• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Priority for MCSG2: Lag Compensation

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
I'm taking a break until the new plugin is done; lag is the single most frustrating part of this game and it's steadily gotten worse. When I ping a server via the command prompt and get a response time that's a full 150ms faster than the response I get via MC, something is wrong. That said, I'd suggest that a lot of attention be paid to lag compensation in the new version if it's at all possible. Hit detection right now is very, very inconsistent, meaning if there's any reasonable amount of lag, you have a 50/50 chance of being invincible or completely screwed in a fight. I can swing constantly directly in front of me, yet players can charge directly into my line of attack and hit me while remaining unharmed. To rephrase, I'm basically holding a sword straight out, and they're running smack into it without being hurt because of nonexistent lag compensation.

tl;dr: If possible, please work on lag compensation before releasing v2.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
I know what you mean with with using ping and connecting to a server using command prompt to test your ms.

Mine is supposed to be 200 yet I get triple the amount on MC.

And I also understand we're you are coming from in the invincible lag and what so ever, it's like you can hit them, but they can't hit you and the next game the tables have turned. I do not understand it. :/

Iced94

Survivor
Reaction score
What servers do you play on? As I'm from England so I play EU, but lag a lot, I went on CA last night and got no lag, so maybe try using CA or US if you use EU as EU seems to lag a lot for some reason.

Iced94

Survivor
Reaction score
Mojang is mostly to blame for a lot of lag issues, hopefully in 1.5 it will improve.
I doubt that highly, I do not lag at all on CA but I do on EU, it is either the users internet connection (Or PC specs if FPS lag) or the servers. I think the EU servers are buggy at the moment as they lag for nearly everyone but CA doesn't but EU is closer to me, hopefully will be fixed with MCSG v2

Pvaatn

Survivor
Reaction score
I doubt that highly, I do not lag at all on CA but I do on EU, it is either the users internet connection (Or PC specs if FPS lag) or the servers. I think the EU servers are buggy at the moment as they lag for nearly everyone but CA doesn't but EU is closer to me, hopefully will be fixed with MCSG v2
I'm the same with the CA servers, but I try to play US as much as possible and it's just retarded. I just rage quit after 4 lag related deaths. I think I'll have to stick to the CA servers.

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
I'm in NY playing on the US servers via a 10/1 cable connection with FPS to spare. Thing is, it's not just me - if anyone who lags plays, it screws everything up. Most games have some form of lag compensation in their code specifically because of this, and in a game where melee combat is most of the action, lag just wrecks it.

Antster360

District 13
Reaction score
I'm in NY playing on the US servers via a 10/1 cable connection with FPS to spare. Thing is, it's not just me - if anyone who lags plays, it screws everything up. Most games have some form of lag compensation in their code specifically because of this, and in a game where melee combat is most of the action, lag just wrecks it.
Well servers are hosted in Arizona. And we have been getting some DDoS Lately since like Jan 10, 2013 we have been getting random lag spikes due to DDoS'ers

Iced94

Survivor
Reaction score
Try the CA servers, trust me, they are AMAZING.

Lhos

Survivor
Reaction score
Try the CA servers, trust me, they are AMAZING.
I'll give them a shot, though my point is still that anyone with a poor connection has a serious impact on gameplay.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
NY, as in, New York? Or something else? :p
The CA servers are probably better if you are in the east coast of the US.

About the ping differences though: Minecraft has this stupid tendency to give a ping amount that is usually far off and higher than it really should be. If you have any more than one server in your server list at a time, the numbers tend to be extremely inaccurate, as Minecraft is calculating the ping assuming you were establishing a connection to both servers, not just the one, which you would only one if you were actually connected to it.
That aside - As Antster said, there has been some DDoS'ing recently, which has probably been a factor in all this. Some person/people have decided it would be fun to DDoS the servers. Sadly, you'll have to put up with that until they give up.

All that aside, I'd try the CA servers if you normally play US. It'll usually be faster if you're in the east coast.

Pvaatn

Survivor
Reaction score
I'll give them a shot, though my point is still that anyone with a poor connection has a serious impact on gameplay.
I suppose that's true enough, realistically it's the proximity to the servers. I only want to play on american servers because then I can see my leaderboard rank (which is bad). Living near Toronto in Canada, and connecting to the Arizona US servers, I'm going to have a bad time.

Point - Give us leaderboard rankings for CA servers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci