• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The State of AU

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Hello everybody! As you can see from the title, I want to get to know the community's opinion on the state of AU and if it does have a hacker problem. The reason behind this is that recently we have been promoting the EU and US clean sweeps and people had come to me asking if there is going to be an AU one. I wondered if we needed one for AU if we actually did have a hacker problem. So, community. What's your thoughts?

EDIT: Still open for comments about the hackers, but looking through the comments I begin to see that people are not amused by the state of the AU community, feel free to add your comments on this below.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
Hackers ain't the problem with AU, it is the community.
Hmm, that's an interesting point. But I'll leave you with this:
When we complain about a society, we often forget that we are society

Now, this isn't to say that we aren't going to help, the ideology of that quotation is to emphasise the fact that we can't change people's mentality and manners. If people are going to be rude or abusive, the most we can do is warrant appropriate punishments. Sometimes punishments can change people, sometimes they can't. The point being is that a community needs to stick up for one another. We can't change a community, the community must improve on itself. My way thinking in this is the simple thing we all learnt in preschool, treat others how you want to be treated. Unfortunately not everyone gets that. But rest assured we are trying our best to remove those pesky abusive users.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Although I haven't been to the AU servers before, I have heard some claims of a little bit of abuse going around, don't take my word for it. c:
But I haven't heard of many hackers within the AU servers.
And to be entirely honest, I would definitely recommend a clean sweep for all the regions, it's like cleaning a class cup. And also it ensures more safety for the users that are concerned, as they would know that a clean sweep had been done in all servers. :)

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Hmm, that's an interesting point. But I'll leave you with this:
When we complain about a society, we often forget that we are society

Now, this isn't to say that we aren't going to help, the ideology of that quotation is to emphasise the fact that we can't change people's mentality and manners. If people are going to be rude or abusive, the most we can do is warrant appropriate punishments. Sometimes punishments can change people, sometimes they can't. The point being is that a community needs to stick up for one another. We can't change a community, the community must improve on itself. My way thinking in this is the simple thing we all learnt in preschool, treat others how you want to be treated. Unfortunately not everyone gets that. But rest assured we are trying our best to remove those pesky abusive users.
I know this is kind of a strange thing to say, but I've found that there are ways to change a community beyond yourself without simply getting rid of people you don't like. The politics of a massive community are very hard to understand, but there are things the staff can do to reduce hackers and rule breakers without going out and manually banning all of them.

The reason I say this is that hackers have increased dramatically in EU in the past year, yet nobody knows why. Nobody has even asked why. We are so pathetically stuck in the heart of the problem that nobody has thought of any solutions besides things like cleansweeps. And the why... Forget that. We've asked how to solve a problem before asking why the problem is there in the first place, which is a huge mistake when it comes to any new problem. I tried to come up with some possible explanations in a thread about EU hackers a couple weeks ago, but nobody could imagine why hackers would increase so much without explanation. Nobody other than me even attempted to explain why EU has more hackers than the US, other than the fact they have less moderators. Clearly, there are psychological forces at work here. Somehow, whether because of things MCGamer has done or because of forces across the internet, Youtubers, and the globe, hackers have increased drastically. This is despite the addition of several anti-cheat plugins in the past year, as well as vast improvement to the servers and growth in the staff team.

If we can somehow pinpoint what meta-forces are at work across the population of MCGamer to cause these problems, then we can potentially decimate hacker problems, something that can never happen by simply being a good example and going around banning everyone. These meta-forces are similar to what Malcolm Gladwell has outlined in his famous novel The Tipping Point.

One example of a meta-force is the Broken Window Theory, which states that whenever a small problem goes unnoticed in a large community, such as a simple broken window on a busy street, then passers by will see the problem and grow disenchanted with the quality of the city's maintenance and quality, and will then intentionally create more problems, such as graffiti, to bring attention to the problem. If the city continues to neglect such issues, then vandalism grows to severe levels. Therefore, a small show of care for the community, such a stat reset, could reduce attention-seeking hackers. If the community shows signs of progress, then people will take it more seriously and break less rules. A sense of belonging will discourage a user from wanting to break rules.

The broken window theory is especially apparent when comparing hacker levels in the US versus EU servers. They have the same maps and setting, but the EU servers are less populated. (though it is worth noting that EU has a smaller proportion of players compared to US than it used to) EU also lacks moderators, unlike the US, which typically has at least one or two moderators in hub 8. It may not necessarily be the moderators themselves going around banning people that reduces hackers, but often times their mere presence.

(Feel free to argue with me about this-I'd like a debate. I could be wrong entirely, in which case the fact is that more US moderators ban more hackers, which causes less hackers to be spread out across more servers. This is a simple explanation, so beware! History is never simple. :))

Other meta-forces at work that could cause increases in rule breakers could also be the increasing competitiveness of the servers in general. MCSG v2 in particular has been very competitive, with a wide margin of players knowing how to PvP effectively, causing beginners to feel like they need to hack in order to win.

The rise in Youtubers could also contribute to rule breakers, since many players want to have excellent ratios like them, and may feel compelled to cause drama in order to get attention that their favorite Youtubers often receive. You can't deny that Youtubers have also contributed to a competitive atmosphere in the game. In particular, the rise in the type of Youtuber who is excellent at PvP, commentates regularly, and makes montages, has contributed to a lot of rule breakers, despite not being rulebreakers themselves. This type of Youtuber also typically talks a lot about causes of death, which often includes hackers, teams, etc... This widespread knowledge about hackers and teams may actually encourage people to do exactly that, simply for the sake of understanding what it is like to team a lot or hack. Indeed, in beta many players even knew what hacking meant, but the widespread knowledge about what hacking is and how to do it has probably encouraged a lot of people to do exactly that.

Then there is also the effect in which telling a group of people not to do something actually encourages to do it. I don't know what the technical name for it is, but I call it the "big red button" effect. If you tell a small child not to press a big red button, then you are actually increasing their chances of doing exactly that. Curiosity kicks in. Rebellious users see this as a way to pay back injustices. One of my favorite quotes of all time is "The opposite of poverty is not wealth, the opposite of poverty is justice." -Unknown It applies to the situation more than you might think. Perhaps instead of telling people not to hack, abuse people, and make inappropriate skins, we need to simply state the rules and do no more. We should encourage forumers to avoid talking about such subjects. In fact, I can think of a few other things MCGamer could do right now to possibly help with these problems.
  • Delete threads that complain about teams, hackers, and drama. Users who read about such incidents will, as explained in the above paragraph, undoubtedly feel compelled to do so as a result of rebellion and curiosity. This is probably going to be seen as some violation of some right to freedom of speech on the forums... That has actually never existed haha.
  • Make improvements to the servers that show that we do care. (Sounds like MCGv2, doesn't it? Yay!)
  • Keep at least one moderator in hub 8 in every region if we can.
  • Encourage Youtubers to be less competitive.
  • Increase the amount of moderators. Perhaps we could add some perks or change the duties of moderators to make the job more appealing. Being a little looser in the amount of activity expected for current moderators could also help us retain moderators.
Now please, debate!
-BitoBain

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
I really like this idea. Usually AU is left in the mist with all the hacker problems and large teams in EU and US. Anyway on with the point lets discuss problems with AU.

(Note any mention I make about my past experiences with mods on this thread is not a stab at the staff team just merely talking about past experiences).
The clan scene is absolutely horrible, coming down to losses of d'dosing or alternate accounts being abused to target the enemy clan of corn and throughout the entire game which has ruined the whole fun aspect of clan wars and all about getting wins no matter the cost. Maybe you might be lucky and get a clan that obeys the rules and you end up winning that game. they will complain hours on end saying they never lost because we were breaking the rules when it was just a clean win. After all of this in the end of spending about 2 hours trying to get them to out up their loss (and yes this happens a lot One time I spent 6 hours on a clan battle staying up to 12:00 am trying to convince that they lost with them just saying the entire battle is a redo). Even with mods involved a clan battle some can make very little impact. I've seen mods just say put up your loss and we never see them again. The clan that has lost just continues on with the arguement until after spending so much of your spare time arguing over clan battles you can't be bothered to continue. This has been a problem for about a year now and it needs a change. Maybe for a change we could have assigned referees and they don't have to be moderators (I have ref'd a few clan battles myself to stop arguments and wouldn't mind to do more). I'm sure there are plenty of other respected members of the community wouldn't mind spending time out of their lives to make the AU clan scene a little bit better. Anyway it's all up to you to decide where the AU clan scene goes.

The community isn't that amazing but it's not the worst. Maybe it's just me but I see less trash talking and rudeness than I used to, however there are individuals that bypass the rules in sneaky ways to say stuff that's only warn able (hello Dusky). I don't even get me started with Skype, but I won't since the staff have no control over third party systems and should stay that way. This also go's along with clans as this trash talking I see a lot during clan battles. However you can't have as much control over that as you stated before it is the community's fault however it's more people that aren't really apart of the community (people that were here just causing problems if that makes any sense) making a negative impact on the younger apart of the community (I'll go into more detail about the AU community once I get on my computer I still have a lot to add so bare with me).

Nick

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a strange thing to say, but I've found that there are ways to change a community beyond yourself without simply getting rid of people you don't like. The politics of a massive community are very hard to understand, but there are things the staff can do to reduce hackers and rule breakers without going out and manually banning all of them.

The reason I say this is that hackers have increased dramatically in EU in the past year, yet nobody knows why. Nobody has even asked why. We are so pathetically stuck in the heart of the problem that nobody has thought of any solutions besides things like cleansweeps. And the why... Forget that. We've asked how to solve a problem before asking why the problem is there in the first place, which is a huge mistake when it comes to any new problem. I tried to come up with some possible explanations in a thread about EU hackers a couple weeks ago, but nobody could imagine why hackers would increase so much without explanation. Nobody other than me even attempted to explain why EU has more hackers than the US, other than the fact they have less moderators. Clearly, there are psychological forces at work here. Somehow, whether because of things MCGamer has done or because of forces across the internet, Youtubers, and the globe, hackers have increased drastically. This is despite the addition of several anti-cheat plugins in the past year, as well as vast improvement to the servers and growth in the staff team.

If we can somehow pinpoint what meta-forces are at work across the population of MCGamer to cause these problems, then we can potentially decimate hacker problems, something that can never happen by simply being a good example and going around banning everyone. These meta-forces are similar to what Malcolm Gladwell has outlined in his famous novel The Tipping Point.

One example of a meta-force is the Broken Window Theory, which states that whenever a small problem goes unnoticed in a large community, such as a simple broken window on a busy street, then passers by will see the problem and grow disenchanted with the quality of the city's maintenance and quality, and will then intentionally create more problems, such as graffiti, to bring attention to the problem. If the city continues to neglect such issues, then vandalism grows to severe levels. Therefore, a small show of care for the community, such a stat reset, could reduce attention-seeking hackers. If the community shows signs of progress, then people will take it more seriously and break less rules. A sense of belonging will discourage a user from wanting to break rules.

The broken window theory is especially apparent when comparing hacker levels in the US versus EU servers. They have the same maps and setting, but the EU servers are less populated. (though it is worth noting that EU has a smaller proportion of players compared to US than it used to) EU also lacks moderators, unlike the US, which typically has at least one or two moderators in hub 8. It may not necessarily be the moderators themselves going around banning people that reduces hackers, but often times their mere presence.

(Feel free to argue with me about this-I'd like a debate. I could be wrong entirely, in which case the fact is that more US moderators ban more hackers, which causes less hackers to be spread out across more servers. This is a simple explanation, so beware! History is never simple. :))

Other meta-forces at work that could cause increases in rule breakers could also be the increasing competitiveness of the servers in general. MCSG v2 in particular has been very competitive, with a wide margin of players knowing how to PvP effectively, causing beginners to feel like they need to hack in order to win.

The rise in Youtubers could also contribute to rule breakers, since many players want to have excellent ratios like them, and may feel compelled to cause drama in order to get attention that their favorite Youtubers often receive. You can't deny that Youtubers have also contributed to a competitive atmosphere in the game. In particular, the rise in the type of Youtuber who is excellent at PvP, commentates regularly, and makes montages, has contributed to a lot of rule breakers, despite not being rulebreakers themselves. This type of Youtuber also typically talks a lot about causes of death, which often includes hackers, teams, etc... This widespread knowledge about hackers and teams may actually encourage people to do exactly that, simply for the sake of understanding what it is like to team a lot or hack. Indeed, in beta many players even knew what hacking meant, but the widespread knowledge about what hacking is and how to do it has probably encouraged a lot of people to do exactly that.

Then there is also the effect in which telling a group of people not to do something actually encourages to do it. I don't know what the technical name for it is, but I call it the "big red button" effect. If you tell a small child not to press a big red button, then you are actually increasing their chances of doing exactly that. Curiosity kicks in. Rebellious users see this as a way to pay back injustices. One of my favorite quotes of all time is "The opposite of poverty is not wealth, the opposite of poverty is justice." -Unknown It applies to the situation more than you might think. Perhaps instead of telling people not to hack, abuse people, and make inappropriate skins, we need to simply state the rules and do no more. We should encourage forumers to avoid talking about such subjects. In fact, I can think of a few other things MCGamer could do right now to possibly help with these problems.
  • Delete threads that complain about teams, hackers, and drama. Users who read about such incidents will, as explained in the above paragraph, undoubtedly feel compelled to do so as a result of rebellion and curiosity. This is probably going to be seen as some violation of some right to freedom of speech on the forums... That has actually never existed haha.
  • Make improvements to the servers that show that we do care. (Sounds like MCGv2, doesn't it? Yay!)
  • Keep at least one moderator in hub 8 in every region if we can.
  • Encourage Youtubers to be less competitive.
  • Increase the amount of moderators. Perhaps we could add some perks or change the duties of moderators to make the job more appealing. Being a little looser in the amount of activity expected for current moderators could also help us retain moderators.
Now please, debate!
-BitoBain
I must say I am very impressed with this. We need more community members to raise issues like this, not petitions, whining, or causing mass demonstrations. I admittedly haven't read through this entirely as I'm at school, once I'm home I'll go through it and provide my comments on the matter.
I really like this idea. Usually AU is left in the mist with all the hacker problems and large teams in EU and US. Anyway on with the point lets discuss problems with AU.

(Note any mention I make about my past experiences with mods on this thread is not a stab at the staff team just merely talking about past experiences).
The clan scene is absolutely horrible, coming down to losses of d'dosing or alternate accounts being abused to target the enemy clan of corn and throughout the entire game which has ruined the whole fun aspect of clan wars and all about getting wins no matter the cost. Maybe you might be lucky and get a clan that obeys the rules and you end up winning that game. they will complain hours on end saying they never lost because we were breaking the rules when it was just a clean win. After all of this in the end of spending about 2 hours trying to get them to out up their loss (and yes this happens a lot One time I spent 6 hours on a clan battle staying up to 12:00 am trying to convince that they lost with them just saying the entire battle is a redo). Even with mods involved a clan battle some can make very little impact. I've seen mods just say put up your loss and we never see them again. The clan that has lost just continues on with the arguement until after spending so much of your spare time arguing over clan battles you can't be bothered to continue. This has been a problem for about a year now and it needs a change. Maybe for a change we could have assigned referees and they don't have to be moderators (I have ref'd a few clan battles myself to stop arguments and wouldn't mind to do more). I'm sure there are plenty of other respected members of the community wouldn't mind spending time out of their lives to make the AU clan scene a little bit better. Anyway it's all up to you to decide where the AU clan scene goes.

The community isn't that amazing but it's not the worst. Maybe it's just me but I see less trash talking and rudeness than I used to, however there are individuals that bypass the rules in sneaky ways to say stuff that's only warn able (hello Dusky). I don't even get me started with Skype, but I won't since the staff have no control over third party systems and should stay that way. This also go's along with clans as this trash talking I see a lot during clan battles. However you can't have as much control over that as you stated before it is the community's fault however it's more people that aren't really apart of the community (people that were here just causing problems if that makes any sense) making a negative impact on the younger apart of the community (I'll go into more detail about the AU community once I get on my computer I still have a lot to add so bare with me).
Myself, Col_Star and CAmadeusA are working on the clan matter. We want to incorporate the help from the community but we do have to go through a tedious process first as, of course, community members aren't staff and we can't technically 'fire' them if they attempt to do something to break the rules. It's still a WIP.

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If I'm honest, the overruling impression people get of AU is quite an abusive and crude community. You'd have to actually play AU a lot to understand that while these two statements are true, they're only true to a certain extent.

tl;dr play AU and you'll understand it isn't as bad as it seems

Hackers have been spiking sporadically lately on AU, usually reaching peak around weekend afternoons. This can happen during the week too, but as stated before, it's a bit sporadic.

Reaction score
To be honest, AU is not even that bad. There's not many winfarmers, just because it's too hard on AU and the amount of teams and hackers is not crazy.

However, the attitude of some of the players is just really bad. They will ask to team, immediately betray and say gg10rekt, without a single afterthought on their part. This, for one, needs to stop.

Clans completely dramatized a lot of MCSG, with people in clans all ganging up on one person, fisting them off corn, etc. People just DDoS and get alts to win CB's and will do anything to try not to lose. With all this drama in the clans comes some pretty ticked off people doing some not-so-nice things and calling others names they might regret later in front of the whole impressionable audience of MCSG.

So basically it's the people :/

EDIT: The authorised clans seems like a better idea now. I just went on the new posts, and there were 8 AU Clan pages out of 20 results.

Last edited:

ViolentKitten

Platinum
Reaction score
In my opinion, hackers are not the most prominent issue in AU. For those that frequent the region, they would be well aware of the abusive plague that runs rampant.

I'm on my phone and can't write a huge amount but something like an 'Abuse Patrol' where disguised mods enter a server and moderate the chat, pulling people up for abuse etc. would be sufficient.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci