• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

"Survival Games" or "PvP Games"

_MK_

Career
Reaction score
I personally like the survival aspect of the Survival Games, I like PvEvP not PvP. More to the subject of why people liking shorter, fast paced games, the Survival Games have become a lot more competitive and people want to win more and shorter games are an easier way to gain wins. To me, I play SG to kill the time, not to be the best, so I like to go around the big maps, just roam around, explore the world of Minecraft and kill people every so often.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
As much as I love the adventure of big maps, remembering youtubers play hunger games, the faster paced game bring more sense of excitement knowing that you are going to get loot but you just have to get lucky and know where chests are. I still love playing big maps with friends but with MCSG changing into so much of a faster paced game than before, it makes it more interesting in my opinion.

I think the reason most people like small maps is because they can get all their loot and such like their full iron and what not but, when they go to classic, they don't get their full iron. This leaves them kind of like, "Well, I don't have anything so might as well play mcsg"

I still like both though. :)

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Personally big maps with more less chests are more about luck than skill. Since chests are so far apart, it is a lot of luck if you find the right stuff in a chest.

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
I feel a lot of people play the game for the thrill of PvP, with that slight aspect of having the strongest tactical chest routes. The reason I always come back to MCSG because being able to be within a community that has the strongest and most diverse group of PvPers is thrilling: you never know what kind of player you will come across. One fight, you will run into Thedorkyd1 a tactical bow user who will stay back and simply bow lock you, not risking hand in hand sword combat. The next, NinjaChicken23 will appear, a rod user who knows exactly the best angle to knock you back to optimize his combos. Running from him is impossible: he will always land his rod. After that, you meet Denster91 or kling234 a sword user who can nail the most perfect combos with simply the sword: a mix of critical hits and knock back combos. Finally, when you think you have figured out how to overcome PvPers who have mastered a single skill, you come across croe97 darkai202 and countless others, who adapt to the other players style: an offense sword user will be met with a well placed flint and steel, while a rod user will be kept at bay, while a bow does most of the work.

This is why I find MCSG entertaining, a blend of different styles of players and fighters. I feel this is lost when games go for too long and you miss the opportunity to see these types of players. Having small maps with a lot of chests means that players can meet each other with better gear, and that becomes less of a factor, and more so the tactics.

While large maps can be enjoyable, the PvP is diminished. A lot of players find that the most enjoyable aspect of The Survival Games.

ShortyClutch

Platinum
Reaction score
I think the reason for people not really enjoying SG Classsic as much as just Survival Games is because Survival Games is just faster. I have personally played one of the SG Classic games and I got tired of waiting for people so I ended up leaving. I just feel like the world is getting to the point where everything has to be fast paced and all in your face. Survival games is like that and that's what people are attracted to. I think that SG Classic just doesn't pack as much of a punch as regular Survival Games.

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
what happens when you spend an hour alive, only to die in deathmatch and win nothing? it sucks to spend so much time only to lose.

people like to win, the game got much more competitive when breeze island came out, because it was the first small map, and things got very competitive and it was easy to win games fast. leaderboards only added to it.

now, everyone just wants to farm wins to prove skill, which is why leaderboards and ranks are such a big deal.

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
what happens when you spend an hour alive, only to die in deathmatch and win nothing? it sucks to spend so much time only to lose.

people like to win, the game got much more competitive when breeze island came out, because it was the first small map, and things got very competitive and it was easy to win games fast. leaderboards only added to it.

now, everyone just wants to farm wins to prove skill, which is why leaderboards and ranks are such a big deal.
The leaderboards are the best and worse thing to ever happen to me. On one hand I enjoy the competition, but on the other, I hate feeling the obligation to play to win. I miss the days where I could play with friends and jump off buildings in SG2, or get punched off cliffs in SG3, or get betrayed in SG4. But nowadays mcsg has gotten so hypercompetetive for me, it's gotten to be saddening and disheartening how much I seem to care about my win count. I always say I'd never leave, but if there's one thing that will ever give me the justification in my mind to leave, you better believe I will.

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
The leaderboards are the best and worse thing to ever happen to me. On one hand I enjoy the competition, but on the other, I hate feeling the obligation to play to win. I miss the days where I could play with friends and jump off buildings in SG2, or get punched off cliffs in SG3, or get betrayed in SG4. But nowadays mcsg has gotten so hypercompetetive for me, it's gotten to be saddening and disheartening how much I seem to care about my win count. I always say I'd never leave, but if there's one thing that will ever give me the justification in my mind to leave, you better believe I will.
sometimes i wish i was more well known/active in the community/forums back when long games and v1 were the thing. i feel as though i would have made a lot more friends, gotten better, and actually had a shot at the leaderboards. at the same time, i'm glad i wasn't, because its quite... how should i say... reassuring? that i can leave this community any time i want without feeling obligated to go back.

gizmobrick

Experienced
Reaction score
When I join a game of MCSGv2 I usually hope for a good fight with someone and maybe even a win. With larger more unfamiliar maps there is a lot more out of your control making it harder to have an epic battle with someone. To survive you have to rely on whatever you get from a couple of tier 1s and a few kills. Usually (at least for me) that consist of a wooden sword, leather armor, and some melons.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that people's expectations in MCSG have changed sense the survival games first were a thing. Surviving in the wilderness was fun for a while, but when you found a full iron guy at corn you quickly realized that having a chest rout was mandatory for your survival. From there it turned into smaller maps, more loot in chests, and more well seasoned players.

I suppose that the idea of surviving was less superior to the idea of PvPing. Then over time MCSG adapted to this new idea of how the survival games were suppose to be. I'm not saying that one is better than another, but it is interesting to see how things have changed.

TimmaaaaH

Platinum
Reaction score
Surviving can be learnt within a week or 2, you will never be 'the best' at surviving since it's such a basic thing. PvP itself however is something competitive and there's always room for improvement, urging people to improve and become better and better.
The big maps can be fun, but I think I play them more because of the nostalgic feelings lots of other old-time players get when playing maps such as sg1,2 and 3, other than that, I don't feel like the survival aspect has been a nice aspect of the game, I see it more luck and map-knowledge based than skill-based, it makes people struggle in the games, that frustrates people a lot. Not saying the PvP aspect is all skill-based, because it isn't, obviously.
Big maps take ages to finish, like most people pointed out, which is often not a good thing.
The game has improved a lot since the end of V1, evidently shown by the amount of people playing it at the moment and by the rate it's growing.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci