• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

New Maps & The Map Committee

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 50/50

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
J

Joel/MadDawg

This map update did puzzle me a bit. They removed popular maps (Wyverns and Fortune) before hated and never-played maps (Fallen and Destiny). And while I do think that Wyverns and Fortune deserve to be removed, it confuses me that they were removed in front of these other maps. As for the maps being added, I was simply shocked. No Discovery Works map? How could that be; they've made (in my opinion) some of the best SG maps of all time. Plus, there was no huge community desire for Ancient Japan or Breeze 2. I agree with you in that the Community should play a much bigger role in the map selection, so that unliked map updates like this one won't happen in the future.

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
It said this post tagged me? Lolwut
Tagged then untagged coz yolo
This map update did puzzle me a bit. They removed popular maps (Wyverns and Fortune) before hated and never-played maps (Fallen and Destiny). And while I do think that Wyverns and Fortune deserve to be removed, it confuses me that they were removed in front of these other maps. As for the maps being added, I was simply shocked. No Discovery Works map? How could that be; they've made (in my opinion) some of the best SG maps of all time. Plus, there was no huge community desire for Ancient Japan or Breeze 2. I agree with you in that the Community should play a much bigger role in the map selection, so that unliked map updates like this one won't happen in the future.
I agree, they randomly add breeze 2 when no one asked for it and they havn't posted any reason why they didn't add the Discovery Works map, when their maps where clearly the most wanted.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
This is just what I think. I think the Map Committee is just adding map from other known map builders or from people that have submitted a lot of maps before.

I was also expecting SG Venezia to be added and I was shocked it wasn't hence the map is gorgeous and, personally way better than those 3 map that where added.

As always, I think MCSG is ignoring our opinion and adds whatever they want.

Reaction score
While I don't agree with this 100%; I don't think you should go purely off the poll as there can be a large discrepancy between the presented quality and the actual quality of the map (I would probably put my own map in that category). What I do think is that the Map Committee was meant to improve the system by which maps are added to the servers but they have in fact made it worse; the previous system was far better than this as it didn't allow for so much bias.

If the map committee continue as they are, and ignore the high quality maps on the forums, then map makers will stop making maps (or make them for different communities) as they will see that mcsg has no interest in the maps on the forums. This would most definitely not be a good thing (This is the thought process that I am undergoing at the moment as a map maker myself; I see that there is a much higher chance that other communities will accept my maps if they are of high quality)

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
While I don't agree with this 100%; I don't think you should go purely off the poll as there can be a large discrepancy between the presented quality and the actual quality of the map (I would probably put my own map in that category). What I do think is that the Map Committee was meant to improve the system by which maps are added to the servers but they have in fact made it worse; the previous system was far better than this as it didn't allow for so much bias.

If the map committee continue as they are, and ignore the high quality maps on the forums, then map makers will stop making maps (or make them for different communities) as they will see that mcsg has no interest in the maps on the forums. This would most definitely not be a good thing (This is the thought process that I am undergoing at the moment as a map maker myself; I see that there is a much higher chance that other communities will accept my maps if they are of high quality)
While I agree that you shouldn't add a map just based on the poll, if you look at this:
Maps added:
  • Wind of Change 60% Yes
  • Ancient Japan N.A.
  • Breeze Island 2 N.A. (I thought they said no more breezes?)
  • Boombeards Battle N.A.
  • The Lobby Games N.A.
  • Forsaken Ascension N.A.
  • Fallen Haven 45% Yes (Practically Useless poll)
Potential maps to be added
  • SG Venezia (No poll but the most liked map with 99 likes)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Survival 82% Yes
  • Underground Kingdoms 88% Yes
  • Trophaem 82% Yes
  • Alluring Isle 86% yes
  • Waterfall Resort 86% yes
It clearly shows that they're not adding any maps with a high poll percentage, instead choosing to go with other maps, with no poll.
Because they have been doing this, lots more maps that they've adding have been removed quickly after, as the community obviously don't like this. The only maps they have added with a poll, the "Yes" Percentage has been shockingly low and "Coincidently" these two maps were both Red Forest/owner of Red Forest maps.
I agree with you when you say, map makers will start to stop making maps.
If even SGVenezia doesn't get in, with all the builds on that map, then I don't know what can.

Thanks for your review, I'll take it into account and update the OP.

Dah_Hobbit

District 13
Reaction score
There actually was community desire to have ancient Japan. Ulthar made a petition thread and it got about 80-90 votes ( I don't know exact ammount).

Reaction score
If there was poll in game, none of the new members knew this map. And once the glitch is fixed, I think most people will like it.
Did you try to say:"If there was a poll in game, none of the new members would know this map. And once the glitch is fixed, I think most people will like it."?

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
There actually was community desire to have ancient Japan. Ulthar made a petition thread and it got about 80-90 votes ( I don't know exact ammount).
Some maps have 200+ votes, and even though 80-90 said yes, there wasn't a "no option"

Ps. I love Ancient Japan, but it's unfair for over maps who have more votes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci