• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Should Mankind Fear Artificial Intelligence?

bad2020

Experienced
Reaction score
I do not believe that Artificial Intelligence is a problem that we should worry about. Robots and other forms of AI can only preform the tasks that they are programmed to do. There are also ways that we could stop them if they actually tried to take over such as EMPs not to mention we have the ability to process thoughts and determine a plan of action whereas AI are only able to do calculations that they are made to do.

Regardless, I do not believe that AI are any threat and there are many other threats we should be worried about and focus on.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Artificial intelligence is the future, it's a goal that's being attempted now and is going to always be attempted until the end of mankind.

The main goal is for medicine, peace-keeping and the survival of humans / the planet.

The problem is the fact that it's a bit of a race in technology, which means cutting corners. If the system is sentient or broken enough, it could unreasonably see that human extinction is the solution to these problems. That's the premise behind a lot of movies; The Matrix, I, Robot, Ultron. Transcendence.
Good post, I agree that building artificial intelligence shouldn't be the main goal, but virtually every scientific field is being explored and expanded.
Watson was just a big database with a lot of programming, nothing in worried about taking over tbh
The point wasn't that Watson was dangerous, it was that Watson is an incredible machine. It was capable of understanding any question about the universe through verbal communication and answering it better than any human on Earth. It was like Siri on steroids. It shows how limited humans are in our capacity for knowledge.
I'm actually quite terrified of AIs. I blame Terminator, Halo, A,I. Artificial Intelligence, etc.

I, personally, believe that it's not a threat as long as human kind does not make them a threat. What I'm saying is that based on the intelligence we program them with, they will not harm humans at all. However, I do believe that if supplied with enough intelligence, far more than the capacity of a human, a robot may indeed begin to learn by itself. When it learns by itself, a robot can learn more then any human. It will learn unknown secrets mankind has tried to discover themselves, how the universe was born, etc. and maybe even ultimately create clones because of the knowledge they're gaining. I'm totally down for robots to do my laundry and stuff, but I fear their knowledge.

Knowledge = Power

I'm way too paranoid.
You definitely have to tell the robot to become a threat for it to become one. At the root of every machine, it is only receiving input and making output in the form of action. But if you program a robot to both learn and kill and you make coding errors, there is a chance it will not even listen to its own programmer, and it will get out of control. Once it's independent, you have something similar to a fear of death. So I agree with you, it is a threat.
I think we're a bit too far away from what you're saying.

"Overpassing human intelligence and acting on their own will" is a movie stereotype, they could be forced against us if their security was bypassed from someone else or hacked, but not by themselves.
Haha, that is a pretty funny/awesome video. However, there are computers that can detect what humans are thinking. I saw a documentary on it. I learned about this one machine that uses a massive database of images and combines them with scans of brain activity to produce a rough yet live and accurate image of a dreaming person. Another machine was able to use brain scans to determine whether a person was thinking "yes" or "no" in their head when asked a question, effectively reading their mind.

No, I do not think that a robot overpassing its owner's will is purely a stereotype. A simple coding error or glitch could cause it to become mistaken about its mission. Someone could program a robot to fight an enemy, and in the process it could be intercepted and have its coding changed by an incompetent person, creating a robot that respects no human. There are numerous ways the situation could arrive, some involving human intervention, some not.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
Only the robots can tell us!
If real life will be anything like Ex Machina, I'm outta here.

Reaction score
A simple coding error or glitch could cause it to become mistaken about its mission. Someone could program a robot to fight an enemy, and in the process it could be intercepted and have its coding changed by an incompetent person, creating a robot that respects no human
Yea that was what I was trying to get out with my response, that a simple mistake or someone causing that mistake might as well cause this hostility of robots to humans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci