• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Adding in a /report command

Do you think some sort of /report should be added?

• Total voters

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
How about a command that doesn't necessarily alert all the mods, but it can alert all mods currently on servers. It can be a network-wide message sent to all staff using a command like /report or anything similar, and it can be used to say the server and what the problem is. It would appear like a chat message to the staff, and someone could go check out the situation without it being too much hassle for the staff (I think).

Turnip

District 13
Reaction score
I see a pro or two if this was to be added, but also a large amount of cons.
Pros: Easier for non-TS users and non-forumers to report hackers/spammers
Cons: Could be easily abused
Overuse- (Reporting every spam/all caps)
Since this would be heavily used, it would probably take a while for a staff to show up, since there would be so many reports. Its always possible that by the time the staff shows up, the server would have restarted/ the hacker/spammer was killed or left the server.

OnlyMathias

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
There is already a post about this but as i said in that one it will no doubt be abused but it is a good idea. Thats why you guys can always use the report abuse section as well as teamspeak if you need us to catch a hacker.

X920MikeyB

Tribute
Reaction score
My thoughts:

I searched for this because it's a good idea. There needs to be a "Report" command. - However, mods also need to be able to "Disguise" themselves and not stand out. - But, when disguised they should be purely in spec, not appear on the server list and not be able to interupt gameplay at all.

The /report fuction should be added so that players are able to /report [name] [reason]

For example; /report playerhacks123 hacking

This should send a report to all online mods and ranks a like. They should be able to then /attend [ticketnumber] - Each report will be numbered, they will have another command to see the reports, which can be paged. (Had a similar system for making tickets on a server I used to help mod)

The mods should then be teleported to the server/player and automatically stealthed. They should then watch the player, if caught hacking, deal with them.

Hope this or something similar gets implemented! As there's only so many we can catch with the current means, and my full-time recording :eek:

Regards,

X920MikeyB

- Anyone deliberaltely abusing the system, should be punished the same way - again, evidence will need to be gathered. For example; the mods should be able to leave a note if a hacker was caught or not. IE: Yes/No. If a player reporting gets say 5 "no's" they should be given a warning, to ensure they are 100% sure someone is hacking before they report them. If after another 5 no's in a row, or do it on a ratio. Then maybe a temporary 24 hour ban. Just it will need to be thought out so that it can't be abused by morons, and innocent players reporting, wont be banned/punished for trying to help, if on some occasions the hackers aren't caught once the report is sent. -

gcb99

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I am too lazy to read everything here ^^
I actually like the idea but there is one fact which makes this suggestions really bad (imo)

Im getting called every second/third game called Hacker...
Sometimes nearly the whole chat acuses me of hacking (which I apparently dont do!)
And then maybe 5 people would report me for hacking...
Mods might waste there time at me or be really annyoed by all those alerts they get...
There would be 50% maybe more false reports and Guys probs just reported them because they rage and stuff...

Just get on TS and poke a Mod with "come to eu1337 because there is a hacker named LeafyGreenTea please"
Thats not to big of a deal and I think TS doesnt make your PC laggy ;)

X920MikeyB

Tribute
Reaction score
I am too lazy to read everything here ^^
I actually like the idea but there is one fact which makes this suggestions really bad (imo)

Im getting called every second/third game called Hacker...
Sometimes nearly the whole chat acuses me of hacking (which I apparently dont do!)
And then maybe 5 people would report me for hacking...
Mods might waste there time at me or be really annyoed by all those alerts they get...
There would be 50% maybe more false reports and Guys probs just reported them because they rage and stuff...

Just get on TS and poke a Mod with "come to eu1337 because there is a hacker named LeafyGreenTea please"
Thats not to big of a deal and I think TS doesnt make your PC laggy ;)
Yeah I understand people are trigger happy to acuse someone of hacking. I realise it would put more strain on mods, however something needs to be inplace to help tackle the hackers. Also anyone falsely acusing and proved to be, should be punished. It's a hard system to implement to keep it fair for legit players and those abusing the system.

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
False reports would be at an all time high.
Recording the hacker is the best sollution imo.

Reaction score
I'd love it, but at the same time it would be very abusive. The person may not be a hacker at all, and the mods would waste their time. They would need evidence aswell, they wouldn't ban some random person with no evidence. That would make up a BAD mod.

X920MikeyB

Tribute
Reaction score
Well the whole idea of mine was to have the report send to online mods, so they could obtain the evidence themself. But yeah a lot of room for abuse :s but with one great feature comes hinderance. It's whether or not it's worth it?

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You could do it where if multiple people report the same person, then the mod gets involved. If just 1 person reports it, then the message wouldn't go through.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
Not to stomp on the idea or anything, but I see way too many cons to this. The idea is to get the attention of mods to observe hackers or rule-breakers in general whilst in-game, but there are a superlative number of reasons as to why this wouldn't one.

It's undeniable that the /report command would be highly abused by players and it would (under many instances) also be falsely used; good players would constantly get reported by those that are less experienced are just not as skilful and this would cause a spam in the /report command itself.

Although the goal is to get mods into the server and to examine the suspected offender, they would never get to them; MCSG supports over 100,000 players and looking at our first argument, we can see that this command would be used far too much. There is no way that staff are going to be able to reach every single one of these and watch the rule-breakers, especially since the command would be abused a lot. This'll cause any staff that actually ARE online to dedicate all their time to watching hackers and none to actually enjoying the game; majority of these would be a waste of time, seeing as killing a player with terrible gear usually results in the killer to be a 'haker'.

Instead of creating a command that will almost definitely not work on the servers, users need to be encouraged to go on the forums and get involved with community actions. Majority of the bans that staff deliver are from the Report Abuse section; it's our responsibility as players to try to keep this a clean and fun game as well. Staff members are already constantly overworked. We can't be lazy about it and then staff blaming the staff and claiming that it's their fault that there are 'so many more hackers omg'.

All in all, we can see that the idea itself just isn't going to work very well due to a colossal amount of cons and just not enough pros; the system that we have right now is working better for us and the use of such a system needs to be encouraged and advertised throughout our community in-game. Perhaps we can develop other ways of dealing with offenders, but it looks like Report Abuse is the way to go for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci