• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Make following do something

Yay or Nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Nay!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

TomoHD

Survivor
Reaction score
So as many of you know you can follow a member on these forums. This doesn't actually do anything at the moment so here is my list of what I think following should do.

A) When following somebody if they update their status it gives you an alert. This is useful for keeping in touch with people and for people like me you just enjoy snooping around peoples business. It may seem a bit stalky but it is up to the user to choose his status so this shouldn't cause too many problems

B) When following someone if that person posts a reply to a thread it alerts you. This would allow you to see what someone you follow's opinion on something and brings to your attention popular threads. The only negative in this would be the cluttering of alerts but that can be controlled by controlling the amount of people you choose to follow.

C) This one may be harder to implement but is useful anyway. So when following somebody if they win a game it alerts you. This allows you to see your friends progress in the games and helps you suss out who's good and who's , maybe useful for newer players. The only cons in this would be implementing this as I can imagine it being hard also it could clutter of alerts but this can be stopped by not following people like Elisha who keep on winning XD

Thanks for reading and leave your opinions please!

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
I like idea A a lot. It would make it so much easier to keep aware of everything everyone important is thinking at all times :D

I'm not too sure about idea B, maybe when someone started watching a thread as opposed to just replying to it? That way you could still follow their opinion, without getting insane alert spam.

As to idea C, I don't like it. It doesn't really seem necessary (don't see what would be gained from it), and rather spammy.

Like the idea of making following mean something though!

<1337 Tomo

TomoHD

Survivor
Reaction score
I like idea A a lot. It would make it so much easier to keep aware of everything everyone important is thinking at all times :D

I'm not too sure about idea B, maybe when someone started watching a thread as opposed to just replying to it? That way you could still follow their opinion, without getting insane alert spam.

As to idea C, I don't like it. It doesn't really seem necessary (don't see what would be gained from it), and rather spammy.

Like the idea of making following mean something though!

<1337 Tomo
Yeah see what you mean by B meaning useless and C was just thrown in there because it would be cool for me.
Thanks

hwracer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This.Is.Epic

Fail to the people who follow over 200 people. Their notifications would be going mental xD

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone would be spammed :p

Anyway, im not sure about this. Dont trust me but I think following is part of the forum that cant be tweaked. So they may not be able to change it

WalrusMad

Survivor
Reaction score
Can the admins of this forum really edit that stuff? I those things are more hard wired in, right? XD

Nadarekyle

Career
Reaction score
As long as you can turn off certain notifications for certain people, I'm down with this :D

Howsie22

Career
Reaction score
Big YAY
These soung like some pretty cool ideas I would like to see the majority of them implemented :D

shootingsignals

Survivor
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't actually believe its possible for any of these suggestions to be implemented as I don't think XenForo have options for them however, I may be wrong.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
So as many of you know you can follow a member on these forums. This doesn't actually do anything at the moment so here is my list of what I think following should do.
Actually, it does do two things:

When on the main page, when you look to the right, you will see in the "members online" list a separate list for members you follow that are online, also showing their avatars instead of just their name.

Also, if you go to your account in the upper right corner, you will open a drop down and one option is "news feed". This will show you all posts, likes, status updates, etc,. that the users you follow have made.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci