• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Let's Stay Positive

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Recently, I have seen a ton of negativity on the forums and my honest opinion is it ruins the forums and the community. Because of this, I decided to make a thread about keeping your posts positive and kind. It's up to us all to make the forums a more enjoyable and fun place like they use to be. I don't know about you, but I personally am tired of waking up to ten threads 'remove this' or 'why are the staff not doing this?!?!?'

Complaining
Complaining is in all inevitable, but it can be kept to a minimal. Everyday, there are threads that complain about plugins, bugs, staff, hackers, teamers, and the list goes on and on. Making a thread about it will most likely not help your cause. In fact, it will only make the issue worse. There are many ways to prevent yourself from complaining.

First of all, try to look at the positive affects of a decision or situation instead of the negatives. For example, when the the administration and developers made the decision to drop 1.7 support, about 10 threads were made complaining. Instead of looking at the PvP, look at the bright side: bugs will be easier to fix, new blocks can be used on new/current maps for better gameplay, and PvP will get better as new updates occur. This will keep you calm and prevent you from getting caught up in a flame war.

In addition, look at solutions for the negative things and present the solutions instead of simply complaining about it. For example, with hackers, you could make a thread with an idea to prevent them instead of making a thread complaining about it. Let's say cleansweeps weren't a thing. You could make a thread saying a more description of cleansweeps instead of saying 'HACKER HACKER HACKER!@##$!#@$11!!!' This will help the staff deal with the issue to the best of its ability. Making a thread complaining doesn't help your cause unless you include solutions to them.

Finally, instead of making a thread, feel free to vent to the staff or a friend privately. Personally, I have many issues that I just want to go on and on about in a thread or in Slack, but instead I'll talk to a fellow moderator or even sometimes a Sr. Mod/Admin. (Even though this works, please be sure to say somewhere in the private message that you're are venting or else they might take you serious and get upset with you.) It will make you feel a lot better knowing someone is listening to your concerns.

Overall, complaining is something that you want to avoid making a thread or post about. It wont get you very far, and there are many solutions to getting things fixed that don't involve arguing. I think that real discussions and deep questions on the forums are a lot more fun to read and respond to than complaints, so let's all try to keep things positive and stop complaining.

Criticism
Often times, I will see threads criticizing a clan, staff, or even as far as the developers (which is crazy to me). Honestly, not only is it negative, but it is mean. People work so hard for things and to have people sit and tell them they're doing it wrong or they don't like it is mean. I have been cursed at, DDoSed, abused to no end, and much much more, but that doesn't offend me. I get offended when I see threads that say 'mods do your jobs!' There are ways to make constructive feedback instead of hurtful, mean criticism.

The first way to do so is to focus on all the positive things about someone's work or idea. If someone proposes an idea for preventing boosters, and you come back and say 'this idea sucks, get out of here,' you are not only being impolite but you're also putting forth destructive criticism. Instead, say something like 'this idea is good, but I don't think that this will work because... instead of this idea, maybe we could do this.' It not only gives positive feedback, but it also doesn't offend of hurt the person with the idea.

Another way to remain positive is by not saying anything at all. If there is absolutely nothing you like about the idea or work, then don't say anything or go back to the complaining steps. I know you hear this everyday from your parents, but I am going to say it again: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. If everyone followed this rule, the MCGamer forums (and in-game) would be an amazing place.

Most of the times, criticism isn't the way to get things done. In fact, it will only get people angry with you and that should be the last thing you want. If you give good, constructive feedback you will work towards a solution. Instead of causing and starting flame, let's all strive to reach solutions.

Abuse/Cyberbullying
I don't even know where to start here other that these three words: it is horrible. As a staff member, I have seen horrible--and I mean horrible-- things said to others. I have talked to people who are crying because they've been abused. Actually, about a month ago I ran into someone who was considering committing suicide. Abuse and cyberbullying are the worst and most negative things on the network. There are many ways to deal with abuse and to limit it.

For one, you can report anyone who abuses you, and we strongly encourage you do so. I've had experience with people in real life and on Minecraft who were bullied or abused, and nothing means more to them than getting justice for what they were victimized for. Please report abuse (and other offenses) at http://report.mcgamer.info. It may seem like it cannot help, but it can.

Also, if you've been abused and you feel depressed or sad--whether it be on MCGamer or in real life--please contact me or another staff member. We are here for you. Even if it may seem we are only here to ban hackers and deal with issues, we are ultimately here for you. Please PM one of us and we'd be happy to respond with words of encouragement and/or love. I know it seems cheesy, but it honestly isn't. We all work for something in life, but unfortunately most people are working for themselves. Instead, let's try to work for others.

Finally, for those who choose to abuse others: either leave or stop it. Eventually, you will end up being banned. And not only that, people will dislike you. I think it is best for you and for everyone else if you just remain kind and respectful. Gaming can make people nasty, but it doesn't have to. Let the part of you that is loving and caring rule in your heart like a shield to the negative and mean part. You'll live a better life.

Abuse isn't something that can disappear, but it can be better prevented. If we all worked for others and let the love in us overrule the mean part of us, the gaming community and world will be a better place.

In conclusion, this all leads back to the golden rule: do unto other as you'd have them do unto you. I hope you read this and go out to the world/server with open arms to your fellow gamers/citizens. [/rantover] <33

Reaction score
When I make threads about "complaining" I am not bashing on the staff I am writing the stuff that they can fix.

WookiePack101

Experienced
Reaction score
I agree, however the only people willing to change are the ones who don't do it. To remain positive, without negativity, being positive wouldn't be a thing, so we should be grateful.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
When I make threads about "complaining" I am not bashing on the staff I am writing the stuff that they can fix.
I understand that, but at sometimes my fellow staff and I feel bashed or offended. Instead, can you please propose ideas and solutions instead of complaints. I really do want to help you wish your issues, but I also want to make sure that everyone stays nice. I really do want you to know that we understand you just want changes, but we also feel you're going about it the wrong way. So, please, can you try to do what I said in the thread? I honestly think the forums could be an awesome place if we all did.
I agree, however the only people willing to change are the ones who don't do it. To remain positive, without negativity, being positive wouldn't be a thing, so we should be grateful.
I am sort of confused. "The people willing to change are the ones who don't do it." Can you please explain that?

WookiePack101

Experienced
Reaction score
I am sort of confused. "The people willing to change are the ones who don't do it." Can you please explain that?
The only people who are good enough to take your advice, thoroughly read this thread and improve themselves, don't need your advice or to thoroughly read this thread. In other words, I see where you're coming from, and you're right, but unfortunately I doubt this thread will help.

Reaction score
So I have to edit the thread right?
I understand that, but at sometimes my fellow staff and I feel bashed or offended. Instead, can you please propose ideas and solutions instead of complaints. I really do want to help you wish your issues, but I also want to make sure that everyone stays nice. I really do want you to know that we understand you just want changes, but we also feel you're going about it the wrong way. So, please, can you try to do what I said in the thread? I honestly think the forums could be an awesome place if we all did.

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
This is the internet. People are oblivious to what people tell them as they believe they are always right. On other forums I use, even when admins step in, lock threads and even give bans, it just continues.
I believe the best way to counteract this is to ignore it so that the positive people stay positive and let the negative ones make a fool themselves.
If someone does step out of line, they should of course be given a punishment.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
This is the internet. People are oblivious to what people tell them as they believe they are always right. On other forums I use, even when admins step in, lock threads and even give bans, it just continues.
I believe the best way to counteract this is to ignore it so that the positive people stay positive and let the negative ones make a fool themselves.
If someone does step out of line, they should of course be given a punishment.
Yeah, but the thing is there are a fairly large amount of negative people who feel into it. In the long run, they get what they want and then they continue it. :/

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Matthew 7:1-6, another great lesson that can relate to this.

I'd put the text of it in here but I'm on my phone ;-;

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci