• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Quitting

Reaction score
I will! A lot is two words, not one as you posed It to be.

Look, the members of this community, the "randoms" are what makes MCSG a thing. "Randoms" and regular people (in society) make ALL the difference in a world and in a community.
YOU ARE WALKING INTO A HISTORY LESSON. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Just like in ancient times, slaves and farmers were the foundation of civilization. They never knew, and probably most still don't, but they are very important. Besides, all "well known" people were "randoms" at one point. No one is well known over night and some people might want the attention more than others. Note that I'm not saying that everyone well known is an attention hoe.
If you're wondering why I quote "randoms" or "random", it's because they aren't words in the meaning you guys (and me, too :D) use it. Look it up! Oh, and here's a hilarious Urban Dictionary post about the word 'random'. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=randoms
GETTING OFF TOPIC!
You can't accuse someone of being a "random" and everyone has a right to make a post. You've stated that, and I know that is opinion, here's mine. Just trying to look out for the "randoms" because it really hurts your feelings. Whether it's because you don't have donor or because you're 'a nub' it destroys and razes your self esteem.
Thanks for reading!
~Fellow Random
-TheShoppingBag
I feel the need to defend myself here. I didn't say anything bad about random players. Perhaps randoms was the wrong word. Unknowns more like it. Players that no one will recognize if they post a goodbye thread. Also, I never looked down upon these unknown players. The way you say it you make it sound like I only acknowledge or value well known players. All I said is that players that aren't well known have no need to post a goodbye thread, I didn't say they had no place in society. I also know we're all randoms at one point or another, again, all I said is that there's little reason for these players to post a goodbye thread, not little reason to try and be part of the community.

Let me explain my stance with a weird analogy. It's like going to a shopping market to the same shopping market for a few years, sure you'll pass a few of the same people over time, but you won't remember each other, and when you're fed up with the stores service you won't announce to the entire store that you're leaving, and you won't expect well wishes from the stores patrons, they'll likely just gawk at you. If you worked there, or otherwise had some sort of known presence there, saying goodbye would be justified. In the same vein if you have some kind of complaint about the store you'd have a reason to go around and tell the store why you're leaving to help them improve themselves. It's especially bad if you go, yell "GOODBYE!" to everyone in the store, and then showed up again a week later.

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
Agreed. Except if you weren't a mod, and you were popular on the forums and the community, you could still make a goodbye thread.

I returned 2 months later. I wasn't even sure if I was coming back! My thread was very well thought out and I spent many hours working on it.

I wouldn't take my thread back for anything; I feel that it was the right thing to make.
Yeah, yours was reasonable and you took a long break. I mean those people who say they're leaving then come back a week layer.

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
Dont need one lol xD jk
Well then.

Either way, since maybe my last post didn't sink too well into my absolute searing hatred for goodbye threads, I'll make another in full detail.

But first, here's a question:

Why do goodbye threads have to be made?

You could respond with anything to answer this question, and just for explanation's-sake ,I'll steal a few from mr_pendle's post. "To inform people that they won't be online anymore." Or even... "To say goodbye to friends and show that they love the community."

To anybody who supports goodbye threads, this is what they might typically respond to that question with. But, since I'm anti-goodbye thread, I'm gonna have a different response.

Anything that you can do in a goodbye thread, you can do in a status.
Look, the actual forums aren't some form of Facebook where you go on and rant about in-real-life stuff, if you want to seal your MCSG career, even though if you've "left" you're probably just gonna come back soon anyway, do it in a freaking status where personal stuff like that belongs.

"But MJ! What if they're well known and need a way to make sure people know they're gone?"

If they were that well known, they're typically going to have a lot of followers. People will catch on if you post some document that shows your leaving in your status, cause let's face it, word gets around on MCSG easily. This DOESN'T count resignations, which I'll get to later.

"But MJ! If somebody wants to 'thank' the community for all they've done for that certain person, what better place than to do it in the community corner?"

Leaving threads are personal, so really the only people who will truly care about you leaving are the ones who know you personally, or if you're on a high-status, your followers. These people are also by some chance on the forums following you. You can fit all of this in a status and keep it out of the way of threads where anybody can participate.

It may be called the community corner, but let's face it, I've been here for a year and only know a chip of you personally.

"But MJ! If you consider leaving threads personal, then what do you consider introduction threads? Huh? You gonna hate on those too?"
Introduction threads are way different from leaving threads. Typically, if somebody joins and they're brand new, not a whole lot of people are going to know them, so their best chance at getting their name out there and learning a few things about MCSG is totally fine. Leaving threads where all you want is attention, is not.

"But MJ! Mods who resign should have a way of making sure that people know they're gone!"
Resignations are different from leaving threads cause they're informational. If a mod resigns (or gets fired) it's best to let the community know so we can get a feel on the increase/decrease of moderators. If you're some random member who likes to quit three times a month, the community that doesn't know you, doesn't need to know about this.

"But MJ! How can you fit an entire leaving thread into a status? You can only put so much in there!" (TWSS)
Use a text-document or text-sharing website if your resignation is really long, or if your's is small, just do it manually. You could also choose to tag those who might care somewhere in that status. It's really not that difficult.

Which this can sum up why goodbye threads are in my eyes cancer. They're only personal, and most of the time provide absolutely zero good reasons as to why somebody's leaving. (School isn't a good reason. Don't blame the game for your scholar mistakes, blame yourself. If you're literally so bent on school to the point where you can't spend any time on MCSG, then why did you even start playing in the first place?)

Personal stuff belongs in your profiles, that's why they're called personal statuses. Threads are made for discussion. Personal leavings are not full-drawn discussions, especially when the people that will only care about you leaving are your friends. (AKA the people you tagged.)

This all comes to the conclusion that anything you can do in a goodbye thread, you can do just as well in a status, so if you're doing it in a thread, you're doing it for attention and aren't, well, technically speaking even leaving correctly. Do you think people who quit their job tell EVERYBODY in their workplace they're quitting? They may tell a few other workers, but not the entire commune.

That will be all.

Toe

District 13
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is JUST AN OPINION, so if they want to post it, let them!

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Well then.

Either way, since maybe my last post didn't sink too well into my absolute searing hatred for goodbye threads, I'll make another in full detail.

You could respond with anything to answer this question, and just for explanation's-sake ,I'll steal a few from mr_pendle's post. "To inform people that they won't be online anymore." Or even... "To say goodbye to friends and show that they love the community."

To anybody who supports goodbye threads, this is what they might typically respond to that question with. But, since I'm anti-goodbye thread, I'm gonna have a different response.

Look, the actual forums aren't some form of Facebook where you go on and rant about in-real-life stuff, if you want to seal your MCSG career, even though if you've "left" you're probably just gonna come back soon anyway, do it in a freaking status where personal stuff like that belongs.

"But MJ! What if they're well known and need a way to make sure people know they're gone?"

If they were that well known, they're typically going to have a lot of followers. People will catch on if you post some document that shows your leaving in your status, cause let's face it, word gets around on MCSG easily. This DOESN'T count resignations, which I'll get to later.

"But MJ! If somebody wants to 'thank' the community for all they've done for that certain person, what better place than to do it in the community corner?"

Leaving threads are personal, so really the only people who will truly care about you leaving are the ones who know you personally, or if you're on a high-status, your followers. These people are also by some chance on the forums following you. You can fit all of this in a status and keep it out of the way of threads where anybody can participate.

It may be called the community corner, but let's face it, I've been here for a year and only know a chip of you personally.

"But MJ! If you consider leaving threads personal, then what do you consider introduction threads? Huh? You gonna hate on those too?"
Introduction threads are way different from leaving threads. Typically, if somebody joins and they're brand new, not a whole lot of people are going to know them, so their best chance at getting their name out there and learning a few things about MCSG is totally fine. Leaving threads where all you want is attention, is not.

"But MJ! Mods who resign should have a way of making sure that people know they're gone!"
Resignations are different from leaving threads cause they're informational. If a mod resigns (or gets fired) it's best to let the community know so we can get a feel on the increase/decrease of moderators. If you're some random member who likes to quit three times a month, the community that doesn't know you, doesn't need to know about this.

"But MJ! How can you fit an entire leaving thread into a status? You can only put so much in there!" (TWSS)
Use a text-document or text-sharing website if your resignation is really long, or if your's is small, just do it manually. You could also choose to tag those who might care somewhere in that status. It's really not that difficult.

Which this can sum up why goodbye threads are in my eyes cancer. They're only personal, and most of the time provide absolutely zero good reasons as to why somebody's leaving. (School isn't a good reason. Don't blame the game for your scholar mistakes, blame yourself. If you're literally so bent on school to the point where you can't spend any time on MCSG, then why did you even start playing in the first place?)

Personal stuff belongs in your profiles, that's why they're called personal statuses. Threads are made for discussion. Personal leavings are not full-drawn discussions, especially when the people that will only care about you leaving are your friends. (AKA the people you tagged.)

This all comes to the conclusion that anything you can do in a goodbye thread, you can do just as well in a status, so if you're doing it in a thread, you're doing it for attention and aren't, well, technically speaking even leaving correctly. Do you think people who quit their job tell EVERYBODY in their workplace they're quitting? They may tell a few other workers, but not the entire commune.

That will be all.
Thank you for taking your time with writing all that, I read everything and it's very well- written.
Dont need one lol xD jk
Then don't post?

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
phew, thought you where leaving me ;-;

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Well then.

That will be all.
1) People might catch on if you put something in your status update, but it might not be for a while. I had NO CLUE WHATSOEVER that a good friend of mine, jcammots, had left MCSG until a few months after the fact. :/

2) So you are telling me that all 37 people who liked my goodbye thread actually knew me personally? I'd say at that time only about half I had ever talked to on skype or TS. The others just knew me as a forumer who had gained quite a bit of respect in the community and would be sad to see me go. I %100 could not have made my thread as a status: Nobody looks at statuses anymore.

3) In leaving threads, you don't just want attention. If you make a well thought out leaving thread, mainly it is for a) thanking various community members for making your time great and b) notifying people that you are leaving. Even the people who didn't know me personally cared that I was leaving. I wasn't looking for attention; I had quit! :p

4) True, most members that post leaving threads are random members that people don't know. However, shouldn't it be ok for the well-known members to post leaving threads?

5) Text sharing websites can only do so much. You can't bold or underline or add emoticons. Notice the text part of text sharing websites? You can't add images, either.

6) Many reasons a person would leave is a good reason. If you just get tired of MCSG, that's a good reason. There are plenty of other good reasons, and although they might look stupid in your eyes, they aren't in the eyes of the person leaving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically from what I'm seeing, you think all personal thing or things seeking attention should be kept in statuses. So this would include leaving threads as well as "about me" threads, "milestone" threads, and also "thanks" threads? If so, that already takes out about 90% of all Community Corner threads. People spend time on these threads so that they can share them with the community.

Here's what most ticks me off about your post:

I belong to another website called bleacherreport.com. It is a sports website, but it does have comment sections where people have intense discussions about articles. Did I mention that all articles are community-made?

I see a lot of messages that hate on articles. "This is stupid!", "Why does this article even need to be on bleacherreport", "That was horrible, never reading anything from [name] again."

If you see something that you don't care about, why in tarnation do you need to even read it? Why do you need to hate something that you aren't being forced to read????? I do not understand your extreme hatred towards leaving threads. For Pete's sake, nobody is threatening to kill you if you don't read them!!!! Why do you even have to care when you can just ignore them?

Let people have their fun. Let them post leaving threads. After all, why does it matter? It's their opinion, and it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

That is all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci