• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Spotting and Avoiding Scams.

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Hello there! Over the years that I have been a part of the Minecraft community I have noticed that while it is a great community (compared to a lot of other games) There are a lot of scams out there. I figured, why not create a nice thread, to help people avoid getting scammed. Here is a list of some common scams that I have seen, and how to avoid them:

Free upgrades: I have seen people use this one many times, basically someone will tell you that they can get you something for free, a cape, a rank, a skin, ect. They will tell you that in order to give you your free object they will need your username and password. Don't give it to them . Nobody should ever need your password to give you something.

Programs: There are a whole host of programs out there that will steal your password. Name changing programs are some of the most common. Basically it will be a program that tells you to log in to your Minecraft account in order to change your skin, when in reality it sends all the information you type in back to the person who made it. I'm sorry to tell you, but there is no such thing as a program that can change your Minecraft name, when name changing becomes available you will not have to download anything, you will simply log in on minecraft.net and use their service. Here is an example of one of these:

Phishing websites: There are a lot of these and they all claim to do something different. It could be a website that looks exactly like the MCGamer forums, but when you try to log in it sends your username and password to someone so they can log in with your account. I suggest you read this thread about phishing http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/psa-phishing-and-compromised-accounts.130979/
Common tactics for phishers:

• Change the characters of the URL (www.you1ube.cominstead ofwww.youtube.com),
  • Exploit text formatting to fake links (the text will saywww.youtube.com, but it will link to another malicious site).
  • Post links to log-in sites that look the same as a legitimate site, then logging the information you type in.
  • Send you to a download link for a program masquerading as something else. Once the program is downloaded and unpacked, a malware is installed that will collect your sensitive information and send it to the phisher.
Online sales: There are plenty of people who offer to sell Minecraft accounts for very cheap prices, the thing you have to keep in mind is that very few of them are legit. If you are looking for a new Minecraft account I highly recommend that you buy it straight from minecraft.net, while you might pay a little more than someone else has offered, you won't have to risk being scammed. If you must conduct a sale through Skype or some other medium, make sure that you trust the person first, try to find people who have done business with them before, and ask them how it was.

That's all I could think of but if you think of something I missed leave a comment and I'll add it in to the thread.

Remember, we are all as safe as we want to be.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Thanks! c: Unfortunately I once clicked on a phishing link over the MCGamer TS, but I managed to exit out before it did anything.

Matt0808

Career
Reaction score
I remember back in 2012 there was a massive security scare where some people managed to bypasss the login servers. I think a few staff accounts here were accessed.

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
Great thread, really raises awareness and gives people knowledge about this critical topic:)

Sim_Man

District 13
Reaction score
I wish I knew more before i traded my optifine cape for 10 mc accounts lol

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
If you really think there is a program that changes names and stuff, IMO you deserve to be hacked...
That's a bit rude to say, there are a lot of children playing Minecraft, who are usually not able yet to tell the different between a scam site or the actuall website.
Hello there! Over the years that I have been a part of the Minecraft community I have noticed that while it is a great community (compared to a lot of other games) There are a lot of scams out there. I figured, why not create a nice thread, to help people avoid getting scammed. Here is a list of some common scams that I have seen, and how to avoid them:

Free upgrades: I have seen people use this one many times, basically someone will tell you that they can get you something for free, a cape, a rank, a skin, ect. They will tell you that in order to give you your free object they will need your username and password. Don't give it to them . Nobody should ever need your password to give you something.

Programs: There are a whole host of programs out there that will steal your password. Name changing programs are some of the most common. Basically it will be a program that tells you to log in to your Minecraft account in order to change your skin, when in reality it sends all the information you type in back to the person who made it. I'm sorry to tell you, but there is no such thing as a program that can change your Minecraft name, when name changing becomes available you will not have to download anything, you will simply log in on minecraft.net and use their service. Here is an example of one of these:

Phishing websites: There are a lot of these and they all claim to do something different. It could be a website that looks exactly like the MCGamer forums, but when you try to log in it sends your username and password to someone so they can log in with your account. I suggest you read this thread about phishing http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/psa-phishing-and-compromised-accounts.130979/

Online sales: There are plenty of people who offer to sell Minecraft accounts for very cheap prices, the thing you have to keep in mind is that very few of them are legit. If you are looking for a new Minecraft account I highly recommend that you buy it straight from minecraft.net, while you might pay a little more than someone else has offered, you won't have to risk being scammed. If you must conduct a sale through Skype or some other medium, make sure that you trust the person first, try to find people who have done business with them before, and ask them how it was.

That's all I could think of but if you think of something I missed leave a comment and I'll add it in to the thread.

Remember, we are all as safe as we want to be.
Great guide! but shouldn't it be in the community guides section?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci