• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Map stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
I didn't know whether this would belong in the Feature Suggestion subforum or the General Support subforum, so I stuck it here, seeing as how this is neutral ground. If this would belong in a different section of the forums, I request a mod move to the proper one.

I've only been here for a bit, but I've seen multiple complaints of people like xRpMx13, and a few others, stealing maps made by members of the MCSG community and not giving them credit. Would it be at all possible for people to add a copyright license to maps and where they can be downloaded from? For example, the Creative Commons license can let things protected by it to be copied and changed, provided a link back to the original map maker/artist/author is given. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Would something like this be usable to prevent map stealing? Or at the very least show who made the map?

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Copyrighting a minecraft map?
You have to be kidding me.
No, it wouldn't stop map stealing, and frankly, who cares? Anyone who plays MCSG knows the maps and their true makers. Tiny little third party SG communities make no difference.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
Copyrighting a minecraft map?
You have to be kidding me.
No, it wouldn't stop map stealing, and frankly, who cares? Anyone who plays MCSG knows the maps and their true makers. Tiny little third party SG communities make no difference.
You could at the very least threaten to sue and get the community involved into quite a bit of trouble.

Say if the map you're building right now was taken and put onto a server without your permission and without any credit being given. Would you be okay with that? I doubt it. When you've put work into building something, you want to be recognised for it.

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You could at the very least threaten to sue and get the community involved into quite a bit of trouble.

Say if the map you're building right now was taken and put onto a server without your permission and without any credit being given. Would you be okay with that? I doubt it. When you've put work into building something, you want to be recognised for it.
Considering my build isn't even done yet, they'd have an unfinished pile of stone.
I highly doubt you can sue someone over using a virtual minecraft world on their server. If I draw a picture with a crayola crayon, will I get sued for not saying the crayon was provided by crayola?

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
Considering my build isn't even done yet, they'd have an unfinished pile of stone.
I highly doubt you can sue someone over using a virtual minecraft world on their server. If I draw a picture with a crayola crayon, will I get sued for not saying the crayon was provided by crayola?
I mean when it is finished, of course.

And as I said.. you can threaten and scare them. ;)

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I mean when it is finished, of course.

And as I said.. you can threaten and scare them. ;)
Oh, like this?
"MY DAD IS A LAWYER AND IM FRIENDS WITH CHADTHEDJ. WE SILL SHUT YOU DOWN. YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO DELETE YOUR SERVERS OR YOUR GOING TO JAIL WHERE YOU WILL GET STABBED WITH TOOTHBRUSHES AND DIE."

sorry for all caps :p

kingusa12

Quantum
Reaction score
Oh, like this?
"MY DAD IS A LAWYER AND IM FRIENDS WITH CHADTHEDJ. WE SILL SHUT YOU DOWN. YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO DELETE YOUR SERVERS OR YOUR GOING TO JAIL WHERE YOU WILL GET STABBED WITH TOOTHBRUSHES AND DIE."

lolwat I'm scared now.

Pipiska

Survivor
Reaction score
Oh, like this?

That's exactly how it works!

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's simple. If you don't want other servers using your map, don't provide a public download link. Of course, this wouldn't stop world downloader, but you would have a stronger case, if you were to sue.

Bredinabox

Experienced
Reaction score
no it's more like this :p

YOU GUYS ARE BICK IDIOTS, WHO DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE MAPS. IF YOU DON'T GET RID OF THOSE MAPS, ILL FART SO LOUD THAT THE WORLD WILL SHOVE YOU NOSE IN CHINESE NOODLES AND BAN YOUR SERVER WHILE IM AT IT

:p

Zado

Platinum
Reaction score
Well, if they (the map creators) Put out a download link, anyone has the ability to use it.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Alright, so the general opinion is that if you provide a public download, you have no say in what happens to the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci