• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCSG Tips and Tricks - Defensive and Offensive Tactics (Remake 1.8)

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
Hello fellow tributes! Welcome to a tutorial on each of each styles, and at the end you will be able to choose your prefered playing style.

That Offensive Playing Style

Before I go on, I would like you to know I'm doing each weapon separately with out other weapons. For example, when I talk about the sword, I won't talk about combos with the fishing rod until I reach the fishing rod section.

Sword

Playing offensive with the sword usually means running toward your opponent with the intent to combo lock him with your sword. (This can be maximized with a fishing rod, which I will discuss later on.) When playing offensive with your sword you want to click fast and at an angle. Attacking at an angle will make you harder to hit so you will take less damage.

To increase your attack damage, you want to pull of some crits. Also known as Critical Hits, this special kind of hit will increase your sword damage up to 50 percent. Crits can be preformed after you jump and when you are FALLING. Crits will not happen when you are just jumping contrary to popular belief.

Cons
  • When you jump to get a critical hit, many good players will hit you in the air, effectively locking you in a combo. If your opponent can time when he hits you in the air, then you will be in very big trouble.
  • Always be careful when you block-hit. Blocking in general slows down you movement, so you are VERY vulnerable to good strafers.
Different Strafes or Combo Methods

In 1.8 combos are significantly easier to pull of with just a sword. These are different combo mechanics that are devastating with a rod.

Circle Strafing

A-D Combos

Reduced Knockback Combos

Fishing Rod

The fishing rod is a weapon used to easily create combos and locks. The mechanics work by creating stuns every time you hit them with the hook. This gives you a window of time to hit them while they are stunned. This is called the fishing rod stun, or the fishing rod tactic. Like the sword you can also play offensive and defensive with this weapon.

Offensive Rod

The Offensive Rod is when you come to your foe to fight. This fight is usually opened with 1-2 rod stuns to get the first few makings of a combo.

Pros

• The combo rate is a higher rate than defensive
  • Flint and Steels are easier to incorporate in battles
  • Huahwi flint and steels work fabulously with this style
  • Enemies will have a harder time to escape when they are low

Cons
  • Its more difficult to escape if things go south
  • Its easier to get caught of guard by other players
  • Experienced defensive rod players MAY have an advantage over offensive players mainly because Defensive Rod players can incorporate all their secondaries.
Popular Offensive Players

Forcehacks: https://www.youtube.com/user/ForceHacksMC
ItsAustennn: https://www.youtube.com/user/ItsAustennn

Here is an example the offensive rod style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEEDgojWIQ

The Defensive Playing Style

This style involves COUNTERING your foe. Instead of coming to your opponent, you wait for him to come to you, and jump on his mistakes.

Sword

Playing defensive with the sword is countering your opponent by hitting him at the opposite angle then he is approaching. After a few hits, you back up and repeat this process again, until your foe is low enough to go in and finish it.

When your foe comes in the attack with crits you are able to combo lock him in the air as he jumps. This takes lots of practice, but the pay-off is well worth it. If you are able to do this, crits are inferior to regular strafing. How this works is when you are hit in MineCraft, you freeze and turn red. While you are frozen, this gives your foe a chance to hit you again, also called a DOUBLE HIT. You may have heard of youtubers talking about double hits, and this is the actual mechanics behind it.

Terrain
When fighting a foe, you want to judge if you want the high ground or the low ground. The high ground gives you an advantage to knock your foe off the mountain or hill, but low ground you receive a wider hitbox. This means that your foe will get less hits on you because he gets a smaller hitbox on you. If you think that knocking someone off a cliff or mountain will kill them, I recommend high ground. If you know you won't be killed by fall, go for low ground. In the water, low ground ALWAYS wins.

Defensive Fishing Rod

Defensive Rod is waiting for the opponent to come toward you, and when he does, you rod him back a few blocks. This gives you a chance to get 1-2 hits before backing up again. Repeat this cycle until the other player is low enough to go in, and finish the fight.

Pros

• Its Excellent counter against impatient players
  • Combined with good connection or experience=OP
  • If you fail, you have a higher chance to escape
  • You are able to incorporate your bow very easily
  • The famous fishing rod quick switch to FnS, is an amazing strategy to use in this style
Cons
  • If your rod does not hit, then it gives your foe a free hit
  • It gives your foe more time to escape when they are low
  • Good bow users are very effective against defensive rod
Popular Defensive Players

Egrodo: http://www.youtube.com/user/Egrodo1
MikeTV: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_FKAm23J4WNomqIOjnb5Q
Biboyqg: https://www.youtube.com/user/BiboyQG

An amazing example of defensive rod is Gaxriexz (Skip to 3:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKXVzlZycc

Passive-Aggressive Weapons

These weapons are both defensive and offensive and can not fall in a specific category. These weapons are the Flint n Steel and the Bow. When you lit someone up with the flint and steel, you are both attacking AND defending. The bow attacks and causes knockback which is also defensive. Therefore these weapons are Passive-Aggressive.

The Bow

The bow is a very critical part of pvp ever since day 1. This weapon always you to attack from a long distance with no other risk of being hit. (Unless at close range to bow spam.) Also, a full charged bow is the same as a diamond sword with 1/2 a heart more.

To be good at the bow, you need to learn how to predict where your foe is going to move next. Once you learn the popular ways to players move to dodge arrows, you are able to pull off amazing far shots.

With the Bow there are 3 different charges or drawbacks. I have explained them below.

Single Drawback

This charge deals a slight amount of knockback and a half of heart of damage. Personally, I only use it to get out of corners or when I need to run away.

Double Drawback

This charge is more popularly used in combos and to deal quick easy damage. Each shot does about 1-2 hearts of damage.

Full Drawback

When fully drawn back, this causes the same amount of damage of a diamond sword. When fighting good players, I recommend fully charging your bow.
When going against good bow users, I recommend turning on your hitboxes by pressing fn+f3+b. This makes arrows and other players much easier to see. Therefore this means that dodging arrows is much easier.

If you can't dodge the arrows, there is always the option of blocking arrows. This will reduce the arrows damage to half.

Good Bow Users

Linkdude1997: http://www.youtube.com/user/Linkdude1997
darkrai202: http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkraiMCSG

Flint and Steel

This special item is a game changing item. Once lighted up, the fire will do damage for 8 ticks, doing half a heart each. This is an extra 3.5 hearts damage gone from your enemy, and also slows them down for you to catch up to them. This item has been incorporated in many combos often completely destroying the foe. This can also be due to the fact that once you are lighted up, the fire will take up 3/4's of your screen IF you are using default texture pack. (or any other pack that doesn't have low fire.)

Flint and Steel is popular for taking out more skilled players, more stacked players, and teams. Flint and Steel is needed to fight teams for many reasons. One of those being once you light up a teammate, you can run away usually not getting hit if timed right. Free 3.5 hearts, and 0 damage received. I'll take that.

General Tips
  • Play on a fov higher than Normal, because this speeds up game play and gives you a wider perspective.
  • Play smart and safe. When you see a team of 2 thats stacked, don't just run in and YOLO. Think out a plan and then engage.
Flint and Steel General Tips

There are many ways to flint and steel, and you can choose which one you like the best.

Huahwi Flint and Steel

This flint and steel is first move in a battle. When you and your opponent are running at each other, place a fire a couple blocks in front of you so that he will run into it. This allows you to attack and defend.

NoahSailor Fire (Unexpected Fire.)

This tactic is when being chased, you stop and place a fire in front of you. The foe will then run into it and its a free fire hit.

360 Fire

This tactic is one of the most difficult fire tactic to learn. When you are jumping in the air, you 360 and place a fire behind you. You actually place the fire at the 180, but you keep rotating until you are facing the direction you were originally. The best part of this, is that you don't waste any time at all turning at all, because if you did it right, you should have just spun in the air for less than a second.

Jumping Fire

When your foe is close behind you, you jump and place the fire underneath you, and then complete the jump. This is very hard to do without lighting yourself up.

This montage has every flint and steel trick I mentioned.

I SUCK AT MCSG, BUT THIS KNOWLEDGE IS BASED OFF WATCHING OTHER PVPERS IN THE TOP 1000.

I hope you learned something from this and yes I used my other thread about rods in this thread as well.

Feel free to add insight, but no flame plz. :D

Last edited:

ThaLichBD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay ill bring a Mod and give this Guide tittle....Nice Guide by the way thanks for the tips :D im sure I will use them in my future MCSG games.

NagolGames

ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ / ʀᴇɢɪꜱᴛᴇʀᴇᴅ ɴᴜʀꜱᴇ
Reaction score
Amazing forum post! You obviously put in a lot of time and effort into this post!

Well done!

NagolGames

JoePNG

Platinum
Reaction score
My post helped people, but this is just... wow. Thank you for these tips!

Divining

Platinum
Reaction score
Hello fellow tributes! Welcome to a tutorial on each of each styles, and at the end you will be able to choose your prefered playing style.

That Offensive Playing Style

Before I go on, I would like you to know I'm doing each weapon separately with out other weapons. For example, when I talk about the sword, I won't talk about combos with the fishing rod until I reach the fishing rod section.

Sword

Playing offensive with the sword usually means running toward your opponent with the intent to combo lock him with your sword. (This can be maximized with a fishing rod, which I will discuss later on.) When playing offensive with your sword you want to click fast and at an angle. Attacking at an angle will make you harder to hit so you will take less damage.

To increase your attack damage, you want to pull of some crits. Also known as Critical Hits, this special kind of hit will increase your sword damage up to 50 percent. Crits can be preformed after you jump and when you are FALLING. Crits will not happen when you are just jumping contrary to popular belief.

Cons
  • When you jump to get a critical hit, many good players will hit you in the air, effectively locking you in a combo. If your opponent can time when he hits you in the air, then you will be in very big trouble.
  • Always be careful when you block-hit. Blocking in general slows down you movement, so you are VERY vulnerable to good strafers.
Different Strafes or Combo Methods

In 1.8 combos are significantly easier to pull of with just a sword. These are different combo mechanics that are devastating with a rod.
Circle Strafing

A-D Combos

Reduced Knockback Combos

Fishing Rod

The fishing rod is a weapon used to easily create combos and locks. The mechanics work by creating stuns every time you hit them with the hook. This gives you a window of time to hit them while they are stunned. This is called the fishing rod stun, or the fishing rod tactic. Like the sword you can also play offensive and defensive with this weapon.

Offensive Rod

The Offensive Rod is when you come to your foe to fight. This fight is usually opened with 1-2 rod stuns to get the first few makings of a combo.

Pros

• The combo rate is a higher rate than defensive
  • Flint and Steels are easier to incorporate in battles
  • Huahwi flint and steels work fabulously with this style
  • Enemies will have a harder time to escape when they are low

Cons
  • Its more difficult to escape if things go south
  • Its easier to get caught of guard by other players
  • Experienced defensive rod players MAY have an advantage over offensive players mainly because Defensive Rod players can incorporate all their secondaries.
Popular Offensive Players

Forcehacks: https://www.youtube.com/user/ForceHacksMC
ItsAustennn: https://www.youtube.com/user/ItsAustennn

Here is an example the offensive rod style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEEDgojWIQ

The Defensive Playing Style

This style involves COUNTERING your foe. Instead of coming to your opponent, you wait for him to come to you, and jump on his mistakes.

Sword

Playing defensive with the sword is countering your opponent by hitting him at the opposite angle then he is approaching. After a few hits, you back up and repeat this process again, until your foe is low enough to go in and finish it.

When your foe comes in the attack with crits you are able to combo lock him in the air as he jumps. This takes lots of practice, but the pay-off is well worth it. If you are able to do this, crits are inferior to regular strafing. How this works is when you are hit in MineCraft, you freeze and turn red. While you are frozen, this gives your foe a chance to hit you again, also called a DOUBLE HIT. You may have heard of youtubers talking about double hits, and this is the actual mechanics behind it.

Terrain
When fighting a foe, you want to judge if you want the high ground or the low ground. The high ground gives you an advantage to knock your foe off the mountain or hill, but low ground you receive a wider hitbox. This means that your foe will get less hits on you because he gets a smaller hitbox on you. If you think that knocking someone off a cliff or mountain will kill them, I recommend high ground. If you know you won't be killed by fall, go for low ground. In the water, low ground ALWAYS wins.

Defensive Fishing Rod

Defensive Rod is waiting for the opponent to come toward you, and when he does, you rod him back a few blocks. This gives you a chance to get 1-2 hits before backing up again. Repeat this cycle until the other player is low enough to go in, and finish the fight.

Pros

• Its Excellent counter against impatient players
  • Combined with good connection or experience=OP
  • If you fail, you have a higher chance to escape
  • You are able to incorporate your bow very easily
  • The famous fishing rod quick switch to FnS, is an amazing strategy to use in this style
Cons
  • If your rod does not hit, then it gives your foe a free hit
  • It gives your foe more time to escape when they are low
  • Good bow users are very effective against defensive rod
Popular Defensive Players

Egrodo: http://www.youtube.com/user/Egrodo1
MikeTV: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_FKAm23J4WNomqIOjnb5Q
Biboyqg: https://www.youtube.com/user/BiboyQG

An amazing example of defensive rod is Gaxriexz (Skip to 3:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKXVzlZycc

Passive-Aggressive Weapons

These weapons are both defensive and offensive and can not fall in a specific category. These weapons are the Flint n Steel and the Bow. When you lit someone up with the flint and steel, you are both attacking AND defending. The bow attacks and causes knockback which is also defensive. Therefore these weapons are Passive-Aggressive.

The Bow

The bow is a very critical part of pvp ever since day 1. This weapon always you to attack from a long distance with no other risk of being hit. (Unless at close range to bow spam.) Also, a full charged bow is the same as a diamond sword with 1/2 a heart more.

To be good at the bow, you need to learn how to predict where your foe is going to move next. Once you learn the popular ways to players move to dodge arrows, you are able to pull off amazing far shots.

With the Bow there are 3 different charges or drawbacks. I have explained them below.

Single Drawback

This charge deals a slight amount of knockback and a half of heart of damage. Personally, I only use it to get out of corners or when I need to run away.

Double Drawback

This charge is more popularly used in combos and to deal quick easy damage. Each shot does about 1-2 hearts of damage.

Full Drawback

When fully drawn back, this causes the same amount of damage of a diamond sword. When fighting good players, I recommend fully charging your bow.
When going against good bow users, I recommend turning on your hitboxes by pressing fn+f3+b. This makes arrows and other players much easier to see. Therefore this means that dodging arrows is much easier.

If you can't dodge the arrows, there is always the option of blocking arrows. This will reduce the arrows damage to half.

Good Bow Users

Linkdude1997: http://www.youtube.com/user/Linkdude1997
darkrai202: http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkraiMCSG

Flint and Steel

This special item is a game changing item. Once lighted up, the fire will do damage for 8 ticks, doing half a heart each. This is an extra 3.5 hearts damage gone from your enemy, and also slows them down for you to catch up to them. This item has been incorporated in many combos often completely destroying the foe. This can also be due to the fact that once you are lighted up, the fire will take up 3/4's of your screen IF you are using default texture pack. (or any other pack that doesn't have low fire.)

Flint and Steel is popular for taking out more skilled players, more stacked players, and teams. Flint and Steel is needed to fight teams for many reasons. One of those being once you light up a teammate, you can run away usually not getting hit if timed right. Free 3.5 hearts, and 0 damage received. I'll take that.

General Tips
  • Play on a fov higher than Normal, because this speeds up game play and gives you a wider perspective.
  • Play smart and safe. When you see a team of 2 thats stacked, don't just run in and YOLO. Think out a plan and then engage.
Flint and Steel General Tips

There are many ways to flint and steel, and you can choose which one you like the best.

Huahwi Flint and Steel

This flint and steel is first move in a battle. When you and your opponent are running at each other, place a fire a couple blocks in front of you so that he will run into it. This allows you to attack and defend.

NoahSailor Fire (Unexpected Fire.)

This tactic is when being chased, you stop and place a fire in front of you. The foe will then run into it and its a free fire hit.

360 Fire

This tactic is one of the most difficult fire tactic to learn. When you are jumping in the air, you 360 and place a fire behind you. You actually place the fire at the 180, but you keep rotating until you are facing the direction you were originally. The best part of this, is that you don't waste any time at all turning at all, because if you did it right, you should have just spun in the air for less than a second.

Jumping Fire

When your foe is close behind you, you jump and place the fire underneath you, and then complete the jump. This is very hard to do without lighting yourself up.

This montage has every flint and steel trick I mentioned.

I SUCK AT MCSG, BUT THIS KNOWLEDGE IS BASED OFF WATCHING OTHER PVPERS IN THE TOP 1000.

I hope you learned something from this and yes I used my other thread about rods in this thread as well.

Feel free to add insight, but no flame plz. :D
Very well written and detailed guide / overall thread. I commends you on that.

Thanks for the tips. Always useful, even after almost 2 years of playing.

V3dock

Experienced
Reaction score
I don't have time to read all of it right now, but from what I have read it's Extremely helpful.

Rasclarts

Experienced
Reaction score
funny how all the sword tactics are made completely obsolete in 1.8. circlestrafing isn't relevant to mcsg style pvp anyway

also the bow section is pretty lacking, and the youtubers you linked aren't amazing at it either

Mike_

Survivor
Reaction score
Very nice guide, looks like you put a lot of effort into this. Learnt a few new things too :D

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Thread moved to Survival Games > Tips and Strategies.

I have elected not to add the "Guide" tag as it is more strategies, not a guide.

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
funny how all the sword tactics are made completely obsolete in 1.8. circlestrafing isn't relevant to mcsg style pvp anyway

also the bow section is pretty lacking, and the youtubers you linked aren't amazing at it either
Really? I didn't know that the combo tactics disappeared in 1.8! It seemed to work just fine when I tested them out and do the things they were said to do. For example, the knockback reducer seemed to reduce knockback to get me a 4 hit combo on MCSG.

You can probably tell the bow isn't really my strong suit. Perhaps you can add insight to the thread? Could you link me any other bow users that are good as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci