• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Innapropriate Names.

Does this seem fair, and a good idea?

• No, they're the idiots who made their names bad in the first place :p

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Yes, its a good thing to implement.

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
And that's why it should be added, say someone made a dirty account when they were 9, and they don't have the money to buy one now that they've matured.
I like that idea. But I think also think that this should be something really hard to obtain. Like interviewed or something along those lines if they really wanted it changed.
How about there can be a section where people can apply for nicknames, and if they give good reasons and write some good paragraphs about why they should be able to change their name, they can get the username they requested as long as it also doesn't go against the rules. But it would also have to be a good application.

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread the thread.

Even still, it would take a lot of effort on our sides to find everyone and completely rename them.

Before you think we're lazy (we aren't), is it really fair to have to go and completely rename someone who didn't think "Gee, I probably shouldn't put bad language in my username?".

Just my thoughts really, please don't get the wrong idea that we're lazy, it's simply a matter of "Why should we" to be completely honest here.

I wouldn't hate the idea, it'd be nice to let them have a chance, but again, when you make an inappropriate minecraft name, you need to consider the consequences that follow.
Mhm, seriously, why even make a name which contains bad words in it?

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Most players who have inappropiate names either have money to spend, or had recieved it from a bank of alternatives. At the moment inappropiate names are permanently banned, but this system actually can work. There could be a moderator command to do /rename [name], and it'll change the player's name to say "T34573" after the "T" it will generate a random non-taken number to display the name as.

To avoid confusion the name could display normally to moderators, and be highlighted yellow or underlined to show if it's already been changed. You have my support on this idea. :)

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
Most players who have inappropiate names either have money to spend, or had recieved it from a bank of alternatives. At the momeny inappropiate names are permanently banned, but this system actually can work. There could be a moderator command to do /rename [name], and it'll change the player's name to say "T34573" after the "T" it will generate a random non-taken number to display the name as.

To avoid confusion the name could display normally to moderators, and be highlighted yellow or underlined to show if it's already been changed. You have my support on this idea. :)
Yay!

DatPikachu

District 13
Reaction score
I saw a guy playing MCSG with the name PedoPen15. xD. Something like that idk

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
It is 50/50. I want to hear some arguements here, of why shouldn't it be added. Because so far the only point was that they shouldn't have named it that originally. If this was a debate, the yes' implement it side would be winning ;)

Matt_The Dreamer

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I could see many people going onto the forums shouting; "Y is mah naem banned?"

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
As stated, people should use their common sense when creating Minecraft usernames. Anyone who calls themselves, for example, ****head1337 would be fully aware that a lot of people will not allow it on their servers. They realise that when they pay $20 for a Minecraft account.

However, we do realise that you can't change your IGN. For that reason, we usually only ban the ones that are strongly inappropriate. As is stated on the rules, this is the only type of ban which you are allowed to void with an alternate account, provided it is named in an appropriate manner.

Players with nicknames will create jealousy from other players. They will most likely have short, sought-after names. Once players find out that these banned people are actually getting special treatment, ie. a new name (which many players on our servers have asked for) then I can see a lot of problems arising, and in extreme cases, people creating profane Minecraft accounts just to get a nickname.

Also there's another issue. A nickname does not display the full name of the user, which is what is to be used if we were to ban them. So, if a mod is in game, and sees a person hacking, they will assume that is the actual IGN (or if they can see that it is a nickname, they still won't know the actual name of the player) and so will not be able to punish the player if they do break rules. Even if it was made so moderators can see their true IGN, regular players would still not be able to report them for things like hacking in videos and screenshots.

So, basically: too much trouble for the devs to create a function that helps people who knew full well that the name was not allowed, and it has too many cons.

Also, I would add, as one of the people who deals with ban disputes, disputes for inappropriate usernames are highly uncommon. They are not "banned and banned until they are eventually perma banned", all of them are instantly perm banned.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Also there's another issue. A nickname does not display the full name of the user, which is what is to be used if we were to ban them. So, if a mod is in game, and sees a person hacking, they will assume that is the actual IGN (or if they can see that it is a nickname, they still won't know the actual name of the player) and so will not be able to punish the player if they do break rules. Even if it was made so moderators can see their true IGN, regular players would still not be able to report them for things like hacking in videos and screenshots.
I agree with everything you said, but there was a command on a server I used to play on which allowed staff members to find out the details about a player, including what their real Minecraft username is if they have a nickname. That could be used in this situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci