• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer gone downhill

Would you prefer 1.7 or 1.8 ?

Votes: 79 61.2%

Votes: 50 38.8%

• Total voters

Enlighten

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
1.8 is the version for improvement. This is something I believe a lot of people fail to see. Upgrading to 1.8 has so far brought good things to MCGamer such as the following
  • New types of spectating (including first person)
  • The ability to progress in the development of current and possible future game types.
You also have to keep in mind that some of the current bugs that you may be experiencing may not even be related to the 1.8 update. If you come across any bugs/flaws in our plugins/game types please feel free to report it on our bug tracker which can be found here. These bugs will be looked into as soon as possible. Please remember that fixing some of the more major issues may take some time. Therefore, complaining that the problem is not resolved immediately will not help the process.

Another thing to take into consideration is that people have had problems with almost every minecraft update, people felt the same way about the 1.7 update. No matter what, newer versions will always be the best version to be on. This is due to the fact that it clears more room for improvement.

Regarding the block hitting controversy, what I have to say about this issue is that I myself used the block hitting technique to better myself as a "PvPer". The fact of the matter is that it was never supposed to be in the game, therefore it was removed. If it had never been introduced in the first place people wouldn't have known anything other than only blocking and hitting.

Ceroria also had a good rebuttal to your claim. I recommend you read what he wrote and take these factors into consideration.

DaGaxriexz

Survivor
Reaction score
I love 1.8. I said this many times before that we can not stay on 1.7 forever. It is like every other update we ever had. It takes time to get use to it!

Have you been into clans? You should try cw's it ruins everything. Your sword just stops swinging out of no where which is really anoying also the blockhitting the bugs the lag the resource packs are weird? O also the rod the bow look weird. And the sword seems weird and when you shift it looks weird and if you block it looks weird AND EVERYTHING IS WEIRD AND BAD IN 1.8
(I only like the spec mode xD )

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
What I believe, and I'm not the only one, is that dates should be announced only if they will be met. How long has it even been since the LB update was promised? I can't remember.
When the Devs issue a deadline, they don't do so because the day sounds nice or because they feel lucky on certain days; they issue deadlines based on how much time they estimate the task will require. But, as I stated previously, things always come up (be it unforseen problems or higher-priority distractions (like 1.8 bugfixes, hint hint)), thus they gradually fall behind.

Again, dev work is often unpredictable, especially in a high-energy, highly-dynamic, always-online environment like a global Minecraft network. Systems break down faster if they never stop, and it's not realistic for us to expect our developers to work faster than things can break (that's like being asked to write a research paper faster than it takes for a copier to copy it). And there is no way for us to "expect the unexpected" because that requires clairvoyance and a crystal ball, which we don't have the budget for.

Beforehand, we used to just give no deadlines or even announcements until the day of the newest release; ZedChase and SGC were two examples of things that just suddenly appeared to the public on short notice. I think there are some merits to that, but also drawbacks (particularly hype. You can't get people excited for something that they don't know about nor has no deadline). So really, there is no good system for our situation, but at least with delays and deadlines we can keep it on the forefront of peoples' minds as things to come.

Mizex

Spectator
Reaction score
There isnt many developers because they only accept the best

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
This happens literally every time Minecraft gets an update. At least the game works, unlike the 1.2.5-1.3 shift... Everyone just needs time to settle down before they jump ship. The sprint button was supposed to completely ruin PvP and make the game take no skill and ruin Minecraft forever. And look where things are now.

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
I can recall back when 1.7 was fresh off the press, and everyone shared the same attitude that is expressed here. It didn't turn out bad at all, did it? Once you can get used to something, regardless of flaws or impracticalities, it ain't bad at all.

Everything is imperfect - 1.8, MCG, etcetera. While I can surrender that there are several bugs floating around that do limit 'full' gameplay, it's certainly not a reason to abandon ship so soon. As several people have already pointed out, change is inevitable, and in this particular case, it should be welcomed - 1.8 brings a truckload of neat, nifty features that can be efficiently utilised to exact gameplay quality to a level that represents the quality MCG promises. As David | xRevalize mentioned earlier:
  • New types of spectating (including first person)
  • The ability to progress in the development of current and possible future game types
The second point is important. By further delaying 1.8, it'll be impossible to not only pro-actively update these new games, but it will also prove impossible to satisfy the majority: survival games players. The community screams for updates, fixes, additions, and removals, yet it's not that easy to do it when you're working on an outdated system, is it?

The gamemodes did, indeed, bring on a slew of bugs, glitches, and misfortunes, but to say that these gamemode additions are "useless" and "take up space and time" is an egotistical, asinine statement. Nobody plays these gamemodes right now because either nobody wants to bother trying it because of all the negative things they hear about it, or they have tried it first-hand and just prefer plain ol' SG, which isn't wrong.

While some of these new games may not amount to much, there are benefits to continuing their developement. It'll bring in new players, for one. The redundancy of SG servers is becoming ludicrous, and it's just one big battle between a hundred and one different SG servers. To meet the competition head on, you have to find ways to direct and attract new players - because of the already massive and immersive SG community, the need to focus on a different personnel is crucial. The merge with AVN was, in itself, crucial. There's so many benefits to developing these gamemodes, but most people choose to focus on the negatives. Give it time, and it'll grow. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Finally, due dates. Ahh... we all get mad when they aren't kept. I'm guilty as charged, and I'm quite certain many other people are, too. As Col_StaR said:
they issue deadlines based on how much time they estimate the task will require. But, as I stated previously, things always come up (be it unforseen problems or higher-priority distractions (like 1.8 bugfixes, hint hint)), thus they gradually fall behind.
The development team is, admittedly, short-handed, and tasked with meeting the (childish?) demands of a large community - due dates will not always be kept!

What Col said was completely correct and accurate, but I feel that due dates also server another function; with how much the community whines and complains about "omg, when is this gonna be ready?", or "when will this bug be fixed?", it is extremely necessary to introduce due dates. If they don't, the community complains and gets the idea that the development team is lazy and doesn't amount to anything. On the other end of the spectrum, when they do insert a due date into the calender and involuntarily fail to meet it, the community still complains.

What all players alike have to realize is that things come up, and not everything can be met. Even in the business world will due dates be failed, however, this is particularly evident in the coding business. It's an enormous field, and there is much to study, analyse, and test. One wrong keystroke will practically render your project unusable. There isn't such a thing as a 'perfect developer/development team' who can expertly and efficiently handle and meet demands, due dates, and correctly deal with plugin malfunctions and failures in a timely fashion; it simply isn't possible. Things do come up, and testing plugins, and diagnosing and quarantining glitches isn't so easy as most think.

I was a bit shaken, too, when I heard the news about 1.8; it's safe to say most of us were. However, they scheduled an update time several weeks into the future, which should've given the majority of players the time to study 1.8 and get a feel for it. It doesn't take a large amount of time to get used to something, and when you do get used to it, you'll barely notice a difference because of the repetitiveness of the tasks you are doing in the game. If you don't like 1.8, nobody is forcing you to play on MCG. I'm positive you could find a suitable alternative elsewhere.

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score
When the Devs issue a deadline, they don't do so because the day sounds nice or because they feel lucky on certain days; they issue deadlines based on how much time they estimate the task will require. But, as I stated previously, things always come up (be it unforseen problems or higher-priority distractions (like 1.8 bugfixes, hint hint)), thus they gradually fall behind.

Again, dev work is often unpredictable, especially in a high-energy, highly-dynamic, always-online environment like a global Minecraft network. Systems break down faster if they never stop, and it's not realistic for us to expect our developers to work faster than things can break (that's like being asked to write a research paper faster than it takes for a copier to copy it). And there is no way for us to "expect the unexpected" because that requires clairvoyance and a crystal ball, which we don't have the budget for.

Beforehand, we used to just give no deadlines or even announcements until the day of the newest release; ZedChase and SGC were two examples of things that just suddenly appeared to the public on short notice. I think there are some merits to that, but also drawbacks (particularly hype. You can't get people excited for something that they don't know about nor has no deadline). So really, there is no good system for our situation, but at least with delays and deadlines we can keep it on the forefront of peoples' minds as things to come.
I think the main issue with our devs and deadlines are impromptu roadtrips to Alaska.

Enlighten

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I can recall back when 1.7 was fresh off the press, and everyone shared the same attitude that is expressed here. It didn't turn out bad at all, did it? Once you can get used to something, regardless of flaws or impracticalities, it ain't bad at all.

Everything is imperfect - 1.8, MCG, etcetera. While I can surrender that there are several bugs floating around that do limit 'full' gameplay, it's certainly not a reason to abandon ship so soon. As several people have already pointed out, change is inevitable, and in this particular case, it should be welcomed - 1.8 brings a truckload of neat, nifty features that can be efficiently utilised to exact gameplay quality to a level that represents the quality MCG promises. As David | xRevalize mentioned earlier:
The second point is important. By further delaying 1.8, it'll be impossible to not only pro-actively update these new games, but it will also prove impossible to satisfy the majority: survival games players. The community screams for updates, fixes, additions, and removals, yet it's not that easy to do it when you're working on an outdated system, is it?

The gamemodes did, indeed, bring on a slew of bugs, glitches, and misfortunes, but to say that these gamemode additions are "useless" and "take up space and time" is an egotistical, asinine statement. Nobody plays these gamemodes right now because either nobody wants to bother trying it because of all the negative things they hear about it, or they have tried it first-hand and just prefer plain ol' SG, which isn't wrong.

While some of these new games may not amount to much, there are benefits to continuing their developement. It'll bring in new players, for one. The redundancy of SG servers is becoming ludicrous, and it's just one big battle between a hundred and one different SG servers. To meet the competition head on, you have to find ways to direct and attract new players - because of the already massive and immersive SG community, the need to focus on a different personnel is crucial. The merge with AVN was, in itself, crucial. There's so many benefits to developing these gamemodes, but most people choose to focus on the negatives. Give it time, and it'll grow. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Finally, due dates. Ahh... we all get mad when they aren't kept. I'm guilty as charged, and I'm quite certain many other people are, too. As Col_StaR said:

The development team is, admittedly, short-handed, and tasked with meeting the (childish?) demands of a large community - due dates will not always be kept!

What Col said was completely correct and accurate, but I feel that due dates also server another function; with how much the community whines and complains about "omg, when is this gonna be ready?", or "when will this bug be fixed?", it is extremely necessary to introduce due dates. If they don't, the community complains and gets the idea that the development team is lazy and doesn't amount to anything. On the other end of the spectrum, when they do insert a due date into the calender and involuntarily fail to meet it, the community still complains.

What all players alike have to realize is that things come up, and not everything can be met. Even in the business world will due dates be failed, however, this is particularly evident in the coding business. It's an enormous field, and there is much to study, analyse, and test. One wrong keystroke will practically render your project unusable. There isn't such a thing as a 'perfect developer/development team' who can expertly and efficiently handle and meet demands, due dates, and correctly deal with plugin malfunctions and failures in a timely fashion; it simply isn't possible. Things do come up, and testing plugins, and diagnosing and quarantining glitches isn't so easy as most think.

I was a bit shaken, too, when I heard the news about 1.8; it's safe to say most of us were. However, they scheduled an update time several weeks into the future, which should've given the majority of players the time to study 1.8 and get a feel for it. It doesn't take a large amount of time to get used to something, and when you do get used to it, you'll barely notice a difference because of the repetitiveness of the tasks you are doing in the game. If you don't like 1.8, nobody is forcing you to play on MCG. I'm positive you could find a suitable alternative elsewhere.
Thank you! You sir get a cookie!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci