• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Moderators Lock Threads Way To Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMangoTiger

Platinum
Reaction score
Well I agree with you. In my opinion locking threads should only be done when completely necessary, rather than just when a thread seems to be dying. I've noticed this happening a few times. Why should that 1 person decide the thread is 'dying'? Someone else could come along the next day with a perfectly valid point to add but they can't bc the thread is locked :( (happened to me a few times :c)

For example someone was asking for a link to a certain post on a thread from a few years ago. I thought I would be able to find it but I scroll down the thread has been locked for 'inactivity' (or something along those lines). This thread was only around 2 days old and there hadn't been a reply in around 24 hours.... I found the link he was looking for but had to send it in a pm instead(no point wasting more time trying to get it unlocked). I know this seems like nothing but there was really no need to lock the thread.

Other examples include, like you've mentioned, when threads are locked for 'flame' or 'locked because this will never be added'. Firstly usually the 'flame' they talk about is usually a good discussion where people are bringing up valid points to create an actually interesting thread (something difficult to find sometimes). Also, why lock things because the suggestion will 'never happen on this network'. 1.7 being brought back was never going to happen, so was solo sg and look where we are now xD. And just because we discuss things doesn't mean they will actually ever be added, but that's what the forums are for!!

All I'm saying is mods should be more open and have their owns opinions, don't just support everything thats added and lock anything suggesting change or bringing up negatives about mcgamer. It doesn't happen that often and yes I know a lot of thread are locked for the right reasons, so sorry if this sounded super ranty, but I just want the forums to be a place of discussion, not a place where people are afraid to give their honest opinions because they think the thread will be locked. :p

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
I actually agree, besides the 'timely' things like suggestions that have nothing else to add on to/add in to the feature, I think that any suggestions always have the possibility to be rediscussed, even if they are old…but that brings up a question…

What is repetitive discussion, and what is a new idea?

This really matters in deleting a thread because it's repetitive/non-applicable. We might look at a 'quantum' scale and say that every changed word in each person's 'repetitive' post changes the outcome…but these are forum posts, I doubt many people think that in depth into independent posts, but if we say that new posts to an older one are non-applicable just because everyone else's posts are old, then that's kind of shutting down ideas because people didn't want to make a whole new thread, get called out for repetition, and then nothing happens on that thread.

We've gone down both paths, and both have led to inefficiency with discussions, there has to be another way…

TotalDramaTony

District 13
Reaction score
Hey. If you have an issue with a Moderator, please report it to Senior Staff, do not mention names, or try to publicly insult a staff member.

Racervina

Tribute
Reaction score
My last thread was just the perfect example! It was meant to be a serious discussion, but no, locked immediately.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
In certain cases I agree. Discussion should not be stifled because of a small argument and we as moderators need to take unbiased approaches to determining if a thread should be locked or not.

We shouldn't necessarily lock threads of they have the potential to cause flame, only if they do end up causing flame (unless it's something blatantly disrespectful)

The only exception is things like QA;TLs. If the question is answred, the thread becomes mostly irrelevant and if the ossue arises again and someone cannot find the answer, they can always ask the question again :)

I

Platinum
Reaction score
Gecko lock thread? This person is talking badly about mcgaem nework moder staffs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci