• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to stop random internet lag spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I have been getting random internet lag spikes in-game, and have no idea why. These lag spikes usually happen randomly about every 4-6 seconds, but will usually always happen the second I initiate a fight. My ping will go up to 600-1000 and I will ghost. I will be full iron diamond sword, and when I try to kill a guy with almost full leather and wood sword, I will ghost and next thing you know i'm dead. Has anyone had the same problem, and maybe know how to fix this? If it helps, my internet provider is TWC.

Here is an example of my ping rising from normal (approximately 100-150) to 699. (I apologize for spamming the /ping command, was trying to experiment)

Spectral_Slayer

Platinum
Reaction score
Have you had a recent change in internet providers? Also, check your router settings

Spectral_Slayer

Platinum
Reaction score
Make sure there has been no changes with any settings. Ask your parents if they have messed with anything. Also, it could be because there are other people in the house using too much

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
I recommend you try playing on the different regions MCGamer has. Your family or people using your internet at the same time can give you these lag spikes; if this is your case, schedule your gaming time so you don't lag while playing anymore.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
Make sure there has been no changes with any settings. Ask your parents if they have messed with anything. Also, it could be because there are other people in the house using too much
Possible theory, I'll look into it!

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I recommend you try playing on the different regions MCGamer has. Your family or people using your internet at the same time can give you these lag spikes; if this is your case, schedule your gaming time so you don't lag while playing anymore.
I live in eastern US, I basically get the same ping in CA servers and US servers so I can't really play on a different region then those two. This problem started happening recently, and my family barely goes on the internet but when they do, it's to look up basic things, so I don't think that could be the problem.

Pearlyyy

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I've been having this some experience too ;-;

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score
One thing that you want to check is your taskbar programming settings which is:

-->

Usually big programs like, Steam, Utorrent, Orgins, and Teamspeak/Skype are activated on here and you can close them to get less ping. But I would say get a better internet provider, I have Century Link and I'm switching soon, because Google Fiber will be available in my city in a couple years or so.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
One thing that you want to check is your taskbar programming settings which is:

-->

Usually big programs like, Steam, Utorrent, Orgins, and Teamspeak/Skype are activated on here and you can close them to get less ping. But I would say get a better internet provider, I have Century Link and I'm switching soon, because Google Fiber will be available in my city in a couple years or so.
I'm not trying to get better ping, i'm okay with my ping. I'm just trying to stop these random lag spikes that make me go from 5 bars to 2 bars every 4 seconds. Do you think it's Time Warner that is causing this?

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
One thing that actually happened to me had nothing to do with my internet. I was experiencing the same issues. Turned out that my RAM allocation was too small, and Minecraft would stop for a moment every few seconds in order to have the game catch up. You can test if this is happening to you by:
1. Going into game, and waiting for the lag spikes.
2. While the lag spikes are occurring, press f3.
3. In the top right, you should see your percentage of memory use.
4. If when Minecraft stops, your percentage nears 100%, and then goes down when Minecraft resumes, this could be your problem.

In order to fix this, you just need to allocate more RAM to Minecraft. This turned out to be my issue, and my resolution.
Hope this helped :)
~Cubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci