• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Leaving During the Setup Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogTen

Tribute
Reaction score
-So, just about every game I join, there is at least 1 person that leaves during the setup period, which is annoying because someone else could currently be playing instead. While the person may be leaving for legit reasons, they may be doing it on purpose. I have a friend that actually asked me to stay in the game until that point (So wait in the lobby until it starts, then leave, just to be mean) to then join a different one (As he wasn't able to get in the game).

-So a fairly "simple" (Unsure on the coding side, but the idea of it) fix is the have a 10 Min Cool-down if you leave the game in the Setup Stage. I mean, if you leave during that time, then you probably are going to stop playing for 30 Mins anyways (Like to go do the chore that they forgot to do and had to urgently do).

-During that 10 Minute Cool-down, you can't join games that are in the Lobby. Joining a in progress game is fine as you won't be ruining anything and can watch.

-Thanks for Reading! Remember, this is a rough idea of it, and there are most likely a couple things that could be changed.

Edit- I'm currently seeing if this is still applicable now that people know the map ahead of time. Will update later.

NinjaShrimp

Experienced
Reaction score
There should already be a cool down period of 2 minutes from leaving a server to joining another.

MadDogTen

Tribute
Reaction score
There should already be a cool down period of 2 minutes from leaving a server to joining another.
If you mean for Donors, then sure, if you happen to Kick someone for the slot, and that's in the lobby.

Otherwise, I haven't had any kind of Cooldown period, leaving from the lobby, or during the set-up period (Not that I make a habit of doing it, I think I did 1 time). Ether as a regular person or a donor.

Plus, I wouldn't think 2 Minutes is enough for that, I mean, that's nothing if your just trying to screw with people.

Edit- I was just rereading what you said, and do you mean when I Donor joins a full game? Because yes there is the cool-down for the donor in that case, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Nick Fioretti

Tribute
Reaction score
This seems a bit harsh. I understand where you are coming from, but a 30 minute cooldown is a bit extreme. I would say a 5 minute cooldown is acceptable. I don't know if they can do that just for lobbies though. It would take a long time for the developers to develop this. I don't think this is a big enough issue to be on the top of their "list" of things to do for the servers. It is a good idea, and hopefully it happens in the future.

MadDogTen

Tribute
Reaction score
This seems a bit harsh. I understand where you are coming from, but a 30 minute cooldown is a bit extreme. I would say a 5 minute cooldown is acceptable. I don't know if they can do that just for lobbies though. It would take a long time for the developers to develop this. I don't think this is a big enough issue to be on the top of their "list" of things to do for the servers. It is a good idea, and hopefully it happens in the future.
30 Minutes was just a number a picked off the top of my head. 5 Minutes still seems a bit short, Maybe 10 Minutes. The reasoning is, if they leave during that time, then whatever they leave for must be urgent enough that they shouldn't come back that quickly.

It doesn't "have" to be only for lobby's, but that was for if the person didn't actually mean to leave (Crash, Misclick, Etc), they would have something to do within that time.

I agree that its not a huge issue or anything, just something that should be kept on the back of their minds.

Nick Fioretti

Tribute
Reaction score
30 Minutes was just a number a picked off the top of my head. 5 Minutes still seems a bit short, Maybe 10 Minutes. The reasoning is, if they leave during that time, then whatever they leave for must be urgent enough that they shouldn't come back that quickly.

It doesn't "have" to be only for lobby's, but that was for if the person didn't actually mean to leave (Crash, Misclick, Etc), they would have something to do within that time.

I agree that its not a huge issue or anything, just something that should be kept on the back of their minds.
Exactly

Stijn

District 13
Reaction score
I know what you mean, and sometimes I have this problem minecraft just stops working and I leave.
It would be unfair If I get punished for that.
People don't leave on purpose at the beginning.

snoopyk9

Diamond
Reaction score
Yeah, my game crashes all the time because of the map change. DAMN YOU JAVA!

Solarstrife

Spectator
Reaction score
If they really just wanted to screw with people by logging out, they would just wait until after the setup stage ends to leave the game and not get the penalty. After that, I don't think it would be fair to impose a cool-down period as people crash all the time halfway through a game. At any rate, I don't really think the amount of people who leave during the setup period just for spite is large enough to warrant any kind of penalty.

MadDogTen

Tribute
Reaction score
If they really just wanted to screw with people by logging out, they would just wait until after the setup stage ends to leave the game and not get the penalty. After that, I don't think it would be fair to impose a cool-down period as people crash all the time halfway through a game. At any rate, I don't really think the amount of people who leave during the setup period just for spite is large enough to warrant any kind of penalty.
Then at least they wasted 30 Secs waiting for the game to start. Of course you wouldn't get a penalty for leaving during the game, as it already takes points for it.

So, your saying this happening at least 1 time a game isn't a lot? Because it is in my book.

Reaction score
30 minutes is extreme. The 2 minute cooldown is enough. Someone doing this to "mess" with people isn't a huge impact. But harsh sentences like half hour cooldowns is completely insensitive to those with bad connections that can drop, or crashy computers as they'd have their entire experience ruined.

Solarstrife

Spectator
Reaction score
Then at least they wasted 30 Secs waiting for the game to start. Of course you wouldn't get a penalty for leaving during the game, as it already takes points for it.

So, your saying this happening at least 1 time a game isn't a lot? Because it is in my book.
I mean most people don't do it to mess with people, they just don't like the map that was picked. In my opinion, the best way to deal with this issue would be to allow people to join during the setup period instead of giving a penalty to those who leave. That way it wouldn't matter if someone leaves, because they can be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci