• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why do people view Minecraft as a child's game?

LittleKisses

Quantum
Reaction score
Back in 2012 my younger brother asked me to play 'minecraft' with him, I took one look at it and said erm Hell no! the graphics are crap and it's all square and stuff, looks like it's for 5 year olds. He persisted to the point where I tried it to shut him up.... and the rest is history still love it 3 years later. Primarily I got into the building side of things, branching out eventually into making spawns for friends servers and then large public servers, meeting so many wonderful people along the way :) I believe minecraft is a game for any age to enjoy, you shouldn't worry about what people think, I always say try it before you judge it and usually anyone I've showed the game to, get addicted to it pretty quickly ;)

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's because of these freaking books every time people walk into Target.

I think Mojang and other companies want this game to be for kids, even if teenagers play it just as much. Heck, if companies in America knew that a lot of teens played Minecraft, we'd have Mojang being paid to code in alcohol, cigarettes, and more.

JusticeDog

Experienced
Reaction score
I was in a counter strike game and when the topic of minecraft came up and I asked why they shunned it, they mentioned how the community was childish and toxic. I cannot really disagree.
Although you may look around mcgamer and say how a majority of the scene can be mature, minecraft as a whole attracts a younger audience and this younger audience is what the public eye sees, e.g. SkyDoesMinecraft and stampylonghead

Girls

Platinum
Reaction score
Honestly, I think people who view it as a childs game only see children acting childish on it. If someone only knew of MCSG and it's community, I don't think they would call it a game for kids only.

Zexful

Tribute
Reaction score
It's because although the largest people broadcasting their YouTube channels with Minecraft, there is a larger ratio of channels on YouTube with children ages 7-12 making pointless videos with it.

plimpy41

Platinum
Reaction score
Maybe they feel it's too complicated for them and instead of saying that outright, they just criticize it. Or maybe they go with what they think is popular social opinion.

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
That one term people use "why are you mad it's just a block game" says quite a lot about it.

Gataraid

Platinum
Reaction score
cuz when you go on its a bunch of 9 year olds screaming through a microphone

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
I feel Minecraft is a game of all age's, but the view on Minecraft was set by 11 year olds who play Survival, watch SkyDoesMinecraft, and think some guy screaming on the internet is funny. I personally feel Minecraft as a strategy game. But hey, no one minds I play cs-go.
Minecraft is able to mean many things to many different people, large Youtubers like Sky are focusing it on one meaning, a platform for kids to enjoy, which isn't the best thing if you want Minecraft for long term.

Most likely people think of Minecraft as another version of legos which usually kids play right? They say it is a block game which is entirely true but after saying that, they immediately compare it to legos which makes their opinion of it, a block game. The reason why people don't consider CS:GO is most likely because there is actual blood/violence in the game which most people depict is as a teen/mature game.
The thing is though, Minecraft is able to be just as mature with blocks, and that's another reason why it's so good.

But they seriously haven't applied their brain.
Seriously.
A block game, that is able to stimulate mind growth.

Cod is more related to real world, since there are insane dictators and the United States who are war hungry. And I read something where marines can play COD strategically to practice their skills on the battlefield. But 40 year old men have no benefit from playing COD.
Indeed! I guess video games in general always have their benefits, just that some people can't see them/use them properly/what they're meant to be.

And you basically answered your question yourself, people don't realize what Minecraft can really be about once you get into it and start playing on servers and getting really into the incredible PvP experience it surprisingly offers.
You can really put your mind to all these statistics and timing things, that probably stimulates your mind doesn't it?

When I tell my friend who plays gta on 360/one I play minecraft he says its a kids game :(
Same for me too man.

Indeed! But that younger category is growing, because Mojang is changing Minecraft in that direction.

It's because of these freaking books every time people walk into Target.

I think Mojang and other companies want this game to be for kids, even if teenagers play it just as much. Heck, if companies in America knew that a lot of teens played Minecraft, we'd have Mojang being paid to code in alcohol, cigarettes, and more.
If those are legit books that would be hilarious…but honestly, Minecraft shouldn't just be geared to anyone, the best games can draw in players from anywhere, at any age.

Honestly, I think people who view it as a childs game only see children acting childish on it. If someone only knew of MCSG and it's community, I don't think they would call it a game for kids only.
Because the childish part of Minecraft is growing, that's all that people focus on now.

It's because although the largest people broadcasting their YouTube channels with Minecraft, there is a larger ratio of channels on YouTube with children ages 7-12 making pointless videos with it.
Indeed, mostly because those kids want to be like who they're watching, millions of subs, views, e.t.c.

Same thing man, I wont say a word because people criticize to damn much.
Exactly, which is why Minecraft is like a outcast of games because people try to find bad things about it, when the things they call out us for lacking aren't even things that makes games good.

Maybe they feel it's too complicated for them and instead of saying that outright, they just criticize it. Or maybe they go with what they think is popular social opinion.
Nowadays, it's hard to stray from the norm, much harder than when Minecraft came out, it's like we're stuck.

That one term people use "why are you mad it's just a block game" says quite a lot about it.
Indeed, it's just a block game. But other games are 'just games' as well, doesn't just apply to a game of blocks. And the reverse is true, just because it's a gun game doesn't automatically mean it's the worst thing in the world.

This topic has really gotten my brain churning on the topic of the child-like status of Minecraft. And who can blame the people who say it is?

It is indeed a block game, kids play it and make videos on it, humongous youtubers make videos especially geared to humor the younger crowd, and even Mojang, seems to be going in that direction.

But I say to all that, no, Minecraft is not a children's game……

not yet.

When Minecraft first came out, the internet was smaller and stereotypes much less common, making money from the internet was pretty much unheard of with gaming, so anything could go.

Then Notch created the 'masterpiece' of Minecraft. I call it that because it isn't just geared to one audience, one genre. Minecraft could mean, well, ANYTHING to ANYONE, ANYAGE. That's the reason why it's so popular and so successful.

Then kids come into the picture, and stereotypes, and large Youtubers. They saw Minecraft as one thing, whatever that was, it matched up to basically bring Minecraft on a downhill, from what it was meant to be, anything.

The fact that a large percentage of the Minecraft population are kids, and that many very large youtubers are mostly geared to the younger crowd, and the fact that Minecraft is 'just-a-block-game' all masks the game's true identity.

Even Mojang is gearing it to, not everything, it's becoming a spiraling tycoon of sorts, that now, even this early down the slope, is already losing some people.

Mojang is making Minecraft more like an exciting adventure, something that a kid might like, and it's leaving the ideal of it being able to be and is anything.

But, as I said before, Minecraft can be anything.

Look at PvP, people have developed tons and tons of strategies for, yes, ANY situation, anything, because Minecraft is anything, people, us, we, can make it anything.

Look at building, people have built everything in Minecraft, ships, planes, forests, buildings, maps that people can play on.

Is all this sounding familiar to you?

Yes, because that is what all other games are capable of having, a wide diverse community that's able to do anything if they truly put their mind and creativity to. It isn't a mindless walk-around. It's truly a work of art.

These masks, they decieve our, and Mojang's view of Minecraft, that's why it's going downhill, if we could see what it's really best at, the game would be so much more respected and amazing.

It's not for kids, it's up, for anyone.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
But I say to all that, no, Minecraft is not a children's game……

not yet.

When Minecraft first came out, the internet was smaller and stereotypes much less common, making money from the internet was pretty much unheard of with gaming, so anything could go.

Then Notch created the 'masterpiece' of Minecraft. I call it that because it isn't just geared to one audience, one genre. Minecraft could mean, well, ANYTHING to ANYONE, ANYAGE. That's the reason why it's so popular and so successful.

Then kids come into the picture, and stereotypes, and large Youtubers. They saw Minecraft as one thing, whatever that was, it matched up to basically bring Minecraft on a downhill, from what it was meant to be, anything.

The fact that a large percentage of the Minecraft population are kids, and that many very large youtubers are mostly geared to the younger crowd, and the fact that Minecraft is 'just-a-block-game' all masks the game's true identity.

Even Mojang is gearing it to, not everything, it's becoming a spiraling tycoon of sorts, that now, even this early down the slope, is already losing some people.

Mojang is making Minecraft more like an exciting adventure, something that a kid might like, and it's leaving the ideal of it being able to be and is anything.

But, as I said before, Minecraft can be anything.

Look at PvP, people have developed tons and tons of strategies for, yes, ANY situation, anything, because Minecraft is anything, people, us, we, can make it anything.

Look at building, people have built everything in Minecraft, ships, planes, forests, buildings, maps that people can play on.

Is all this sounding familiar to you?

Yes, because that is what all other games are capable of having, a wide diverse community that's able to do anything if they truly put their mind and creativity to. It isn't a mindless walk-around. It's truly a work of art.

These masks, they decieve our, and Mojang's view of Minecraft, that's why it's going downhill, if we could see what it's really best at, the game would be so much more respected and amazing.

It's not for kids, it's up, for anyone.
10/10 post right here lmao. I completely agree with everything that was said right here. Minecraft can be anything.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Cod is more related to real world, since there are insane dictators and the United States who are war hungry.
I don't really think the U.S. is war hungry. We stayed out of both world wars until the second half, and considering we're a superpower, that's a big deal. Now the problem with us is that we get into business that isn't ours, creating the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the Iraqi Civil War, and...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci