• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Quitting

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Hello all,

this morning I want to share my opinion on something that has become pretty much a trend on our forums, quitting. Well, not quitting, but making threads about quitting.

This is a long boring rant, you have been warned.

I will get straight to it: every day, I see more than three people posting threads about leaving the forums/ leaving the servers. What these people usually have in common is that they have no reason at all to make threads about it. Take a look at the community corner- section of the forums, how many threads about leaving can you find? I am sure you will find some, after all, making threads about leaving has become a trend.

Last year, when these threads first appeared, someone posted this picture on one of these leaving- threads:

It was seen as rude to the guy who made the thread, and it was deleted. If I remember everything correctly, the threadmaker was not known at all on the forums and his post wasn't even well- written or long at all, meaning that he had no real reason at all to post that thread. The Spongebob- gif was pretty unnecessary, but it still sums up what most people think fairly well:

"if you have no reason to post a whole thread about you leaving a game or a website, don't do it at all."

Don't get me wrong, I understand if someone has alot of friends and want to thank them for their eternal support and caring, but if you don't happen to be a staff- member stepping down, or a well- known YouTuber (the only people who have a reason to post leaving- threads), then why can't you just make a status- update about it?

I myself made a thread when I took a break from Minecraft last year, and I can tell you now that the only reason why I made a thread about it was to get attention and be talked about. I checked the thread every day after I posted it to see if anyone had posted anything on it, which is attention-seeking at its finest.

I am certain that over 98 percent of all these leaving- threads are tools used by the thread- makers to get attention and be talked about, the way I did. That is why I see leaving- threads as something annoying and stupid, something we need to get off these forums.

If there are no reasons for you to tell the whole forum- community about you leaving Minecraft, don't do it at all. There are status- messages for a reason.

End of rant, if you want proof that this is becoming a problem, take a look at the community corner.

- VS

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Could anyone share some serious opinions instead of posting smileys and four letter long comments?

Cern

Platinum
Reaction score
Well, quitting is a pretty big deal for a person and his friends. If someone wants to make a thread about it, so be it. If I ever quit, making a thread would be a thing I would do, to show how much I appreciate the community. Sure, some people won't care. But, if you don't care about the person, then don't look at the thread. It's that simple. I have no issue with leaving threads, but that's just me.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
I disagree. Adamantly disagree.

If you want to combine your leaving story with your MCSG story, there is nothing wrong with that. I personally enjoy to read people's MCSG stories or their history/time on MCSG. That way I learn more about other people.

Back in November when I quit MCSG for about 2 months, I knew I would be back at some point. I just didn't know how long.
http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.c...great-year-farewell-story-and-about-me.69133/

When I posted that, I wasn't looking for attention. Why would I need attention after I was quitting? :p The point of my post was to let others know a little bit about me that they didn't know before, as well as thank others for making my MCSG experience amazing.

However,

There are the people who make short leaving threads and say, "Well, I didn't want to make everyone read a huge thread :p". Those are the people that could just use a status update. Here is what I agree with.

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
Let people do what they want, is what I say. Whether or not they are seeking attention, they still have the right to post it. We have attention-seekers everywhere in our world, and we just have to deal with them.

I say not to worry about the threads and simply ignore them. Eventually, all of the quitters will be gone..

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
At first I thought you were quitting. Good I was wrong.

But while I do think that some leaving threads are appropriate, there are a lot of unnecessary ones.

Athenaa

District 13
Reaction score
I disagree.
The people who are posting goodbye-threads, are doing it because they want to say goodbye to the community that they've been a part of for a while. And just making a status about it, or only telling your friends about you quitting, sometimes just isn't enough.
If it would have been me quitting, I definitely would have posted a goodbye-thread. Just so I could make sure that I thanked every single person in this community for contributing to the amazing experience that I've had on this server.

But hey, that's just my point of view :)

Last edited:

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
I disagree too
Even if you don't care doesn't mean everyone doesn't care. There are many reasons for posting a leaving thread.
  1. They might want to tell people that they won't be on anymore.
  2. They want to say goodbye to their friends that they met on here
  3. They love the community, and feel that saying goodbye is a way of showing that
  4. Posting a thread might make it easier to stay away. Once you click the 'Post Thread' button it's out there, saying that you're gone. If you had to leave because of school for example, and you don't post a thread and just leave, it's easier to come back, while if you say you've gone, it gives you motivation to stay away
  5. For some people it's a hard decision, threads help you get support and kind messages from the community.
I think everyone has a meaningful reason for posting one. If you don't care, then just don't reply and ignore it. Leave people who do care for replying.

Everyone has a right to post a thread not just the "popular" or "well known" forum people.as you say. Just because they don't know as many people, doesn't mean the people they do know care less then the "popular" people.

I'm sure lot's of you have been in a school where you've been left out because you're not "popular" It's not nice, so don't do it to others.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It depends, this is where I stand, you're goodbye thread is justified if -

-You bring up some serious points/explain why you're leaving. If all you're going to say is "Had fun, love you all, goodbye" then, yeah, you shouldn't be posting a thread. But if you say something like "I don't like some of the in-game players now-a-days" or even "I'm just not having fun anymore" then it's fine.

-You don't come back in a month or two. So many people post goodbye threads and then reappear in a week to a month. Chances are that whether or not the thread was attention seeking, there was no point because you weren't actually saying a prolonged goodbye. More of a, "Cya".

- You're of some sort of status. This sounds arrogant, but hear me out. If you're a common poster, a moderator, YouTuber or high on the leader-boards, it's justified. Why? Because people that you that don't personally know, know who you are. Your leaving is only worth a public announcement if a large portion of the general public knows you. Otherwise, if you're just a normal player with a couple of friends, you can just talk on Skype or start a forum conversation. A famous soccer player might go on TV to announce his retirement, but some random player in a rec league won't, he'll just tell the people who know him.

I disagree with a lot of posts on this thread. When you post a thread on the forums you publicly announce something. And yes, I get it, if you love the community you want to say goodbye, but lets admit it, most of these threads are being posted by randoms that aren't part of the community and don't have anything to really say.

Note - This is being posted as a member of the community, not as a moderator, this is all just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci