• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

iPads or Chromebooks for Students?

Which device is better for a High School Student to use?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Chromebook. Get the app called Caret; great app for coding.

Edit: Chromebook doesn't support Java.

Try teaching Javascript/HTML/CSS

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score
My school is based on technology and does the same exact thing you are talking about. I feel that using my ipad is a lot easier when doing schoolwork and studying. Sure a chromebook might be better for some things, but overall an ipad is easier. Most kids in my highschool use an ipad and they love it.

Using an ipad for studying a textbook is so much easier and more. An ipad has a much better battery life and a touch screen. I study, take notes, type essays, make powerpoints and do research everyday all on my ipad with no problems. As a student who does the same things you listed on a day to day basis, just go with an ipad.

Last edited:

Alloy

Experienced
Reaction score
I take an iPad mini to school, I use an external keyboard. If chromebook is available, it's way better but just bare in mind that iPad's are more portable and practical.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
As someone who's school provides iPads for students, I can tell you that 60% of students will be playing games on it during class unless they are under the pressure of the teachers to actually do work; however, it does make it a lot easier for teachers to collect and evaluate students' work. As for Chromebooks, they're less portable and more expensive, but they do support more things than the iPad Really, I am double-sided on this since they both have their pros and cons.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
My high school is giving everyone Lenovo Yogas (grades 9 and 10 got them this year, and every subsequent grade will, and I'm actually using mine now :p) and I feel like they've worked out really well. Of course people screw around on them in class, that will always happen, but there actually are a lot of things I can use it for in class and at home and I'm glad I have it. I feel like my experience might be able to provide some good insight into the debate.

When it comes to your school, I feel like the Chromebooks would probably be the better of the two choices. IPads are probably less prone to tech issues and are simpler to use, but seeing as the devices will be in the hands of high schoolers, you shouldn't have too many confused kids. The Chromebook provides better avenues for collaboration (my school has a Google account for every student, which make sharing things via Gmail or Google Docs very simple) and is easier to type on when it comes to writing. I would also imagine that it would be easier to take the exam on the Chromebook, as it's easy to accidentally press things on touchscreens. While cost is certainly a concern, I do feel like Chromebooks would be able to do more for you.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I once did a week of programming, and that class just had students make an app on a PC, then send it to an Android tablet. This was pretty limited, however.

If you want more open-source code, it seems that computers are more open to it. They're not limited by bad CPUs, quickly-draining batteries, or touchscreen gestures, either. So the Chromebook would likely be better for what your school is doing.

Cimmy

Diamond
Reaction score
My school probably gets more money than it needs. All students from Year 5 and up have Macbook Airs. To take home. Kid you not. We now have eTextbooks. If someone forgets their laptop, whoops, you can't learn anything today. People today are relying too heavily on technology, and I know that sounds dumb, but people need to wake up and realise that technology doesn't always work.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
My school probably gets more money than it needs. All students from Year 5 and up have Macbook Airs. To take home. Kid you not. We now have eTextbooks. If someone forgets their laptop, whoops, you can't learn anything today. People today are relying too heavily on technology, and I know that sounds dumb, but people need to wake up and realise that technology doesn't always work.
It would work the same way if you had textbooks to take home. If someone forgot their book, they wouldn't be able to do anything. Technology doesn't always work, but it gives a lot more options.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci