in order to get extra knockback
I will quote StanMPL here~
"This is stupid how much everyone relies on blockhitting. There are plenty of ways to get great knockback. To get great knockback all you need to do is interupt your sprint with something that stops you from sprinting like sneaking, taking your finger off forward key for a split second or pressing the s key. The only difference with these is that they are slightly harder to do than blockhitting and blockhitting stops you from hitting while you are blocking, so you cant accidentally get a non knockback hit on them. Personally if the rumors are true and blockhitting/hybrid blockhitting are removed. I will be sneakhitting to 8 block."
Hybrid blockhitting is much more effective^ Basically you swing and right click for half a second and it causes insane knockback
Schmockyyy explains in a video here-

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
Blockhitting has another function as well, to act as a RSKH in order to get extra knockback
"This is stupid how much everyone relies on blockhitting. There are plenty of ways to get great knockback. To get great knockback all you need to do is interupt your sprint with something that stops you from sprinting like sneaking, taking your finger off forward key for a split second or pressing the s key. The only difference with these is that they are slightly harder to do than blockhitting and blockhitting stops you from hitting while you are blocking, so you cant accidentally get a non knockback hit on them. Personally if the rumors are true and blockhitting/hybrid blockhitting are removed. I will be sneakhitting to 8 block."
Hybrid blockhitting is much more effective^ Basically you swing and right click for half a second and it causes insane knockback
Wow thanks for this tip! I never knew this! Also, in another thread where I talked about MCSG Jitter Clicking, you said that you came up with the idea first. I never knew that you came up with it, so I can give you credit if you want.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Wow thanks for this tip! I never knew this! Also, in another thread where I talked about MCSG Jitter Clicking, you said that you came up with the idea first. I never knew that you came up with it, so I can give you credit if you want.
That'll be greatly appreciated!
It was originally Exzanity's clicking method but I modified it to exactly what you are describing

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
While I don't believe anyone should ever be always blockhitting, I'm starting to see some value in starting combos with it as of recent. Given the way Minecraft combat has evolved over time as players learn its ins and outs more and more, I find it to be quite useful even in open spaces if you are the proper distance away from your opponent and the conditions are just right.

I never thought I'd say it, but I think block hitting is going to be required if you want to be one of the best players out there. (Of course assuming it doesn't completely change in 1.8 like people are saying.) The problem I still have with it is how people who block hit tend to overdo it and usually don't understand when it is and isn't proper. Though I've become accepting of its usefulness in open spaces, I must say you need to be very skilled to recognize the proper times to use it and the improper ones. The reason is simple, really: It's completely beneficial to block hit in certain situations, and in others you're just gimping yourself. These instances aren't as simple as I once thought they were, though, being more like "if the opponent is x distance and the state of knockback on both players in the fight is about y and z..."

In my honest opinion, block hitting is a technique that shouldn't really be practiced until you've got down and truly begun to understand how the pacing of melee combat already works. In my case, it took me quite a while before I really understood it.

In my personal opinion, (as someone who as never truly tried soup pvp but understands melee combat well.) I find teaching people techniques such as those in this video isn't really helping them. These ideas may be great, but they tend to work best at certain points in a fight, rather than being universally good. I feel better is to teach people to understand how the flow of combat works.
As someone who believes himself to be one of the better players out there, (yeah I know I'm cocky) I never learned to do any fancy gimmicks such as these, I just...do them. I don't need to think about doing a certain combination of buttons, I just know exactly which combination to do off my muscle memory of similar situations. By teaching players who don't really understand how the combat flows yet how to combo players like this, they will be too focused on making one particular combo possibility happen, such that when it's not viable against a certain player in that situation, they'll be in a tough position. I find it much better to just have a general understanding of combat in general by just...practicing. Through that, you'll learn what to do and when.

Thank you for your feedback! Though it may seem I don't know what I'm talking about, many people did use block hitting as opposed to strafing. Back in 1.6, strafing was a tad bit more difficult because we did not have a sprint key. Now we have a sprint key, strafing is a lot more easier. Before the sprint key, every time we time we hit someone, we stopped sprinting! This is why many people resorted to block hitting.
In MCSG's history, there has never been a ton of people blockhitting from what I recall. As an early adopter of using the fishing rod and a player before the sprint key, I have no recollection of a large amount of people block hitting. This may be true of other communities, but MCSG has never really had very many people block hitting.

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
While I don't believe anyone should ever be always blockhitting, I'm starting to see some value in starting combos with it as of recent. Given the way Minecraft combat has evolved over time as players learn its ins and outs more and more, I find it to be quite useful even in open spaces if you are the proper distance away from your opponent and the conditions are just right.

I never thought I'd say it, but I think block hitting is going to be required if you want to be one of the best players out there. (Of course assuming it doesn't completely change in 1.8 like people are saying.) The problem I still have with it is how people who block hit tend to overdo it and usually don't understand when it is and isn't proper. Though I've become accepting of its usefulness in open spaces, I must say you need to be very skilled to recognize the proper times to use it and the improper ones. The reason is simple, really: It's completely beneficial to block hit in certain situations, and in others you're just gimping yourself. These instances aren't as simple as I once thought they were, though, being more like "if the opponent is x distance and the state of knockback on both players in the fight is about y and z..."

In my honest opinion, block hitting is a technique that shouldn't really be practiced until you've got down and truly begun to understand how the pacing of melee combat already works. In my case, it took me quite a while before I really understood it.

In my personal opinion, (as someone who as never truly tried soup pvp but understands melee combat well.) I find teaching people techniques such as those in this video isn't really helping them. These ideas may be great, but they tend to work best at certain points in a fight, rather than being universally good. I feel better is to teach people to understand how the flow of combat works.
As someone who believes himself to be one of the better players out there, (yeah I know I'm cocky) I never learned to do any fancy gimmicks such as these, I just...do them. I don't need to think about doing a certain combination of buttons, I just know exactly which combination to do off my muscle memory of similar situations. By teaching players who don't really understand how the combat flows yet how to combo players like this, they will be too focused on making one particular combo possibility happen, such that when it's not viable against a certain player in that situation, they'll be in a tough position. I find it much better to just have a general understanding of combat in general by just...practicing. Through that, you'll learn what to do and when.

In MCSG's history, there has never been a ton of people blockhitting from what I recall. As an early adopter of using the fishing rod and a player before the sprint key, I have no recollection of a large amount of people block hitting. This may be true of other communities, but MCSG has never really had very many people block hitting.
Thank you for your feedback and opinion! I do agree that you can't just block hit, and perhaps I didn't specify that enough in my thread, but block hitting is very useful in many instances. I believe you should block hit when you combo the other person into the air. Once they are in the air, block hitting should be used to add that extra combo. After doing testing in Single Player, blockhitting registers the hit as twice. One block hit= two hits. That is another reason it can be so effective.

Perhaps I haven't been here as long as you, but I recall many people block hitting. In fact, most of the top players did block hit such as ThatOneTomahawk. Tomahawk was #2 in MCSG that was a frequent block hitter, and also a big youtuber. I believe that Tomahawk was an influence that made lots of people block hit. Remember, I was only in this community September 2013, so I can be wrong about the block hitters. Have a good day!

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback and opinion! I do agree that you can't just block hit, and perhaps I didn't specify that enough in my thread, but block hitting is very useful in many instances. I believe you should block hit when you combo the other person into the air. Once they are in the air, block hitting should be used to add that extra combo. After doing testing in Single Player, blockhitting registers the hit as twice. One block hit= two hits. That is another reason it can be so effective.

Perhaps I haven't been here as long as you, but I recall many people block hitting. In fact, most of the top players did block hit such as ThatOneTomahawk. Tomahawk was #2 in MCSG that was a frequent block hitter, and also a big youtuber. I believe that Tomahawk was an influence that made lots of people block hit. Remember, I was only in this community September 2013, so I can be wrong about the block hitters. Have a good day!
As a former top player that also played with the other top players, blockhitting was not something we did often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci