• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Shower Idea 1: Resistance at the beginning of the game.

Opinions? (Please elaborate in the comments)

• Total voters

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Please remember that I thought of this idea while in the shower. I didn't really think it through super well, which is why I would really appreciate the thoughts and input of you, the players.

Now, a lot of people have toyed around with the idea of a Grace Period. However, if you look at the "No-No suggestions" thread, you'll see that having a Grace Period is on the top of that list.

However, I do have an alternative.
Resistance. Strengthening players at the beginning of the game.
For the first, say, 20 seconds off of the pedestals, players are given Resistance (1? 2?).
Possible Alternative: Absorption Effect (Also known as golden apple hearts) for the first twenty or thirty seconds of the game.

How does this affect the game?
People who get unlucky in chest loot have a slightly higher chance of escaping. Ever been trying to record a video, livestream, or just play with some friends, when you get killed by a person with a stone sword in the first ten seconds of the game? If you have even a few dozen games played, I'd bet that you have. (Unless you always run away from Spawn, hehe.) And sure enough, hundreds of players rage each day because this happens to them.
This would give you a slightly higher chance of living. Getting hit three times no longer kills you (crits doe), but you can still be eliminated if the person commits to the kill and swings twice more before turning around and moving on.
The "bloodbath" is not completely removed, but it makes it a bit easier for the unfortunate.

Effects on the overall game
More tributes.
In the beginning of any given game, several tributes can die in the first minute. It's no surprise to see the count of players alive drop from 24 to 16 in the first two minutes, or even lower. Having a little bit of resistance could mean the difference between 16 and 20 people alive.
Now, the people who get hit would still be at low HP. Maybe not dead, but close. They would be forced to take a more cautious stance, and tread with care. They wouldn't be able to immediately contest hot-spot routes, but nevertheless they would still be alive. (well, sometimes.)
This would cause items to be spread more thinly among players in the first few minutes. Ever seen people complaining about how chest routes are too OP? Well, having a few more players alive in a single game means there's more people vying for the best routes, and more people who aren't. It's just... more people. Over-powered chest routes would possibly be slightly less powerful because of one of those sneaky fellows who ran away from the cornucopia and snagged three tier 2's somewhere at the end of your route, who wouldn't have been alive if not for their Resistance in the first few seconds of the game, when they were being pummeled by a stone sword.

Other Positive Effects:
"YEEAHH I'M ALIIIVE" effect. Symptoms of happiness, elation, joy, and other positive mental side-effects.
People who get "try-harded" off of Spawn have a higher chance of living
Being close to a forcefield or click-aimbot hacker at the beginning of the game is no longer quite as risky. (still risky, but slightly less.)

Other Negative Effects:
People who you chase for a long time might live with a sliver of health because of it. Possibly frustrating, for those with the weapons.
Less bloodbath? :c President Snow/Chad/Mufasa is sad nao.

Thoughts? Keep in mind that I thought of this while taking a shower (the #1 place for having great ideas, LOL) and I wrote this thread at midnight while simultaneously having a discussion with a 12-year old boy who wanted to open his own server. My thoughts weren't exactly clear.
Oh, and I also have a second feature suggestion to write up before I can go to bed. ;_;

OMG A GHOST IN MY HOUSE H*LY F************** I SAW A FLOATING WHITE LIGHT AND I THOUGHT IT WAS MY SISTER HOLDING HER MP3 PLAYER UP BUT IT WASN'T
WTF
SAVE MEEE
(as far as I know I haven't actually been mauled yet by said ghost but I feel a sort of weird spider-sort of sensation on my back and eww.)

Last edited:

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
Wait, what? Mineplex has this?
WAT?

WAAAT
Edit:
WAAAAAAAAAAAT?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
on mineplex, you start with extra health unless you damage other players. you also start with a speed boost. just watch any of cpt. sparklez' videos and you'll see what i mean

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
on mineplex, you start with extra health unless you damage other players. you also start with a speed boost. just watch any of cpt. sparklez' videos and you'll see what i mean
Oh.
I forgot about that. I never did like their SG. It's ew. (No offence to mineplex players, just my personal opinion. + I've only played it like once and died off of corn. XD)

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
I like this idea, and just like Moo, I didnt know Mineplex had it.

Its a good work around Grace Period, I wouldnt like that, but this idea seems like a viable alternative. It seems it would work pretty well too, and the bloodbath would still happen but just in a longer term of time, since more players means more fighting for chest routes at the beggining, many players are still granted to die at the beggining, but at least the get a better chance.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
Yeah, they have this in place on both Mineplex and ProMCGames. I like playing on the latter occasionally because it's very similar to MCSG (despite small "starter kits" and a few different items).

Truthfully, I'm sort of on the fence about it. In certain cases, I think having immunity for a small bit is great, but I can't help thinking about the actual Hunger Games. In the books and movies, they start killing each other the second they pick up their items. And there's something about the risk-factor of going to cornucopia that I really like.

So in short: either way it doesn't matter to me, but shouldn't going to cornucopia at least have some sort of risk associated with it?

dashingdogs

Platinum
Reaction score
Yeah I hate getting killed of spawn so this is a good idea. (If it happens more then 2 times in a row I usually quit for like 1 hour

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
It took me a lot longer to realize why this was called shower idea than it should have.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Actually not too bad of an idea. I have mixed feelings on this, because it could be really nice but I wouldn't want to ruin the dangers of going to corn. Maybe a small 10 second resistance upon the start would protect against early fisters and initial sword hits?

Also SP00KT

Kcinayy

Platinum
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea, however, most people like shorter games. If this would get added it isnt very likely people get short and fast games, even on Solar Frost...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci