• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

PSA: Likes and Liking

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is my opinion. You may or may not have the same opinion. Please avoid flame but I love a good debate!

I have noticed a couple things that really bother me that staff, regular members and new members do. It involves a common thing: the like.

The like is a very special thing on the MCSG forums: for some it defines how good a "forumer" is. For others it is a way to prove that they are like a lot of other people in the community.

For whatever reason people believe the like to be, It has become my latest addiction. Every alert I see, I pray it is a like. And sometimes, that means I believe that one of my posts should have been liked, while others should not, and vice versa. I am not sure why I strive for this so much, but it is such a good feeling, every like I see. However, that is not the point. I have decided to make this thread to let the community know (in my opinion) when the right and wrong time it is to like someones posts.

Without further adieu lets get going!!!

When should you like a post?

Most posts are worthy of a like. The basic guidelines are:

• if you agree with the person or they have written something that greatly adds to the conversation, wether or not it is agreeable to your opinion. All conversation should be respected, and a like shows that you care about the other persons post.
  • A thread or post that you like (some exceptions). I know this is pretty basic but some people seem to forget this.
  • When a person makes a thread involving a question, and you comment on the thread in a way that adds to the conversation, the owner should like the post. This includes threads that are "Hello" based or "Milestone" based. i.e. Joe makes a thread with the question "What is your favorite color?". Then Billy responds by saying "I like blue because the ocean is awesome". Therefor, Billy has answered Joe's question, and Joe should like Billy's post. If Billy comments "ur stoopid plz stahp" Then Joe should not like Billy's post.
  • If someone tags you in a post that either involves a compliment or something the tagged person is involved with or is interested in, the tagged person should like the post.
  • Finally, people should like a well written post that drives conversation! That is what the forums are about! People put a lot of effort into those and a like is very rewarding!
When should you not like a post?
This is the part that may get a lot of hate. Read the disclaimer!!!

• If the comment or thread is hateful, racist or misogynistic DO NOT like the post. I don't care if the joke is funny, it is rude and against the rules. I urge you not to like them.
  • Troll threads or posts. These bother me personally the most. I believe I put a great effort into a lot of my posts and to see threads that say things like this: "Dis kitty kat knows wer huawi iz" and then posts a meme of angry cat saying: " I eatz Huawi" and that gets thirty likes. It is an absolute joke these threads draw three likes let alone thirty!
  • Do not ever quote someone and say "this" or "^" without giving them a like! That is the idea of the like. You agree with the persons opinion or post, therefor like it. Staff members are sometimes guilty of this.
  • Forum games threads. If someone posts "1", don't like it. Just don't.
  • This one is kind of different, but as RC_4777 pointed out, do not like spam. This is when a user goes down the line of posts, liking every single post regardless of what is says or its content. It isn't really that annoying, but it doesn't reward the efforts of the users who posts it as much as an isolated like does.
  • Finally, do not like your own content. I mean, make an alternative account, like your own posts, and boost your likes. This is lame and shows little to no real effort. This includes employing your friends to come and like all your statuses to boost up your likes.
I hope I enlightened someone today, or at least wrote an interesting thread!

I think it is appropriate to say: Like this thread if you like the thread!!! :D

-Demon

Last edited:

Livsfudge

Survivor
Reaction score
I guess this deserves a like!

Very true, I sometimes see people who make really dumb threads and then get a lot of likes. Kind of odd to be honest.

Whatever, Nice post!!!

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score

Livsfudge

Survivor
Reaction score
what Livsfudge said but yea. I didn't really want to say that because some people find inappropriate or troll jokes funny and honestly while you can laugh at them fine I don't feel they are worthy of a like...

Almost? Tell me so I can fix it! I am always open to new opinions!

No like though? :p
Thank you!

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
I'm curious as to if I should change anything or not?

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't address like spamming.
I don't know I don't see it as that much of a problem I guess... Do you mean like spamming as in someone who just goes down a thread liking everything or someone who makes an alternative account to like their own stuff? Both are strange. Will add.
Edit: I fixed it! You get a tag too :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci