• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

PING EQUALIZER. 'NUFF SAID.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Please note that this Feature Suggestion may not be for those who don't understand the terms involved. Proxy servers, ping, latency, packets, region, servers, etc.
If you don't understand what's going on, then please do not leave a negative comment for that sole reason. If you don't know what the heck you're reading, then either get someone knowledgeable to explain it to you, Google it, or leave this page.
I don't want negative feedback just because people don't understand the subject or the way that I explained it.
I'm only human, and I'm not an expert on this subject myself, but I believe that I have a sufficient understanding of the topic - enough to create this Feature Suggestion. I apologize if there's any confusion as to what I tried to explain. There's a comment section for a reason!

Ping.
It's a big thing, to many people. As in... a large number. :p
To others, it's a major factor, as in something that gives them a competitive edge.

After living in South Florida for my entire MCSG/MCG career thus far, I can totally sympathize with people who have high ping, but still want to play the game in a competitive way. I used to do that.

So, let's get cracking. The title says "PING EQUALIZER. 'NUFF SAID."
But what does that actually mean?

Here you go:
This "Ping Equalizer" is a system where there are multiple proxy servers that lead to a single main server.
The individual proxies are located around the specified region - for example, North America. There could be one proxy in Arizona, one proxy in Washington (State), and another one in Virginia or wherever the Canadian servers were previously located.
Players would log into the region, (ex: us.mcgamer.net) and automatically be connected to the nearest proxy. If they lived in South California, for example, they'd be connected to the Arizona-based proxy.

Then, those proxy servers ("sub-regions") would all connect to a single location (for that overall region). The main server.

From here, there's two options:
Option A: The main server is located alongside one of the existing "proxy" servers. That "proxy" server would actually be the main server, but with a built-in system that delays the data by a certain pre-determined amount of milliseconds, in order to compensate for the delay in receiving data from the other proxies in the region.
Any proxy that is closer to the main server than another proxy could have, yet again, a pre-determined delay in order to make up for the imbalance.

Option B: The main server is located in a place that is a roughly equal distance to all of the proxy servers. This would be a stand-alone server that no one (except for the proxy servers themselves, or devs/admins) directly connects to.
Each proxy server would connect to the main server. Due to the near-equal distance, this would make it so that neither sub-region has a distinct advantage over another.

Due to this system, there would not be any proxy (or "sub-region") that has an advantage over another, such as how West-coasters currently have a slight advantage over East-coasters due to their lower ping.
Although this system would make things slightly more fair, there would still be differences in ping due to the distance between the individual computers and proxy. However, this would be much less significant when compared to the previous cross-country gaps.

Another type of "Ping Equalizer" system is one where the server determines each player's ping/connection speed, and adds a small delay to the connection to the players with the lowest ping (fastest speed)
This would, as a result, make it so that players with lower ping have less of an "unfair advantage" over the players with a greater distance for their packets to travel.
This is an alternate version of the system that was said to be used by DotA 1 in competitive games.
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=75107 (as well as other sources)

Why this is necessary and/or highly beneficial:
With the removal of the Canadian region, East Coast players no longer have a region that they can connect to with less lag. As a South Floridian myself, I would actually get nearly identical ping to both the US and CA regions, with neither of them being particularly good options. Having, say, four or five proxies within the US region (and, of course, a suitable amount of proxies within other regions such as EU) would balance things out quite significantly.

For competitive players, having an equal playing field is crucial. Although people who have lower ping absolutely relish and enjoy their advantage, there are many potentially skillful players who aren't able to reach their maximum potential simply because they live farther away. This has always been an issue, and will continue to be a problem unless resolved through something such as a ping equalizer.

Almost all major esports hold their highest-level games on a very tight, minimal-lag system such as LAN. Why? Because they want the playing field to be as even as possible.
One notable reason that South Korea is known for their competitive gaming scene is because almost all of their servers are close to the players. With a dense population, they generally have much lower, more balanced ping, and so skilled players are able to achieve new heights there.

There are many more merits to a ping equalizer. Even if none of my suggested ideas are used or viable, I strongly recommend that the Developers look into something that will serve a similar function - to level the playing field.

If you're trying to nurture both a competitive scene and a young teen/kid-friendly video game server, then you need to make it fair and balanced.

Sawk

Diamond
Reaction score
Congrats for the effort, many of these ideas seems really good, lets hope

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
knowing mcsg this will take 2 months to implement
My best guess for a timeline is the following:
One month to get executive approval
Three to four months to initial setup
One month for testing
Release date
Two months for bug-fixes and smoothing out issues
Another three months for setting this up for all of MCGamer's regions

But then again, you're pretty darn right - MCGamer does have a thing for potatoes.

J

District 13
Reaction score
The forum god is back ;)
Anyways, this sounds like an amazing idea Alex, only problem is the time it takes and the potential cost of it as well :/

EDIT: I noticed that you pointed out that people living far away can't put out their maximum skill while playing, this is totally true and I think that with the people already living close to our proxy server right now, they could also improve if this does happen as every player is able to play at their best making less skilled players improve too.

Dank420

Experienced
Reaction score
The forum god is back ;)
Anyways, this sounds like an amazing idea Alex, only problem is the time it takes and the potential cost of it as well :/
because merging with antvenom and adding the weird server system would cost less money than this

Reactions: J

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score
To be honest I didn't even read the thread. But welcome back Alex c:

subtato

District 13
Reaction score
I've got a few specific reasons why this is a terrible idea. I'll explain it later tomorrow or Friday in much more technical detail and evidence (the wonders of being a technical "ISP"!), whenever I'm much more awake.
tl;dr of it will be: proxy goes down, it'll disconnect a lot of players, but we can reroute players. proxy has bad routes, but is online, we can't redirect players because we don't know it's a bad route -- all players on proxy are going to have a bad time (lag, terrible ping, etc.).

Dank420

Experienced
Reaction score
I've got a few specific reasons why this is a terrible idea. I'll explain it later tomorrow or Friday in much more technical detail and evidence (the wonders of being a technical "ISP"!), whenever I'm much more awake.
tl;dr of it will be: proxy goes down, it'll disconnect a lot of players, but we can reroute players. proxy has bad routes, but is online, we can't redirect players because we don't know it's a bad route -- all players on proxy are going to have a bad time (lag, terrible ping, etc.).
It's 3 AM and I'm tired as hell, but I think that it could work.

Seeing as how, it would basically be forcing a VPN/proxy server into MCSG, to even out everyone's ping.

subtato

District 13
Reaction score
It's 3 AM and I'm tired as hell, but I think that it could work.

Seeing as how, it would basically be forcing a VPN/proxy server into MCSG, to even out everyone's ping.
Short version, prior to my massive post I've got partially written out, the problem ends up being that if there's bad routes (I'll explain later), we can't detect that very easily. We can detect if a proxy goes down though. With the bad routes, everyone starts lagging, dropping connection, etc.
It's not uncommon for a provider to have network issues from Point A to Point B, especially over certain routes. The beauty of your home connection is that you'll likely route around these issues very quickly. However, sometimes datacenters are slower about this and end up continuously receiving packet loss over a certain route. I'll go into detail with this bit tomorrow/Friday, explaining why this happens, and how it'll affect the network negatively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci