• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Quitting

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
It depends, this is where I stand, you're goodbye thread is justified if -

-You bring up some serious points/explain why you're leaving. If all you're going to say is "Had fun, love you all, goodbye" then, yeah, you shouldn't be posting a thread. But if you say something like "I don't like some of the in-game players now-a-days" or even "I'm just not having fun anymore" then it's fine.

-You don't come back in a month or two. So many people post goodbye threads and then reappear in a week to a month. Chances are that whether or not the thread was attention seeking, there was no point because you weren't actually saying a prolonged goodbye. More of a, "Cya".

- You're of some sort of status. This sounds arrogant, but hear me out. If you're a common poster, a moderator, YouTuber or high on the leader-boards, it's justified. Why? Because people that you that don't personally know, know who you are. Your leaving is only worth a public announcement if a large portion of the general public knows you. Otherwise, if you're just a normal player with a couple of friends, you can just talk on Skype or start a forum conversation. A famous soccer player might go on TV to announce his retirement, but some random player in a rec league won't, he'll just tell the people who know him.

I disagree with a lot of posts on this thread. When you post a thread on the forums you publicly announce something. And yes, I get it, if you love the community you want to say goodbye, but lets admit it, most of these threads are being posted by randoms that aren't part of the community and don't have anything to really say.

Note - This is being posted as a member of the community, not as a moderator, this is all just my opinion.
I understand your points, some higher status members do have more reasons to post a leaving thread,
But
No one has the right to decide whether a thread is pointless or not, everyone has reasons.
You say threads by "randoms" that aren't part if the community are pointless.
Just because they're well known on the forums doesn't mean they're not part of this wonderful community. They might have been playing in game for over a year, and then when they finally decide to stop, they think, I'm going to make an account to share this with others.
You might have no idea who they are or what their story is. No one might even. That still doesn't mean the thread isn't a justifiable one.

If someone makes a good bye thread, no matter how long or short it is, it shows that this community meant something to them. We should appreciate that and send them off with best wishes.

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
I disagree on getting rid of Goodbye threads as a whole. I think it's a way of letting people know, because if you're anything like me, you don't usually check status updates.
However, if the person ten proceeds to return less than a month later, then I think it's an issue. That's just looking for attention. Why go through all the trouble to make a (hopefully) well thought out thread, just to return and be spammed with "You're back!"

Reaction score
I understand your points, some higher status members do have more reasons to post a leaving thread,
But
No one has the right to decide whether a thread is pointless or not, everyone has reasons.
You say threads by "randoms" that aren't part if the community are pointless.
Just because they're well known on the forums doesn't mean they're not part of this wonderful community. They might have been playing in game for over a year, and then when they finally decide to stop, they think, I'm going to make an account to share this with others.
You might have no idea who they are or what their story is. No one might even. That still doesn't mean the thread isn't a justifiable one.

If someone makes a good bye thread, no matter how long or short it is, it shows that this community meant something to them. We should appreciate that and send them off with best wishes.
Like I said, that's just my own opinion. I feel like you shouldn't announce your leaving to a whole bunch of people who don't know you. Maybe it's my sentimental side talking, but I'd much rather get a few meaningful messages from people I know when I leave, rather than a bunch of generic meaningless ones from people I don't know.

I also never said that the thread itself was pointless. I said that the gesture of announcing it to everyone in the community section of the forums was pointless in my eyes. I'm not going to start some escapade to stop goodbye threads, I'm just going to ignore ones from people I don't know. If I wasn't a mod, and I decided to leave, I wouldn't post a thread saying goodbye. That was the point I was trying to get across. I was painting my own opinion on the topic, and I don't plan on trying to force that opinion on others.

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
Like I said, that's just my own opinion. I feel like you shouldn't announce your leaving to a whole bunch of people who don't know you. Maybe it's my sentimental side talking, but I'd much rather get a few meaningful messages from people I know when I leave, rather than a bunch of generic meaningless ones from people I don't know.

I also never said that the thread itself was pointless. I said that the gesture of announcing it to everyone in the community section of the forums was pointless in my eyes. I'm not going to start some escapade to stop goodbye threads, I'm just going to ignore ones from people I don't know. If I wasn't a mod, and I decided to leave, I wouldn't post a thread saying goodbye. That was the point I was trying to get across. I was painting my own opinion on the topic, and I don't plan on trying to force that opinion on others.
Yeah, like I said in my first message, just ignore them or don't post.
However, I've never seen a leaving thread by someone who is completely unknown.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score

Agreed. Except if you weren't a mod, and you were popular on the forums and the community, you could still make a goodbye thread.
I disagree on getting rid of Goodbye threads as a whole. I think it's a way of letting people know, because if you're anything like me, you don't usually check status updates.
However, if the person ten proceeds to return less than a month later, then I think it's an issue. That's just looking for attention. Why go through all the trouble to make a (hopefully) well thought out thread, just to return and be spammed with "You're back!"
I returned 2 months later. I wasn't even sure if I was coming back! My thread was very well thought out and I spent many hours working on it.

I wouldn't take my thread back for anything; I feel that it was the right thing to make.

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
Honestly it really depends on the person whether or not they actually mean their resignation or not.

Some people do it yes, for attention.. then come back in a week or 2. Make huge long threads just pretty much to see who cares which I think is pointless.

But on the other side, other people post threads about them leaving because they can write this big huge goodbye and tag people to where if you tried to just post it on your wall, you have a max letter count. Tagging them in a thread is just easier to let people you care about know you are leaving.

Then there are people who had every intention of leaving, but something changed their mind. I had quit at one point for about a month? I was tired of being targetted for being a top 5 player on the leaderboards. Then Mcsg came out with the /d and I decided to give it another shot in hopes that things would be different.

One thing I saw that you say is that at least 3 happen everyday. That's a bit of an exaggeration with the exception of the past week when like.. 15 mods resigned. A lot of quitting/resignations have happened since then.. but before that, it wasn't even close to 3 a day xD.

Also, just because you aren't a well known youtuber or staff member.. doesn't mean you shouldn't have a goodbye thread lol. There are plenty of players who are well know then many staff member and youtubers.

WertQuadNine

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I like goodbye threads, but not when they're just for attention. They usually spend more time on the thread than of the time that they're gone xD What I'm saying is that people usually make threads like this who don't mean it.

I also dislike threads that say they're going on break for like a week or so, I've seen a thread saying they're leaving for a WEEKEND and made a whole thread and tagging people saying how much they'll miss them, like wtf?

Anyways, please only make a bye thread if it's for real.

_Zombie

Spectator
Reaction score
Hmm, I agree.. But if you say youre gonna leave for a few months then take the break. If you make a post about you quiting for a few weeks.. You're clearly doing it just for attention and isn't completely necessary. I agree with you %100 and because of that, You get a cookie. ^.^

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Some people make goodbye threads out of spontaneous impulse because they got killed by 3 hackers in a row. Then they come back the next day. That's what annoys me. I think, like Captain said, if people kind of new you well, then it's fine to make a goodbye thread. People grow too close to this community than to simply make a status about leaving it.

BAGHRB

Career
Reaction score
Could anyone share some serious opinions instead of posting smileys and four letter long comments?
I will! A lot is two words, not one as you posed It to be.
It depends, this is where I stand, you're goodbye thread is justified if -

-You bring up some serious points/explain why you're leaving. If all you're going to say is "Had fun, love you all, goodbye" then, yeah, you shouldn't be posting a thread. But if you say something like "I don't like some of the in-game players now-a-days" or even "I'm just not having fun anymore" then it's fine.

-You don't come back in a month or two. So many people post goodbye threads and then reappear in a week to a month. Chances are that whether or not the thread was attention seeking, there was no point because you weren't actually saying a prolonged goodbye. More of a, "Cya".

- You're of some sort of status. This sounds arrogant, but hear me out. If you're a common poster, a moderator, YouTuber or high on the leader-boards, it's justified. Why? Because people that you that don't personally know, know who you are. Your leaving is only worth a public announcement if a large portion of the general public knows you. Otherwise, if you're just a normal player with a couple of friends, you can just talk on Skype or start a forum conversation. A famous soccer player might go on TV to announce his retirement, but some random player in a rec league won't, he'll just tell the people who know him.

I disagree with a lot of posts on this thread. When you post a thread on the forums you publicly announce something. And yes, I get it, if you love the community you want to say goodbye, but lets admit it, most of these threads are being posted by randoms that aren't part of the community and don't have anything to really say.

Note - This is being posted as a member of the community, not as a moderator, this is all just my opinion.
Look, the members of this community, the "randoms" are what makes MCSG a thing. "Randoms" and regular people (in society) make ALL the difference in a world and in a community.
YOU ARE WALKING INTO A HISTORY LESSON. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Just like in ancient times, slaves and farmers were the foundation of civilization. They never knew, and probably most still don't, but they are very important. Besides, all "well known" people were "randoms" at one point. No one is well known over night and some people might want the attention more than others. Note that I'm not saying that everyone well known is an attention hoe.
If you're wondering why I quote "randoms" or "random", it's because they aren't words in the meaning you guys (and me, too :D) use it. Look it up! Oh, and here's a hilarious Urban Dictionary post about the word 'random'. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=randoms
GETTING OFF TOPIC!
You can't accuse someone of being a "random" and everyone has a right to make a post. You've stated that, and I know that is opinion, here's mine. Just trying to look out for the "randoms" because it really hurts your feelings. Whether it's because you don't have donor or because you're 'a nub' it destroys and razes your self esteem.
Thanks for reading!
~Fellow Random
-TheShoppingBag

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
All goodbye threads are bent around attention. Nobody would make them if they didn't want some form of attention, it's that simple.

I despise them cause they're a complete waste of space, and have zero-discussion value. Those pointless threads that the community always love to dart at CornStealer about are on the same level as goodbye threads.

Last edited:

Ordies

Experienced
Reaction score
All goodbye threads are bent around attention. Nobody would make them if they didn't want some form of attention, it's that simple.

I despise them cause they're a complete waste of space, and have zero-discussion value. Those pointless threads that the community always love to dart at CornStealer about are on the same level as goodbye threads.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, informational, getting attention isn't always bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci