• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How do YOU plan your maps?

MW3Guy_

Tribute
Reaction score

"How do YOU plan your maps?"
*Note - this is just on PLANNING your maps

I have never really seen this question asked before, and I think it would be a fun thing to do!
I myself, have never made a map but plan on doing so in a while. So this topic will help me out, as well as other people looking for help on planning a map!
-
This question is going out to all the map makers that HAVE planned/made maps for MCSG, that we all loved (most of the time) I want this question answered either basically or something else (maybe formal or something), but really I am kind of asking just an opinion on how you plan your maps.
-
Some questions that can be answered:

Where/How do you find *le inspiration for you map?

About how long does it take you to plan a map?

What do you use to plan your map? (ei. Photoshop)

and so on and so forth, the basics.
-
Feel free to ask other questions in this topic as it could be a question on someone else's mind!

Thanks!
MW3Guy

Coferic

Gold
Reaction score
I usually get help from my bae <3 kazoodles123 when we're skyping at 3:00 A.M.

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
Mostly I just pull them out of my brain which is kinda awkward for everyone involved since they're like 'What do you want us to do? where should this go?' 'i don't know, i'll figure it out'
I am not the best at this.

Though I do encourage the use of reference pictures and for my team to construct major builds on flatland plots before placing them on the map, which is how we did our big map thats coming out shortly.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
We get a concept/theme, so all the members know what they are building or to what style they should be building to, and then I terraform the world, after that we just build on top of the land and go with the flow! Starting a map is the most hardest part of the process, trust me.

SonicSplit

Career
Reaction score
Well I am starting my first map that I might actually finish if I manage to get world edit so I will a bit on what I have seen/done. First off inspiration I usually get by looking/listening to media. For example the map I am making (surprisingly by myself) is themed to an album (not naming it because I just started and do not want to give much away). For planning it usually depends on how much builds there are. Usually this part takes up to 15 minutes if you are going by something in media. If you are doing it with no basis on media it could take more. To plan I use my imagination however I am going to make a paint model eventually or a in-game model (which Biffington has done actually). Hope this helps ^_^

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
I really don't find ideas. If I see something that I like, I'd make it into a map.
Planning? I do most in my head, then when my gigs run out, I spread it out on a document.
If I were to build a map of course. LazZZZZ.

Ninetailefox92

District 13
Reaction score
Map planning! The key to making a good map a great map.

Where/How do you find *le inspiration for you map? I don't find inspiration, you shouldn't be pushing for a theme, it is best to do a map theme which comes naturally. I generally have a lot of creative ideas so I find this relatively easy, if you struggle for theme just think about things you like, a cool film or game and get a theme as a basis.

About how long does it take you to plan a map?

It can range from 5 minutes to weeks, completely depends on how solid the idea is, personally I look through concept art pictures of the idea I have chosen to get inspired and compile the pictures I like into a folder. Then I organise the key locations of the map to where I believe they should be on the map, sometimes I sketch it out but most of the time its just in my head.

What do you use to plan your map? (ei. Photoshop)
Paper/photoshop it doesn't really matter to me, whatever is available when I get struck by inspiration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci