• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My solution to the controversial topic "deleting evidence"

Do you agree with this idea?

• Yes.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

Sean

District 13
Reaction score
Hello people of MCGamer, it's late at night and I want to go sleep so sorry for any gramaticle errors/ lack of detail.

So anyway back in track. As we all know (well anyone who has read the rules) deleting evidence will get you permemtly removed from the network. The reasoning behind this is because basically you are allowing rule breakers roam free if they file a suceccsfull ban dispute which they probably will if there is no evidence. While yes this is fair it is also a bit harsh in my opinion.

This is why I am bringing forward my solution. The solution is simple the user that delets the evidence gets the same length ban as the user who was originally banned. I will give a few examples.

User 1 reports user 2 for hacking, the report is successfull and user 2 is banned for 7 days. User 2 decides to dispute the ban and when the Sr Staff are reviewing the dispute they notice the evidence has been removed. Therefore user 1 gets a 7 day ban.

Pretty simple ehhh? The same would apply for any length if a ban, perm, 3 day what ever.

Now to the question what if they remove evidence again, is there an increased sanction? This is where the perm ban should take place, for the users second offence.

So guys there you have it, my idea. Discuss bellow your opinion on my solution. It would also be great to hear some if the staffs opinions on my solution.

Thanks for reading. Good night!

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
This idea is actually quite nice! But for a user2 that was perm banned, maybe give user1 a 7 day ban or 2 week ban for first offence?

EricParazak

Tommy Wiseau
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea! A lot better than getting perm-banned for this. I can see why it's a perm-ban, but this solution should make things a lot easier.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
A lot of this has controversy has come from people disputing months after there ban was given. I say it is a 7 day 1st offense and permaban 2nd offense for deleting evidence within a month of the report. After a month, they are no longer obligated to keep the video on Youtube. The banned user has had plenty of time to dispute, and they can no longer dispute their ban if the evidence was deleted. If the staff feel that they need the evidence longer, they can screen record the video, so they have it on record. It is unfair to hold someone who was trying to help the community accountable for a video months after. What if they delete their channel and forget about the video?

Last edited:

Devblock

Survivor
Reaction score
Ehh, sorry, but I am failing to realize how this system is any better, if at all.

Basing a user's ban based off of someone else's prior offenses and current ban length is, in its simplest connotation, a silly idea. Technically, you could be permabanned on a first offense, or permabanned on a seventh offense, which I find to be a bit of an awkward system.

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
I like it but it leads me to the question, what if they give you the evidence on teamspeak?

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, the permanent ban for removing evidence is completely fair and well-deserved for people who do remove evidence. It's not like you have to pay for each video that you have on your YouTube account.

Sean

District 13
Reaction score
I like it but it leads me to the question, what if they give you the evidence on teamspeak?
I don't fully understand what you mean here, wouldn't giving you the evidence on teamspeak be the same as making a report abuse?

In my personal opinion, the permanent ban for removing evidence is completely fair and well-deserved for people who do remove evidence. It's not like you have to pay for each video that you have on your YouTube account.
I get where you are coming from Devin, as they are causing a lot of unneeded work for the Sr Staff/ getting rule breakers un banned. But the reality behind it is that the majority of users who sign onto the network have not read the rules and is the deleting evidence rules is not an obvious rule such as don't hack or spam. Therefore it seems a bit of a heavy punishment towards a user. I know that by using any of MCGamers services you agree to the rules but lets be honest here. How many people actually read the rules, not many.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
What if the deleting if evidence is accidental? e.g YouTube channel shutting down, copyright strikes, accounts hacked, something like that.

I'm not trying to sound rude here, but let's set up a scene. A user(user 1) reports another user for hacking, (user 2). User 1 then deletes the video for no known malicious reason. He could have been cleaning out his channel, some obscure reason, or it there could have been a reason like I stated above like it was deleted on accident (keep in mind that user 1 is not keenly aware of this rule, there is no reminder of this in the report abuse section, and it is almost at the very bottom of the rules, which user 1 read and agreed to). User 2 was banned for a week, and wants to dispute his ban about a week after he was unbanned just so he can have a clean slate and apply for mod possibly in the future, so he submits a ban dispute.

Luckily for our friend user 2 over here, he gets unbanned because his evidence no longer exists (or, the Sr. Staff will uphold the ban cause they've seen the evidence before it was deleted and can remember if the user was clearly hacking). Either way, user 1 is permanently banned from the network for deleting evidence. He can never play MCSG again because he got somebody unbanned on ACCIDENT who was going to be unbanned anyway.

Now let's say user 2 was permanently banned for hacking and the same situation takes place and he gets unbanned/upheld and user 1 is now permanently banned, as per the rules. While this may be deserved, it's slightly harsh because it's not a federal law that he's broken (which is the only other first offense perm-ban besides mass disrespect), and he was never given a second chance like every other offense here at the MCGamer network.

I rest my case, please take this into consideration.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My opinion on this is pretty much that you need a second chance. I get why it's such a big problem, but so is hacking, and that is something people do deliberately and know they are harming the server in doing so. In 99% of cases deleting evidence is accidental and the people doing it are trying to help the server. If it warrants a first-time permanent ban then so should hacking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci