• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The different hotbar setups for the different styled player.

Did this give you possibly a new hotbar setup to try out?

• Total voters

Otto

Diamond
Reaction score
Wow! Has it been a looong time since I made a thread here!

But to the point, many players still have trouble finding a hotbar setup that suites THEM. Sure, there are threads where you can post your own setup, but this thread will help you find the one that suites your specific play style.

First you'll need to identify what kind of play-style you have. If you don't know, then you can just ask a friend. And if you decide you don't have one, then you pick from the selection of hotbar setups that don't necessarily have a "play-style" assigned to them.

Note: I have used about 75% of these setups at different times, and ALL of them I have seen being used.

Setups that aren't assigned to a play-style

Huahwi Setup:
1. Sword
2. FnS
3. Rod
4. Bow
5. FnS
6. FnS
7. Gapple
8. Food
9. Arrows

Original Setup:
1. Sword
2. Bow
3. FnS
4. FnS
5. Rod
6. Gapple
7. Food
8. Food
9. Arrows

Scroller Setup #1:
1. Sword
2. FnS
3. Arrows
4. Bow
5. Gapple
6. High Sat. Food
6. Low Sat. Food
7. FnS
8. Boat
9. Rod

Scroller Setup #2:
1. Sword
2. Rod
3. Bow
4. FnS
5. Food
6. Food
7. Boat
8. Arrows
9. FnS

Hotkey Setup:
1. Sword
2. FnS
3. Bow
4. Rod
5. FnS
6. Gapple
7. High Sat. Food
8. Low Sat. Food
9. Arrows/Boat

Setups that do have a specific play-style

Offensive Setup #1:
1. Sword
2. Rod
3. Bow
4. FnS
5. Gapple
6. Food
7. Food
8. Arrows
9. FnS

Offensive Setup #2:
1. Sword
2. FnS
3. FnS
4. Rod
5. Bow
6. Arrows
7. Boat
8. Food
9. Food

Tactical Setup #1:
1. Bow
2. Sword
3. Rod
4. FnS
5. FnS
6. Food
7. Food
8. Gapple
9. Boat

Tactical Setup #2:
1. Sword
2. Fake Weapon (I.e. Wooden axe)
3. Bow
4. Rod
5. FnS
6. Gapple
7. Food
8. Boat
9. Arrows

Defensive Setup #1
1. Bow
2. Sword
3. FnS
4. FnS
5. Gapple
6. High Sat. Food
7. Low Sat. Food
8. Boat
9. Rod

Defensive Setup #2:
1. Sword
2. Bow
3. FnS
4. Rod
5. Gapple
6. FnS
7. Food
8. Food
9. Arrows

Thanks for reading! I hope you may have found a new hotbar setup to try out sometime, and please, leave a like on this thread if it helped you out in any way!

Last edited:

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I'll post what I use as I don't think you have it on there. I guess you could label it as a scroller setup.
Zach's Setup:
1. Sword
2. Rod
3. Bow
4. FnS
5. Arrows
6. Food
7. Food
8. Gapple
9. FnS

Just as a tip if you use this setup, an good idea while running/fighting is to pretend to gapple, but scroll to the FnS and try to light them up.

Otto

Diamond
Reaction score
I'll post what I use as I don't think you have it on there. I guess you could label it as a scroller setup.
Zach's Setup:
1. Sword
2. Rod
3. Bow
4. FnS
5. Arrows
6. Food
7. Food
8. Gapple
9. FnS

Just as a tip if you use this setup, an good idea while running/fighting is to pretend to gapple, but scroll to the FnS and try to light them up.
Quite similar to "Offensive setup 1" but definitely unique!

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
My own setup really doesn't match with any of these 100%, but It's kind of a hybrid setup. I use a combination of scrolling and macros. I guess it just works for me because it's good with my Razer Naga. Heavily reliant on hitting 4 and 1 on the button grid.

1. Sword (Thumb Grid Macro Button)
2. Bow (Scroll from Sword to Bow)
3. Rod (Scroll from Bow to Rod)
4. F&S (Thumb Grid Macro Button)
5. Golden Apples
6. Wild Card (Ender Pearl, Boat, Decoy Weapon, F&S, Food) (Accessed either through Macros or Scroll)
7. Food
8. Food
9. Arrows

Edit: Just realized that this is a lot like the Defensive #2 setup XD

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
I hotkey to number 3 (rod) aswell, and number 1 (sword), but this is a helpful guide to new players! I'd suggest you to add pictures of the hotbar instead, although it takes some effort, but looks way better!

Also something that I wanted to add, is that I change my slots around, especially when I'm playing Hive, and thwre are so many secondaries to use, but it's good to switch them around, keeps you aware I guess you could say.
My own setup really doesn't match with any of these 100%, but It's kind of a hybrid setup. I use a combination of scrolling and macros. I guess it just works for me because it's good with my Razer Naga. Heavily reliant on hitting 4 and 1 on the button grid.

1. Sword (Thumb Grid Macro Button)
2. Bow (Scroll from Sword to Bow)
3. Rod (Scroll from Bow to Rod)
4. F&S (Thumb Grid Macro Button)
5. Golden Apples
6. Wild Card (Ender Pearl, Boat, Decoy Weapon, F&S, Food) (Accessed either through Macros or Scroll)
7. Food
8. Food
9. Arrows

Edit: Just realized that this is a lot like the Defensive #2 setup XD
Are macros allowed, I get called out for macros quite alot, but when I tell people that macros are allowed, people keep saying that they're not.. -_-

r i p

Quantum
Reaction score
This is my own setup c:
1. Sword
2. Rod
3. Bow
4. FnS
5. Gapple
6. Food
7. Food
8. Wild Card
9. FnS

Otto

Diamond
Reaction score
I hotkey to number 3 (rod) aswell, and number 1 (sword), but this is a helpful guide to new players! I'd suggest you to add pictures of the hotbar instead, although it takes some effort, but looks way better!

Also something that I wanted to add, is that I change my slots around, especially when I'm playing Hive, and thwre are so many secondaries to use, but it's good to switch them around, keeps you aware I guess you could say.

Are macros allowed, I get called out for macros quite alot, but when I tell people that macros are allowed, people keep saying that they're not.. -_-
Macro's are allowed for staff, check the rules ;P

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
XD That's where the "wild card" bit of my strategy comes in.
This can be answered better once we clarify that there are different definitions for macros.
1. The Hotkey Macro: This is when you bind one key or button to do exactly one action. Like for instance, making it so that a different button can be used to switch to a F&S. This is allowed on MCG. So long as your marco does exactly one action, and no more, it's fine.

2. The Command Macro: This is the type of macro that is not allowed. This is when you have one button that does multiple actions with only one button press. I'll use the example of the F&S from before. A macro to switch to your F&S is fine. A macro that just places down the F&S (clicks) is fine. However, a macro that allows you to both switch to F&S and place it down, all with just one button is not allowed. That's two actions with one button, hence illegal. Another example would be a macro that does 20 clicks whenever you hit the button just once. Definitely against the rules.

The Exception: The exception to this rule comes with what Otto said. Multi-action macros are allowed for staff. Technically. These multi-action macros can only be chat macros. For instance, something to quickly type in the chat to tell a user not to spam. Good for crowded hubs. No multi-task gameplay enhancing macros are allowed for anyone.

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
Macro's are allowed for staff, check the rules ;P
Couldn't find that rule, but it'd make no sense.
Edit:
XD That's where the "wild card" bit of my strategy comes in.

This can be answered better once we clarify that there are different definitions for macros.
1. The Hotkey Macro: This is when you bind one key or button to do exactly one action. Like for instance, making it so that a different button can be used to switch to a F&S. This is allowed on MCG. So long as your marco does exactly one action, and no more, it's fine.

2. The Command Macro: This is the type of macro that is not allowed. This is when you have one button that does multiple actions with only one button press. I'll use the example of the F&S from before. A macro to switch to your F&S is fine. A macro that just places down the F&S (clicks) is fine. However, a macro that allows you to both switch to F&S and place it down, all with just one button is not allowed. That's two actions with one button, hence illegal. Another example would be a macro that does 20 clicks whenever you hit the button just once. Definitely against the rules.

The Exception: The exception to this rule comes with what Otto said. Multi-action macros are allowed for staff. Technically. These multi-action macros can only be chat macros. For instance, something to quickly type in the chat to tell a user not to spam. Good for crowded hubs. No multi-task gameplay enhancing macros are allowed for anyone.
Ah yes, that makes more sense : - D D D

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My setup usually goes by this:
  1. wooden sword
  2. fishing rod
  3. boat (For escape reasons)
  4. Bow
  5. Flint and Steel
  6. food
  7. nothing