• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Idea for Asia Servers.

Reaction score
A

Actually, you can.
Buying servers in boxes is their choice.
It is actually possible to buy a specific amount of servers.
Buying them in boxes is easier, and I believe more efficient/cheep. They wouldn't just buy 24 servers individually, would they? The system they have now is fine, and it isn't fair to possibly hold back all of the community from future updates just for 2 dedicated servers. Trust me, when they want to do this, they will. It just saves money as of right now.

RvngeOG

Diamond
Reaction score
Buying them in boxes is easier, and I believe more efficient/cheep. They wouldn't just buy 24 servers individually, would they? The system they have now is fine, and it isn't fair to possibly hold back all of the community from future updates just for 2 dedicated servers. Trust me, when they want to do this, they will. It just saves money as of right now.
Okay. Even though MCGamer has literally hundreds of donors, I don't see a "big deal" in getting a "few" AS Servers.
I understand the AS community is small, but that was almost a year ago.
The community of AS Players has increased alot.
Even if they start off with 25 servers, I'm sure it's just enough for us.
And as of now, I don't know.
I just want the staff team to be aware of this.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
Col_StaR please write some detailed response about how it's not happening and lock the thread.
The server didn't pay for itself. Basically there were too less donation from AS to keep the AS server running. If it would ever happen that there are less donation in CA than the cost of it running, they'll probably close the CA servers aswell.

Last edited:

N0va

Survivor
Reaction score
The fiber fundraising reflects the first round as it benefited US only. We are looking to use the funds to upgrade our AU location plus adding maybe other locations like South America or Asia again.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give this thread credit: at least it offers a different idea and acknowledges that starting up a region is inherently risky. Everyone else throws out this suggestion like it'll be perfect and it'll always be perfect and then it will cure cancer with absolutely no downsides whatsoever.

Unfortunately, that really doesn't change the overall requirements necessary to start an AS region again. What do we need for AS servers? Everything that was written down here (Just change South American to Asian): LINK.
However, we acknowledge that the AS region seems to be growing once again, which makes the region more enticing to return to. Once we reach a critical point where our risk is reduced enough, and we have enough resources to invest, then maybe we will bring back AS. That's partly what the Quantum is for.

In regards to the, "just buy a few dedicated servers" idea...
You can't just get 2-3 dedicated servers, can you? Since MCSG chooses to buy servers in boxes, the minimum amount you can buy is 25. That's 25 servers for a decently small community (so I think. I didn't play on as, just judging on what people have said).
Actually, you can.
Buying servers in boxes is their choice.
It is actually possible to buy a specific amount of servers.
The reason we buy servers is boxes is because of the amount of hardware and resources required to run our system. Plus, we can configure whatever we want in the box, which helps with development and installation. We can try and run on half a box, but you folks wouldn't like it. However, it is true that we choose how many dedicated servers to run off that box, and we choose to put about 25 servers per box. We could go with a smaller number, but what's the point? We'd be wasting money by not using all our server's resources for no discernible number than arbitrary numbers.

Really, don't worry about server numbers or whether we can host in a box or a hexagonal prism. Worry about the initial investment cost and server maintenance costs, because that is what decides if AS is worth doing from a business perspective; we aren't going to put money into something that loses us money, because that'd be a bad investment. Now, good Asian server providers are quite expensive, and we'd need to allocate our developers to help with the installation of the servers as well (which is also quite pricey). And there's always the fact that we need to pay for those boxes monthly. Given everything, we need thousands of dollars to get things running and keep them running for 3 months. People like to demand for the AS region, but getting new players who are willing to donate is the difficult part.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Or maybe you can become a dev, export the plugin to your own server, and like be a boss...

that would be amazing
but its never gonna happen
i suck at html
im crying now
Not only is that materially impossible (all MC plugins run on Java, which is quite different than design-based HTML), but it would also be illegal if you weren't an MCG Dev.
Maybe a pay-to-play as region????
Also illegal, since the Mojang EULA prevents specifically this. Plus such a cost barrier to entry would definitely prevent players from joining in the first place.

RvngeOG

Diamond
Reaction score
Not only is that materially impossible (all MC plugins run on Java, which is quite different than design-based HTML), but it would also be illegal if you weren't an MCG Dev.

Also illegal, since the Mojang EULA prevents specifically this. Plus such a cost barrier to entry would definitely prevent players from joining in the first place.
Thanks for all your replies!
Just wondering, do you think AS Servers at least have a chance, considering all the donations to the server so far?
Or, I would suggest having a "poll" to add the AS Servers. This should give an idea of how much the community is interested.

I am sorry for mentioning this topic a lot.

Thanks!
-Rvnge

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci